Dividing A Cake For Basketweave

Decorating By 2yummy Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 10:16pm by cambo

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 14

What is the best way to evenly divide a 10" cake so I can put basketweave on it? I don't dare do it freehand, I know I will not get it even. TIA!!

13 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 14

For basketweave to turn out nice, you MUST have an even number of vertical lines. I use a toothpick and make tick marks at the base of the cake, usually at 7/8" intervals. Once I go all the way around, and it doesn't work out right, I smooth the last five or six marks and adjust the spacing to fit. (Or however many marks I need to redo to get the correct spacing.) I have done this enough times that it really isn't all that time-consuming.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 14

I start at the back and if it doesn't come out even, it's on the part that no one sees. Another method is to have a cascade of flowers (real, silk, BC, gumpaste, whatever) drape down over that area. Most of mine work out. Must be the luck of the irish!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 14

I think that it's also a lot easier to use a cake diving wheel & make the line all the way down the cake. When decorating, keep the cake @ eye level.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 14

I don't usually mark mine. I just go, depending on the tips I'm using, making it tighter or looser. Like indydebi, if it doesn't quite match up, cover with flowers or something. HTH!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 14

I use the tip that I'm going to be doing the basketweave in (usually #47), and mark the lines with it all the way around the cake. I use my angled spatula and mark the vertical lines when I'm finished.

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 14

The way I was taught in my course 2 class was to take a piece of wax paper and wrap it around the cake. Cut it to fit the cake exactly (don't overlap the paper) then take the paper and fold it in half,then again and again. Repeat until you get the desired size of weave that you are looking for. Then unfold it and wrap around the cake again and mark on the cake(we used a toothpick and just made a dash mark) where the folds are. Comes out even everytime. (I hope that didn't sound complicated, it really is very simple) Good Luck

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 14

If you don't have a dividing wheel you can do it the way we used to do for making templates on Lamneth style cakes. Decide how many sections of basketweave you would like on the cake. Trace the bottom of your cake pan (same size as the cake) onto a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Cut out the circle with scissors, fold the circle first in half and then depending on how many sections you want. If it is an even number like 8 or 16, fold again in half and continue to do that until you have 8 or 16 sections. Unfold, lay it on top of your iced cake and make a tiny toothpick mark at each fold line.

If you want to do odd numbers, fold the circle in half, then into equal thirds, then fold in half again and you will have 12 equally spaced sections.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 14

This is how I was taught by a Wilton instructor over 15 years ago.

Ice the side of cake with a thin coat of frosting. Ice top of cake. Now take the flower former (see link below) press into the sides of the cake to give you a straight line. Start from the back of your cake go around once. Then go around a second time in between the lines you all ready made. Now you have staright lines to go by. Allways worked for me.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=417-9500&killnav=1

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 14

Every cake has a front and a back. The back is where the basketweave starts and ends and doesn't quite match. It's also the side that you don't see in the photographs.

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you all so much, those ideas really helped! The flower former idea is ingenious! I might try that. I am horrible at getting straight lines!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:57pm
post #12 of 14

leana:
outstanding idea!! never would have thought of that! thanks for sharing!! thumbs_up.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 14

mjs4492,

No problem, that is why were are here.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks for the tips of basketweave....I've never done that technique and think I will try using the flower former idea! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%