Need Some Creative Brains...mine Is Fried....

Decorating By IHATEFONDANT Updated 10 Nov 2005 , 8:15pm by gmcakes

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 11:55am
post #1 of 11

I'm doing a wedding cake for December...the bride wants one of the snowflake cakes. No problem.

I'm trying to come up with a creative display idea. I'm going to use piles of styrofoam balls to look like snow balls and scatter them about the cake. But I want something "wintery" to place the cake on, instead of a plateau.

I thought about covering the plateau with batting or something like it to look like snow. But then thought that might look "hokey"....

What can I make to look like a block of ice? It needs to be sturdy, of course, as it will hold the cake.(4 tiers)....I don't sew..and am not crafty...any ideas?? Is there such a thing as fabric out there that will give an "ice" effect???

10 replies
CBsBakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBsBakin Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 11

Why don't yo uuse glass building block... you can get it at Home Depot or some other hardware store. HTH!

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 11

I don't know what would make an "ice" effect, but you could always do some white tulle (a really fine weave) covering a white sheet. And then put white christmas lights under it all. The green cord won't show up if you have a white sheet under the tulle. But the lights really do. I do this a lot and it looks so pretty. The tulle kind of gives a billowy effect - like snow.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 11

I like the tule suggestion but when you are out shopping you may want to keep an eye out for an irridecent fabric. it's the kind of fabric that as the light hit's it it kinda turns different hues .. if you find it in white ..it would be ideal. I just bought a fabric like it for another project in gold. You wouldn't have to sew it ... you could just drape it arround the cake or table

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I like the tule suggestion but when you are out shopping you may want to keep an eye out for an irridecent fabric. it's the kind of fabric that as the light hit's it it kinda turns different hues .. if you find it in white ..it would be ideal.

... I think the fabric she's talking about is called "organza", it is sheer, like the tulle, but it is not a mesh-it's more like regular fabric, very lightweight. There is another shimmery fabric called "lame'' (pronounced lah-may). It has almost a metallic sheen to it, but it is not sheer-not see through, also a very lightweight fabric. I thought it might be easier if you knew what to ask for when you go looking! ( I sew!) thumbs_up.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 11

OMG!! You guys are great!!!

What great ideas.....I feel like an idiot when I go to fabric stores...I have no clue....

And I'll also check out Home Depot..didn't know they made such things as those blocks..... icon_lol.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 11

To add to the other idea, what about looking for those fiber optic lights that slowly change different levels of illumination or move or even change colors.

Also, I had bought one year just around the holiday decorating season some icicle garland for my tree. It was irridescent and pretty. Might add to some of the area. I also found some clear plastic snowflake ornaments at the dollar store. They are very pretty and look great with the lights b/c of all the facets. We do a strange tradition for us of hanging a tree branch parallel to the ceiling and decorate it with the things we don't want to put on our christmas tree. This is where we put the things that really catch the light like teh snowflake ornaments. We always get a lot of compliments on them and I got them from the dollar store!

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 11

IHATEFONDANT.... you feel like an idiot??? I could only give a description of what I was talking about ... what can I tell you .. I'm the black sheep of the family ..everyone in my family sews,bakes,cooks and then there is me... but I'm getting there ...lol

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 11

I've seen things that they call "ice rocks" at Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart. People use them in their fish tanks and in candle holders. They would be pretty scattered around, too. I like the idea of the glass blocks with lights behind them (the ice blocks in a circle under the cake). The lights would shine through the ice blocks. You could even put some sheer white material under the blocks.

pandora3799 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pandora3799 Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 11

At home depot... the ice looking blocks would look great! My parents have an old house with a window literally in the shower (a big 1.) They redid it with the glass blocks; and it does have the look of ice. Very good idea, CB!

Pandora

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 10 Nov 2005 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 11

I'm having a light bulb moment!

Quote:
Quote:

I've seen things that they call "ice rocks" at Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart. People use them in their fish tanks and in candle holders. They would be pretty scattered around, too.

...such a cool idea!! What if you used the Wilton crystal look plates, and instead of a base plate you could get a clear glass bowl with a rim-size just under the size of the plate you want to use, and use it to hold your cake plate instead of pillars. Then, you could fill the bowl with the ice rocks, lights, any other wintery decorations you like. It would be a very original look!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%