How Do Make A Football Shaped Cake? And Color For Basketball

Decorating By montanakate Updated 2 Nov 2005 , 8:23pm by montanakate

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 7

I have a ckae coming up this weekend that will have a soccer ball, baseball, football and basket ball on it. I was thinking of getting the mini ball pan to make these but I was wondering if any of you had suggestions on how to shape the football?

My next question is what color are you using to color a basketball? My orange next comes out that instense so I was wondering if another color was being added to the frosting?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the help,
Kate

6 replies
ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 7

I tend to add either copper/brown or burgundy to my orange for basketballs. It gives it that leather color.

mamastacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamastacy Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 7

hi i just made a football cake for my son ,i used an ovel shape pan . the picture is in the birthday gallerie. it would work great with the mini ball pan. its was the smallest pan in the ovel wedding pan set. i hope this helps . stacy[/i]

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 7

Do you have the mini or petite egg pan? You could use that for the football. Maybe if not, you can make a cupcake or use the mini ball and just carve it.

For the basketball color, my sports ball pan instructions say to use terra cotta. Or maybe you can mix some brown and orange and that might give you the color you want. I made one awhile back (sorry, no pic) and I think that was what I did.

Good luck and have fun!

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 7

I have a pic of a basketball cake on this site - I made with the sports ball pan (it was my first time usuing it so it was just a practice run cake I gave to a buddy).

I just kept adding orange until it looked basketball-ish color. a little red in there too - gets that darker orange color.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7

I found this chart, it might help you get the color you want. If the image is too small to read, I can email it to you.

Hope that helps!
LL

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I think I will just try to shape it with the mini ball pan because I don't have the egg pan. I do have a small oval that I got in my course II kit but I think it would be too big in relation to the other ones. Thanks again.
Kate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%