Grainy Icing Problem..s O L V E D!!!

Baking By cakefairy18 Updated 10 Nov 2005 , 8:04pm by cakefairy18

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 7

OK, so i was making dream whip icing b.c it's not supposed to be too sweet or grainy tasting...i didnt buy it b/c it's all crisco and i just hate that...but i gave it a try anyways..well, guess what, it came out grainy...that's when it hit me, i must be doing something wrong, so i re-read the instructions.."mix well for 1-2 minutes" i usually stop it when it's all incorporated..so i set my watch and 2 minutes of mixing on #4..well, i tasted it, and it was AMAZING! light, fluffy, definately not too sweet and NOT GRAINY!!! icon_biggrin.gif woooo hooooooo!!!!!

moral of the story, read the instrusctions and take them literally: 2 minutes is 2 minutes not just until u think 2 minutes is up.. icon_rolleyes.gif

just thought i would share incase anyone else had the same problem

6 replies
doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 7

Don't worry..... you are not alone. Same thing happened for me. All of a sudden it was fluffier than usual and wasn't so grainy. YEAH!!!!!!!

MomofThree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomofThree Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 7

I figured this out through trial and error when I was practicing for my first wedding cake back in the spring. I realized that I needed to check my frosting by feel instead of taste. I rub a small amount between my thumb and finger - if it still feels grainy instead of silky then I keep on beating it. Congratulations - it does feel good to figure something like that out! thumbs_up.gif

cakefairy18 Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 7

oh ya...it feels great...does anyone know if i can defrost the icing i had from before and jsut whip it if it will become light and fluffly like that??

i think i might try

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 7

I always do the until I think it's done too! LOL! I'll learn from your experience. Thanks!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefairy18

oh ya...it feels great...does anyone know if i can defrost the icing i had from before and jsut whip it if it will become light and fluffly like that??

i think i might try

...certainly, just bring it to room temp and then re-beat it. Keep in mind that the longer you beat it and the fluffer it gets....then the more air bubbles you get too!

cakefairy18 Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 7

oh but i don't beat it on high..usually #2 or 4..i just beat it for long...i didn't have a problem with air bubbles...i'm jsut wondering if it will crust the way i like it and if i can smoothe it with the hot water/spatula trick. There is flour in the recipe so i think it should crust nicely...i guess we'll see

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%