Help Bat Cookies

Baking By smileyface Updated 2 Nov 2005 , 4:22pm by smileyface

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 15

What can I do to dress these up? Hubby says they look fine but I want to outline them or at least add a little bit more color to them. I keep scraping off the red and putting it back on but I don't like anything I do. I thought about just writing BOO on them but since they are supposed to be "fall festival" not HALLOWEEN cookies, the staff at the preschool might not like boo on them.

HELP!!
LL

14 replies
ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 15

what about black sugar?? I think they look good!
Michelle

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 15

How about just outlining them with white icing? I think that would make them stand out more...They are really cute cookies, you did a great job of decorating them.

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 15

I'd outline them in red and put black sugar on.

smileyface Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 15

You mean just outline the entire cookie? I hadn't thought about that. I was so focused on trying to make those darn wings outlined. I think I got a weird shaped bat. I don't see any other cookies and the internet shaped like mine. I made these and outlined them yesterday so the black is really hard. How would I get the sugar to stick?? It is royal icing.

THANKS Guys!!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 15

I would outline the whole cookie....I'm not sure about what to do for the sugar....

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 15

Take a brush and lightly brush it with some water or vanilla extract(or whatever flavor you want) or even more black icing(same icing you used for the cookies) thined out really thin(almost to water, or to a constistancy where you can brush on a very thin even layer). That should make it so the sugar sticks.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 10:22am
post #8 of 15

My daughter said she thinks "They look just fine like that".

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitade

My daughter said she thinks "They look just fine like that".

I agree with your daughter!! thumbs_up.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 15

I like them just as they are too...I'd probably just put eyes and nothing else.

smileyface Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks for all the input. After several more attempts on my two poor, LOL, practice bats, I decided to leave them just as they were. I guess sometimes simple is best. I tend to complicate things, LOL!! The kids and my son's teacher loved them. She even asked if she could keep the leftovers to pass out and see if she could drum up some business for me icon_eek.gif so I of course said SURE!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 6:03am
post #12 of 15

Well, I think your bat cookies are just wonderful the way they are! Good for you, this old bat sees cookie orders in your future.
Hugs Squirrelly

smileyface Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 1:12pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks Squirrelly! I hope you are right icon_biggrin.gif . Cookies are fun to decorate and I don't seem to get nearly as nervous about them as my cakes. I need to work on second guessing myself all the time, I never think things are good enough or I feel I can do better.

Oh, and quit picking on yourself, you certainly are not an old bat in my opinion, remember "play nice" icon_confused.gif I love reading your posts, even the long one, LOL.

Take care!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyface

Thanks Squirrelly! I hope you are right icon_biggrin.gif . Cookies are fun to decorate and I don't seem to get nearly as nervous about them as my cakes. I need to work on second guessing myself all the time, I never think things are good enough or I feel I can do better.

Oh, and quit picking on yourself, you certainly are not an old bat in my opinion, remember "play nice" icon_confused.gif I love reading your posts, even the long one, LOL.

Take care!

Haha, I will go down in history in the Guiness Book of Records, as having the longest posts in cake site history, haha!
Personally I always find that the decorators that see faults and are always critical of their own work, are always the best decorators. I think it is true in any art form, if you saw perfection, you wouldn't try harder. Seems to have something to do with being a perfectionist, that brings out the best!
Hugs Squirrelly

smileyface Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 15

You might have hit the nail on the head, LOL!! It drives me nuts, I can spend hours trying to get things exactly like I picture them (never happends!!) if I don't just quit and box up my cakes and put them out of site until delivery. If I leave them where I can see them even in a box, I peek to see what else needs attention. My brain just won't stop thinking about them. My hubby always says I am too anal (think that's spelled right) or obsessed about my baking. I like the term perfectionist better, LOL! Seems to be a lot of us here on CC struggling with out inner selves, LOL!!! Oh well, maybe one day we will realize nothing is ever truly perfect. Sometimes I don't even take pictures because I don't like how the cake turns out but others say I am silly not to take pics of all of them.

Don't worry about your posts, even the long ones, LOL, I am sure I am not the only one who enjoys reading them and get lots of info out of them. They certainly are very informative and not at all jibberish, IMHO!!

Take care!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%