Sift Then Measure Or Measure Then Sift?

Baking By cakeatopia Updated 10 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm by KCotten

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 10

I always sift my ps or flour and then measure it all out, but I swear on America's Test Kitchen, they said to measure then sift. I am confused. My way has worked but if I am doing it wrong I want to know! icon_redface.gif

9 replies
rnrcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnrcakes Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 10

Alton Brown measures then sifts, it works for me. If your way is working, then I wouldn't change it.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 10

I know I have read somewhere that it depends on what the recipe states. If it says 1 cup sifted flour, you sift then measure. If it says 1 cup flour, sifted, you measure then sift. Does that make sense?

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton78

I know I have read somewhere that it depends on what the recipe states. If it says 1 cup sifted flour, you sift then measure. If it says 1 cup flour, sifted, you measure then sift. Does that make sense?

Ditto that.

Odessa

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 10

If you use scales to measure your ingredients it doesnt matter when you sift it. icon_biggrin.gif
Cheers
Nati

cakeatopia Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 10

I was just sifting ALL the time since I thought--see that's when I get into trouble--lol things settled!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 10

If you get your recipes from cookbooks, the cookbooks will always explain how they measure.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 10

I always wondered the same thing. . .do they mean a cup sifted or a sifted cup? Thanks for the responses. thumbs_up.gif

cakeatopia Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 10

The recipes I am talking about specifically are from this site--the mmf and the nfsc.

KCotten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCotten Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 10

I have learned the hard way that it is better to measure then sift (I actually wisk...tossed out the sifter years ago!). The downfall to sifting/wisking before you make NFSC will surely be a wide spread cookie!!!! The benefit of doing it afterward is that you have a smooth texture mix.
Hope this helps!

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%