Making Baby Booties

Decorating By Snickers Updated 1 Nov 2005 , 6:16pm by Snickers

Snickers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snickers Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 10

I've been admiring the cakes with baby booties on them and would like to try one. Is there a pattern out there that you use, or do you just freehand them?
Thanks in advance for any help.

9 replies
talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 10
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 10
tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 10

I have done both, pattern and freehand. I my pics you'll see a 'soft' looking bootie, this was done freehand from a piece of fondant about 3" long and 1.5" in diameter. I bent it about 3/4 of the way up the length of it so it looked like a bent sausage. Then round out and shape the toe portion. Once that is done then push your finger into the ankle portion, sort of like making a bowl out of clay and work the fondant up and out so it thins down. Keep your other hand sort of cupped around the ankle so you keep the bend and narrowness of it. Use scrapbook scissors or some sort of fluted cutting edge to finish the top and tie a ribbon around it. Should look like a bootie.

The other way is indeed with a pattern and you can buy the cutters for it (not sure where) or print it, cut it out and use that. I found them to be a little fussier than the freeform version however it's a different more sturctured look. you can find a great tutorial at http://community.webshots.com/album/283308759UqOctN

and you can even print the pattern from here.

I hope this helps. Oh yeah, I have found that EVERY mom-to-be that got either of these booties made a point of saving them so you can expect that for yours as well.

Good luck and have fun!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 10

See, great minds really do think alike!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 10

..I'll say!! I think we were all typing at the same time!!

Snickers Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all so much!! This truly is a giving and sharing community. I appreciate all your help and encouragement. I'm on this site all the time, but as I'm so new to decorating, never feel I have much to give in return.
Hugs to you all!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 11:46am
post #9 of 10

Just wanted to welcome you to CC.

Snickers Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Stephanie!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%