Coloring'cing

Decorating By susanmm23 Updated 18 Mar 2005 , 2:52pm by susanmm23

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 4:11am
post #1 of 5

I know when you color buttercream it deepens as it sits. I need a true red for spiderman. I will not be using buttercream. Will the color get darker no matter which icing i end up using??? Or is this only true for buttercreams???

4 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 6:35am
post #2 of 5

Sorry, I cant delete this double post. So I deleted all words and added this.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 6:36am
post #3 of 5

well Susan this I can answer with my experience. thumbs_up.gif
I mainly use buttercream, but I have also used whipped icing, and store bought icing and colored it, and the color does still darken. icon_razz.gif
For the spiderman cake I did last year I put alot of the Wilton "no taste red" icon_wink.gif let it sit and it did darken, thumbs_up.gif I added more let it sit and it darkened more. thumbs_up.gif So in my experience yes it will darken more and more icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif ..... are you using Americolor or Wilton coloring? like I said above I use Wilton right now, and I will buy some Americolor colors once back in the states.... it supposedly gives you a deeper brighter color vs Wilton.... so try that if you can... I know alot of people on here use Americolor....

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 5

which icing are you using? i've made icing without butter !and it worked great! what are your ingredients?

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 5

I am using the wilton no taste red. If i can find it int he stores i want to use the wilton whipped mix that you add water too. I have a picky family. No one here likes butter cream. Although i find it the easiest to work with. If I cant find the mix for the whipped I will do the stabalized whipped cream icing. I feel like i am limited to my choices because i dont have room in my fridge for the cake once it is frosted. I will start the day before trying to get the right red. That way it will have enough time to get darker. Thank you soooo much for all of your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%