Beginner Here Looking For Hints To Make A Character Cake

Decorating By mickeymouse85 Updated 18 Mar 2005 , 1:53pm by diane

mickeymouse85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickeymouse85 Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all. I just found this site and it looks fantastic. I am in the process of learning cake decorating. I am currently taking Course II in Wilton. Anyway, someone talked me into making them a Bob the Builder cake for an upcoming birthday party. It looks pretty overwhelming to me. lol Does anyone have any wonderful hints, tips, etc., that may make this a little easier for me? It really doesn't look hard....just very time consuming. I don't know what I got myself into icon_redface.gif Thanks in advance!!!

10 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 11

Hello and welcome to the board! The only advice I would say it to read all the instructions over first. Get every little thing you can ready before you start to decorate...all your tips, colors, bags etc. Take your time..if you make a mistake, you can always take the icing off and try it again! You'll do just fine! And remember....enjoy it...that's what it's all about! thumbs_up.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 11

If you have to do alot of stars, I recommend buying the wilton triple star. It makes three stars at once.
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DE2F-475A-BAC0-58342337945664F3

mickeymouse85 Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 11

Hi Missey. Thanks for the words of encouragement and for the advice!! I'm sure it will go fine once I get started...just a little overwhelming right now. I have to make this over Easter weekend, so I'll let everyone know how my first stab at it goes!! Thanks again!!!

mickeymouse85 Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 11

Hi m0use. Actually I just bought that tip because I figured that would make it go faster. It looks like 98% of it is using the stars. Thanks alot for your response, I appreciate it.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 11:17am
post #6 of 11

All I can say, is make sure you ice the sides first then outline the cake. My first one I didnt frost the sides first (duh) and the frosting hit some of my stars. I also thought "oh I dont need to waste time outlining I can see the lines just fine..... though the cake turned out ok, it looked better when I did the same cake again for another friend and outlined it!!!!!
overwhelming??? I thought so when I first looked at it, but its really not when you get started.... just keep putting your bag of icing in the fridge when it softens so that your stars are solid and the right height!
you can do it!!!! thumbs_up.gif

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 11:42am
post #7 of 11

I make all my icing colors days inadvance prep bags and tipsand prep board to me that is always the work part bake the cake the night before next day is star play day! yeah! have fun relax your wrist between colors.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 11

sounds like me blessbeckys.....I will make all 20 of my individual egg cakes for the class on Thursday morning, decorate thursday night and Friday morning, have them ready for Friday by 1....

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:21pm
post #9 of 11

you know, even if you forget to ice the sides, you can use the basketweave tip and make straight lines. if you use the ridged side it adds a great look to it!

mickeymouse85 Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 11

Hello all. Thanks so much for all of the hints. I'll be making the cake next weekend, and I'll definitely be using all the wonderful tips you have given me. I'm nervous, but feeling less so after all of the replies. Thanks again I appreciate all the help!!! thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 11

no problem! that's what we're here for!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%