Scroll Work On Cake...how Do I?

Decorating By kmarsh Updated 1 Nov 2005 , 11:09am by stephanie214

kmarsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmarsh Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 12:20am
post #1 of 6

I'm attempting scroll work on the side of a b-day cake tomorrow. I've NEVER done it before. It's just never come up. Can you brilliant cake guys and gals help guide me and give me some pointers? How do you get it to attatch to the cake well (especially when doing it on the side of a round cake)? Do you have a pattern or is kind of free hand?
Thanks in advance for your guidance!

5 replies
edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 12:25am
post #2 of 6

I've always done freehand, but there are pattern presses available if a guideline would make you more comfortable. I suggest looking at a pic of some scrollwork you like, try and copy it as best you can, as you go you'll get the feel for it and won't have to look at the pic anymore (be sure to practice on a board first.) That's how I started.

I've never had a problem getting it to stick to the surface, just make sure your icing isn't too thick.

Good luck!

kmarsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmarsh Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 12:35am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much! Your pictures were great...I love your scroll work. I'll see what I can figure out. Hopefully my first try won't turn out too bad. icon_rolleyes.gif I'll post pictures when I finish. Thanks again!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 12:46am
post #4 of 6

I do the same as edencakes, freehand/copy a pattern. I used to use the scroll presses--they work pretty good, but now that I've been at it for som long--it's easier to do it freehand. You'll get the hang of it!!!

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 3:25am
post #5 of 6

yep! I do what edencakes says to do, that's the best way, good luck!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 11:09am
post #6 of 6

I use pattern press set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%