Need A Recipe For Non'edible Dough To Make Cut Out Cookies.

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 9 Nov 2005 , 6:41pm by freddie

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 7

I am entering the same competition I enter ever year at the Calgary Stampede but this year I am opting to do fancy decorated cookies like wedding cakes,Christmas ornament cookies etc...The dough cannot contain any ingredients that will go rancid as they are placed in a glass covered case for 14 days. Do any of you have a recipe for playdoh or ornamental cookie dough which is the same color as natural sugar cookie dough...kinda pale yellow.I want it to dry hard.I will decorate over top!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

6 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 7

My mother used to make decorations at Christmas Time with Applesauce, Cinnamon and glue. Don't know the exact measurements but you might be able to google it. Not only do they look nice they also smell good for a long time. These are not edible!!!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 7

Here is the recipe for Salt Dough:

It is from Betty Crocker Best Christmas Book:

4 cups of flour
2 cups of salt
1 1/2 cups of water
1 teaspoon of powdered alum (don't know what this is)
Clear sealing spray for crafts, if desired

Mix all ingredients thoroughly with hands. If too dry add another Tbsp of water. You can tint also if you like.

You can roll it out or mold into shapes

Heat oven to 250 degrees. Place decorations on
ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 30 mins. Remove from oven and turn over. Bake for another 1 1/2 hrs or until completely hard and dry.
Cool on wire rack.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 7

Found the recipe I was talking about:

1/2 c. cinnamon
1/3 c. applesauce
1 Tablespoon Elmers Glue

Mix together. You can roll out to and cut cookie shapes or make your own figurine.

Second recipe I found:

3/4 c. applesauce
1 T. Cloves
1 T. Nutmeg
1- 4oz. can cinnamon
2 T. glue

Same instructions.

We made these one year in Girl Scouts and the girls decorated them. I also made them for the kids at church to paint last year and we hung them on a tree in their section of the church.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks Gals!! That's great!!!

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 7

I don't know if its too late but.....

This is the recipe I use for play dough, just omit the food colouring...

You will need:

1/2 cup salt
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup water
food coloring
What to do:

Combine ingredients in a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring all the time. When the dough has a good consistency, take it off the heat and allow to cool.

icon_smile.gif

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 7

Here is an easy cheater Crafting Bread dough that looks like sugar cookies when dry, if you want the color a little beiger or yellower just add a tiny tiny bit of coloring.

I use this recipe to make gingerbread and Christmas cookie gift tags and use dimensional paint to decorate them. For the gingerbread look I painted over with wood stain before letting dry.

Aleenes Basic Bread Dough Cheater

A basic bread dough formula is one slice of bread to one tablespoon of Aleene's Original Tacky Glue.
1. Remove all of the crusts from the number of slices you'll need for your project and tear into small pieces.
2. Put the bread in a plastic bag and pour the appropriate number of tablespoons of glue into the bag (1 piece bread to 1 tablespoon glue).
3. Knead the dough for 10 minutes or intil it becomes smooth and workable. At first it will be sticky, but keep kneading.
4. Due to differences in climate and moisture in the area, you may need to adjust the ratio of bread to glue. If after 10 mintues the mixture is still too sticky, add more small pieces of bread. If it is too dry or stiff add a few more drops of glue.
5. You can color the dough by adding a few drops of food coloring to the dough. Only add color to the amount of dough you'll need in that color.
6. Roll the dough out on a smooth and clean surface as you would with cookie dough. Dust with flour if necessary. Use your fingers or cookies cutters to mold and cut shapes.
7. Small projects will take hours to dry, while larger ones could take days.
8. You can store the dough in a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator for several months.

* to hasten drying you can put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet in the oven at 200 degrees till dry.

** Use Original Tacky Glue to achieve a ceramic finish when creating bread dough modeling projects. (If you desire a porcelain finish, use Aleene's Easy Flow Tacky Glue)

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%