French Or Italian Buttercream Question

Baking By mohara Updated 2 Nov 2005 , 7:01pm by mohara

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 4

Hi.

We have an awesome gourmet bakery by me and their icing is to die for. Definitely not your typical buttercream. When I asked them what type it was they said it was French Buttercream. Then I started looking online for similar recipes and found some french BC's use eggs and some don't. So I asked the bakery if they use eggs in their frosting, and they said "egg whites."

Now its my understanding that egg whites would be used in an Italian Meringue buttercream, not a french buttercream. Could they just be calling it something different??? It has such an awesome taste, kinda mousse-like. Its just so good. I thought I should try an Italian buttercream because that is more what it sounds like, doesn't it.

What do you all think?

3 replies
bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 4

mousse like texture sounds like imbc. my family likes egg-yolk based frosting and it is heavier.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 1:43am
post #3 of 4

French merengue buttercream is made by mixing sugar and yolkes on top of the double boiler until reached to a certain temp

Where italian merengue buttercream either made with yokes or whites is made by boiling sugar and water to a a certain temp and slowly poured in the whipped whites or yokes

Hopes this helps you

AShiana

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 4

The icing is definitely heavier than basic meringue. It isn't a "whipped" light airy taste at all, it has a texture all of its own. I think I'll try the Italian Meringue one to see if its similar.

Thanks for your feedback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%