Anyone Ever Do A "jump Out Of The Cake" Cake?

Decorating By PerryStCakes Updated 16 Jan 2013 , 2:40am by tihemo

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 16

I recently had a client ask me if I could have her "jump" out of a cake as an anniversary surprise for her husband.

Immediately I am thinking - hardware store, wood, building contraptions, castors....

I told her I had never attempted this before but to let me think about it. (We have some time).

Has anyone ever done this? How on earth.......?

And - what would I charge?

The worst part - if I can't do it - someone else here in NYC can and will. Ugh.

Please advise!

XOXO
-Perry St Cakes

15 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 16

The first thing that came to my mind would be waste!! alot of waste, but if she wants it here is my theory.. Out of cardboard assemble the box.. in layers like a cake. and just ice the heck out of it.. That way you wont have weight from actuall cake so that you can lift the box to set over her..When she jumps out all you have wasted is icing.. not the actuall cake.. just a thought!

PerryStCakes Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 16

ooooh - that's an idea.............

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 16

you can also do it out of royal icing or that icing that sets hard and good for display cakes.

That's what I would do...so I would have it for future uses.

Or better yet...if you can make a series of collapsable pvc pipe hoops.."paint' the cake..this is sort of like a costume and put 2 thick straps for over the shoulders...and she can wear the "cake"...

Have her wear a "CAKE TOPPER HAT"..lol and squat down sort of.

when she stands...she "POPS OUT OF THE CAKE"??

sort of like this....?

http://nawtythings.com/halloween/costume_funny6.html

PerryStCakes Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 16

That's a cute site!

Good idea with the royal icing too! I am ashamed to ask this, but what is PVC pipe?

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryStCakes

That's a cute site!

Good idea with the royal icing too! I am ashamed to ask this, but what is PVC pipe?

that's the lightweight white plastic tubing that you can find in any home improvement shop.

It comes in all diameters. You can also use them for rolling pins!

PerryStCakes Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 16

thanks!!

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 16

And if you do it, don't forget the pickies!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 16

Ohhhh...you might could get some ideas from someones halloween costume that posted here a day or 2 ago..but I cant remember who it was!!!!... icon_cry.gif

ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 16

YES!!! pic's I gotta see this! Love the idea!!!!!
good luck,
michelle

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 16

Also are they going to want REAL cake that they can eat afterwards? If so I would do the cardboard box thing and then the top tier be something removeable ( another box) but sturdy enough that you could sit a small real cake on top and have someone at the last moment set the real cake aside b4 she pops out..lol

frogfiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogfiend Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 16

i posted a cake costume the other day. you can do it that way it was made out of foam board and paper. just make it bigger to allow her to be completely inside. mine was on my shoulders sitting on a decorated table. pm me if you need any advice. good luck

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 12:59am
post #13 of 16

I would use styrofoam. I think you may be able to get large sheets (4' x 8' x 1") from a home improvement store, and you would be able to use hot glue to put it together. It won't sag under the icing like cardboard might and it would be very lightweight and not prone to bending. As an option so the top layer doesn't have to be huge around, you can make the top 2 layers removable so when she pops out, she can push them off ahead of her.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 9:43am
post #14 of 16

What is she looking for? Does she want an edible cake or just the look of one? If she wants just the look, I agree with PastryDiva with using royal icing. Then there isn't a huge mess but a great looking cake. You could make cake to actually eat in replica of her cake.

vitade

PerryStCakes Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:06pm
post #15 of 16

those are good ideas -- if she wants to jump out of real cake, I am in trouble, obviously. But i think we can do a fake cake and have some sheet cake in the back....

Luckily, this wont be until late december - but i will definately post pictures!

I don't think real cake is even a possibility....right?

tihemo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tihemo Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 2:40am
post #16 of 16

I made one for my birthday! It was surprisingly easy and costed me around $100. I actually blogged about it, too: 

http://omincorporated.blogspot.com/2013/01/10-steps-how-to-make-pop-out-stripper.html

And was able to do it in 10 steps. Just make sure you have two days set aside for the project! If you have any questions, just shoot me a msg and I'll be happy to help you further. But, I think the tutorial covers everything. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%