Pricing Cupcakes For Weddings

Decorating By treatsonthego Updated 2 Jun 2007 , 8:14am by redpanda

treatsonthego Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treatsonthego Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 13

Hi I hope someone can help. What are the general pricing low to high for quoting someone who wants a cupcake wedding? And what are the protocal... what is the baker responsible for doing (Ie throwing in a cake to "cut" or???) I need help please!!

12 replies
karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 13

I charge between $1 to $1.50 per cupcake, depending on the decoration needed. If they want a cake to cut also, I charge $20 for a similarly decorated 8" cake.

$1.00-simple swirled icing on top
$1.25-iced, with a chocolate shell (or whatever) on top
$1.50-iced, with a small simple fondant bow or flower.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 13

I charge the same as for my per slice price my area is 2.50 a cupcake is a serving icon_smile.gif

TracyRu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyRu Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 13

I saw in a magazine a simple cupcake tree for a wedding/shower; violet fondant covered cup cakes with small white fondant dogwood blossoms. The bakery listed was charging $4.50 a cupcake (which were regular sized, they fit in the Wilton Cupcake Tree). I decided to tear the page out and use it for my store demonstration this week at Michaels.

For the same cupcake, I would probably charge $2. each. The violet fondant was cut out using a scalloped edge circle cookie cutter. Very elegant

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 13

You know, I never thought of a cupcake as being a serving (duh, Karen!).
I'm thinking I might raise the price a little. Though most have no filling, so I'll charge less than a serving.

Food for thought! thumbs_up.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 13

I charge anywhere from $1.25 to $2.50 per cupcake depending on what is involved. I had a wedding for 500 with cupcakes, and it was actually more work than a cake would have been.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 13

It depends on the what they want...will it be just buttercream? filling and bc? maybe fondant with a fondant flower or bow? You must charge for all the extras....

The price depends on your area....but as a rule of thumb...I would charge the same as a serving of cake.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 13

I think cc are much more time consuming than a 3 tier wedding cake.. i've done a few cc trees and it can be grulling if you have to serve 100 people... i charge .25 more per serving.. especially if you fill them.. think about all that baking..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:45am
post #9 of 13

I thought I read in another post that the amount of a cake in a cupcake is about twice that of a regular wedding cake slice. (True? False?). If true, then logically, a cupcake wedding cake should be twice as much "per cupcake" as a wedding cake "per slice".?

I think this is another one of those things that magazines and websites are telling brides "Order cupcakes because they're cheaper" when the author of the article has no idea what's involved.

Cupcakes for 100 are a lot more work than wedding cake for 100. I had one bride ask about it and when I told her it would not be cheaper for her, she moved back to regular wedding cake designs. If I ever get a serious inquiry for a cupcake wedding cake, I'll most likely refer them to a local bakery.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:55am
post #10 of 13

Ok, my head is spinning. i've never done a wedding. cc or cake. But I have had an inquiry, and quoted over the phone, using my regular prices. $15/dozen. And she wants 400. I suppose I shot myself in my own foot. Because I just quoted her the price. I didn't put any thought into it, other than, "Oh my gosh! My first wedding!!!!" But now I think I'm learning sooo much more. This friday I'm making samples for her and her fiance to try. I guess it is live and learn! Right?!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:57am
post #11 of 13

Cupcakes are a hot item right now.
And, yes, the guests actually get a lot more cake per serving.
I've just priced 4 bakeries in my area for cupcakes, and they were all charging $3-4 per cupcake, and that wasn't for wedding cupcakes.

sweething1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweething1 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:34am
post #12 of 13

i'm new to decoration cakes/cup cakes - i will be making some cupcakes for a party, and someone mentioned the use of foil cupcake liner do not need to be placed (baked) in a cupcake baking pan? has anyone heard/done this before? what was the result? did it work? thanks.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 8:14am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I thought I read in another post that the amount of a cake in a cupcake is about twice that of a regular wedding cake slice. (True? False?). If true, then logically, a cupcake wedding cake should be twice as much "per cupcake" as a wedding cake "per slice".?

I don't think that is the case, but I don't know for certain. For one thing, cupcakes are usually a lot shorter (2" height vs. 4" height, I think.)

It would be pretty easy to figure out whether that statement was correct. I get two 8X2" round layers from a single doctored (but not the full extender) cake mix. That same mix makes about 24 cupcakes.

According to Wilton, a two layer 8" round with 2" layers makes 24 servings.

According to Earlene's, this cake would be 15 servings. (at least, I think that is what the chart said)

Regardless, unless wedding cupcakes are twice the typical size that I make, they definitely aren't twice the amount of cake in a typical wedding cake slice. I'm not sure about the icing--you use more on top of the cupcake, but none on the sides.

I agree that the time it would take to make 100 cupcakes would be higher than to make a 100 serving cake, but not because of the amount of cake per serving, but more because of the "stops and starts".

JMHO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%