Army Theme Bday For 4 Yr Old

Decorating By missyb Updated 24 Mar 2005 , 8:16pm by libbyhunt

missyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyb Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 13

Help. I promised my son that Mommy would make him any cake he wanted, but dont know where to start. how do you ice a cake in camo? I refuse to buy another supermarket cake. I want this to special, and hopefully look good too. Please any ideas would be great.
Thank you.

12 replies
Kam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kam Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 13

If you want to do camo, you can always do it with fondant. Just put "patches" of different colors in different places, roll it out and cover the cake. Good luck, Kam

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 13

How about BCT. you can make some in different shapes to match the camo design and lay them around the cake. Get some army men and tanks (heck they have them at the dollar store). Make you a pile of dirt/sand of some sort maybe out of crushed graham cracker and set the tanks on top of them.. Hope this helps!!! Good luck!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 13

I have also seen camo done in buttercream. Either way you do it, it still takes some time..

missyb Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 13

thanks to all. i will attempt doing the BCT, now that i know what that is icon_smile.gif, but can you use them on the sides of a cake if they are smallish?

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:01am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyb

thanks to all. i will attempt doing the BCT, now that i know what that is icon_smile.gif, but can you use them on the sides of a cake if they are smallish?

Yes, just make the size of your transfer appropriate for the size cake you are using.. If it has a lot of details, it will become harder to do if the transfer is small.

missyb Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:04am
post #7 of 13

i am going to star very simple. just a bunch a black and green camo shapes on a choc back ground. thank you for the help. i am new to all of this, but am very creative so i hope to catch on quickly......fingers crossed

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 13

be sure and post pictures!! icon_lol.gif being around military people, there's bound to be a yound boy who will ask me for that same idea!!! icon_biggrin.gif

missyb Posted 19 Mar 2005 , 4:42am
post #9 of 13

i will be sure to post pics, even if it turns out horrible. I'll list it under "what not to do" ha ha icon_smile.gif

libbyhunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libbyhunt Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 13

I hope this isn't too late but I posted a picture I did of a soldier holding a flag. I used the Bob the Builder pan and decorated with camo colors. I even put plastic army men in the corners. The stars are all chocolate.

I posted the picture under themed cakes - military

Libby

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 8:32pm
post #11 of 13

Libby, love the soldier cake. Nice Job!

missyb Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 13

Libby, my son saw your cake and now that is the one he wants one just like it! This will be my first attemp at something more challenging than a can of Duncan Hines, so about how hard was this to do, and how long would it take a beginner?

libbyhunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libbyhunt Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 13

It was actually pretty easy since the pan creates the pattern of the soldier for you. In fact, you can use store bought icing if that makes it easier - color white icing for the greens and use chocolate icing for the brown and black. I used the Wilton color Moss Green for the 2 green colors and the Skin Tone icing color (left over from Dora Icing Colors) for the face.

I would think it might take about 2-3 hours for you to do depending on how fast you can make stars. Having multiple star tips so you don't have to keep changing on the camo part was a very big help - you can just make a few stars, pick up a different bag a make a few more to make the random pattern camo.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

PS - I think I found the little flags at Walmart

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%