Do You Think Duff's Cakes Taste Great? Or Just Look Great??

Decorating By shellypf Updated 13 Feb 2007 , 1:08am by flayvurdfun

shellypf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellypf Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:37am
post #1 of 79

Hello all! I love the show....but I am wondering has anyone ever tried the cakes??? Are they from scratch, frozen? Do they taste out of this world or do they just look awesome?? I know they are very expensive....I've just been thinking about this so thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks all!

78 replies
Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:42am
post #2 of 79

Just looks great

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:43am
post #3 of 79

You know, they really aren't that expensive if you compare to them to others like Sylvia Weinstock, Elisa Strauss, Ron Ben-Israel, Toba Garrett, etc. Not that their cakes are to their caliber but still; in comparison to the "pros" they don't quite level up (they start at about $7 per slice, if I recall correctly).

I have read some reviews on their cakes and some say they taste great, and other say they taste stale, dry and disgusting. Go figure. I'll have to try myself. icon_rolleyes.gif

As to whether or not they're frozen, I don't think they are because that would be false advertising, wouldn't it? Their slogan is, "Always Fresh Never Frozen".

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:44am
post #4 of 79

I've always wondered the same! I used to be a big fan of the show in the begining, but then the show became more about his personality than the cakes...it's unfortunate, but apparently this is what the viewers want.

MarieAnna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarieAnna Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:45am
post #5 of 79

Not always what looks pretty taste good..Humm icon_rolleyes.gif

shellypf Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:45am
post #6 of 79

I didn't know about the slogan...ooops! Would love to hear if anyone has actually tried one of their cakes!

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:53am
post #7 of 79

I haven't tried their cakes but I too have always wondered if they actually tasted good. I know they don't freeze the cakes so that is a plus but they never seem to use any fillings other than BC. Atleast not that i have noticed.

BethG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethG Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:54am
post #8 of 79

I don't know if they taste good but I sent them and email about this very subject. Because you never hear them state if they taste good all they ever do is talk about the way they look

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:57am
post #9 of 79

I cant imagine you could command that type of price if the cake did not taste good...word would spread...that would not be good for business even for duff...I know my business would be crushed by a not so tasty cake

shellypf Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:00am
post #10 of 79

That is what I thought...but I have yet to hear anyone say that the cake tastes great. I try to watch for the clips they show when it is being served but haven't seen any 'DELICIOUS' remarks.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:02am
post #11 of 79

...I saw some interviews where the people loved them....they were second time and third time customers...so if they keep coming back, they gotta be good! icon_biggrin.gif

shellypf Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:27am
post #12 of 79

And do you think he doesn't like to cut his own cakes because it is tough to cut the 3D cakes 'nicely'? I always have a tough time seving a nice slice from a 3D cake. Okay just getting these things out of my head with other cake people...thanks!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:29am
post #13 of 79

That's probably why he doesn't like cutting his cakes-

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:45am
post #14 of 79

I was commenting about this to DH tonight...I'm thinking they're not that great. They look amazing, but the focus seems to be on appearance...not taste. IMHO, a fabulous looking cake is great, but you still have to EAT it, so it should taste as good as it looks, or better.

crgsnbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crgsnbrown Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:53am
post #15 of 79

I saw an episode not long ago where they were handing out samples/slices at an event. It was a pumpkin cake and there were many comments about how good the cake tasted.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 8:34am
post #16 of 79

Does anyone really believe that Duff is smart enough to carve out a high dollar niche for himself in the very competitive world of cake decorating but too stupid to find some decent cake recipes? icon_surprised.gif

I don't.

Also consider the fact that he operates a shop full of friends with strong personalities. These are half a dozen or more people in that shop that likely wouldn't hesitate saying "Dude, that tastes like ****" if the cake was that awful.

So I cast my vote for "looks good, tastes good". icon_biggrin.gif

-Kevin

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 12:56pm
post #17 of 79

Good point, Kevin

Maybe it's just so taken for granted that the cakes taste good that they don't need to talk about it...

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 1:06pm
post #18 of 79

I live just outside of Baltimore and one of my co-workers attended an event where one of Duff's cakes was served. She said that it was OMG to die for! She wanted everyone in the office to pitch in and get a Charm City Cake for another co-workers 50th birthday celebration coming up.

Most of the shows just show the delivery of the cake - not the actual eating of the cake so there's not much opportunity to capture people saying how the cake tastes. You have to remember that Duff was in business before this show came along so he must have been surviving on something besides his celebrity - like taste!

Debbie

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 1:59pm
post #19 of 79

I know someone in Baltimore that has ordered 3 cakes from him and she says they taste extremely good as well as look awesome.

She's ordering a 4th this month for her husband's birthday and she is planning her a bah mitzvah all with Duff's cakes.

If he's getting repeat business like that, you know he is good.

Rachel

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 2:02pm
post #20 of 79

We don't get to see the "more normal" cakes being made, I bet those cakes taste very good, he is a chef after all. This tv show wants to show the extreme for the purpose of tv ratings, and we peasants of the world have this oddity (in my opinion,) that as long as something is worn, made by, or whatever by someone famous...it's a must have. Lets face it, how cool we feel when we tell friends, I ordered a cake from Duff or Collette or whoever is famous at the moment. Just like my kids when they were teens, if they didn't have that guess triangle on the seat of their pants, they felt they didn't measure up to what society determined as being with the "in crowd". Sorry, this winter cabin fever is making me grouchy.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 3:45pm
post #21 of 79

they must taste good otherwise he probly wouldn't be in business for long.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:50pm
post #22 of 79

On one of the shows they showed him cutting the cake and how bad he felt about doing that. For them its all about creating the cake . . . not eating the cake. When the cake is cut, they are tearing down their art . . . because most of their cakes are works of art. I believe that their cake must taste good or he wouldn't have any repeat business. Business must be picking up because he talked about two new interns this year.
Leslie

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:56pm
post #23 of 79

Yeah, did you see this last episode where that dude had to make another Jeep cake and he didn't want anyone touching until they praised him for it. They don't want to see it cut into. I think it really hurt his feelings to see his first Jeep cut into. And the dude who bought the cake was rude too so its like they don't deserve the cake if they don't appreciate it. I think we can all relate to that.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:02pm
post #24 of 79

Good, bad or indiferent...Duff is laughing all the way to the bank!

Oh yeah baby!!

Wish my daddy would buy ME a building to work from!

sob!!!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:10pm
post #25 of 79

I'm too busy building my own business, getting better skills, and baking great tasting cakes to worry about Duff's business.
(Though I do love his stuff!)

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:10pm
post #26 of 79

I can't see why it would not be good? Covering a cake in fondant hardly make it taste bad all of a sudden icon_lol.gif

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:19pm
post #27 of 79

i agree with risquebusiness. regardless of our comments on his perceived shortcomings, he's laughing hard all the way to the bank. what would most of us give to be in his shoes? creative, successful and happy....

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:32pm
post #28 of 79

Let's just jump on the negative bandwagon... Gimme a break!! If his cakes didn't taste good people would not be ordering them & paying his prices. DUUUUH!!! I'm sure there's been mention of repeat customers, so that might be the 1st CLUE. And fillings... who uses them in sculpted cakes? The only cakes they show the actual construction of are 3D sculpted cakes. We've only been shown outside decoartion on "regular" cakes, so how do you know what's under the fondant?

You don't like his personality... don't watch, or I guess you could watch it without the sound on. Wish it was all about the cakes? How boring would THAT be?!? Yay, lets just watch baking, mixing icing & hey let's not leave out hand washing for 30 minutes each week. Yeah, I'm gonna stay up late for that.... NOT!!! The show wouldn't even exist without Duff's larger than life PERSONALITY!! The name of the show is Ace of Cakes... not Cake Decorating 101.

Did I mention... I LOVE DUFF!!! Kilt, fireworks, quirky employees & ALL!!!

RisqueBusiness Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:33pm
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius

i agree with risquebusiness. regardless of our comments on his perceived shortcomings, he's laughing hard all the way to the bank. what would most of us give to be in his shoes? creative, successful and happy....

Darn Tootin'! thumbs_up.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:37pm
post #30 of 79

Using filling under sculpted cakes is what makes them slip and slide all over the place! Butter cream is a great alternative to any extra flavor you're looking for.

I don't use any filling in any of mine, except for the round ones and that is just flavored buttercream.

and I charge pretty high prices for being an unknown..( and my prices will for sure be going up! )

if they want fillings and boring cakes they can go someplace else.

PS: it's so fun to watch his show and see how many people he has doing each and every thing..when I do everything here all by myself.

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that I can manage! tee hee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%