I Did It!!!!

Decorating By goodcakefairy Updated 30 Oct 2005 , 9:19pm by traci

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 21

My official wedding cake since I took my wilton classes!! Five tiers. 272 servings. Every tier a different flavor cake. Chocolate initials for a topper. I was up for 18 hours straight yesterday, but I think it turned out really well. I'm so proud.

Transport was easy (with the help of two other people) and set up was fine. I even used the first initials I grabbed, though I made about five sets for breakage. People were very complimentary as they saw me setting it up, but I still felt vaguely nauseous all night because I could just imagine hearing this crash and turning around to see a giant pile of cake.

Everything went great until kids started invading the reception area and darting toward the cake table. icon_eek.gif They tried to POKE THEIR FINGERS into the layers and kept asking obnoxious questions. One of the layers looked like it was tilting, but it was completely stable. It just looked funny from one side (I still have skills to develope) and the boy starts running around the reception hall shrieking "It's the leaning tower of cake! It's the leaning tower of cake!" And their parents just sort of said, "No, XXXX, don't." in a lame tone of voice. I had to leave the hall because I thought I was going to have a stroke.

I did learn a lesson though. If you're going to have multiple flavors of cake, take all of the layers back in the kitchen. Slice them all at once and offer all of the flavors at the same time, not as the cake is being dismantled. People grabbed the first slice they saw and were disappointed when they realized a flavor they liked better came up later. I kept waiting for gagging sounds or shouts of "There's a eggshell in my cake!" But the guests had really nice things to say about the flavor, moisture, etc.

The night was actually trouble free until I had to brake hard coming home from the reception (stupid people who don't use turn signals!!!!) and the top tier of the cake went flying into the floor. It was smooshed beyond repair. I felt AWFUL. I'm going to bake another one, decorate it and wrap it up for freezing.

I'm sorry to ramble or if it sounds like I'm bragging. But I needed to sort of wind down, and you guys are the only ones who would care about this stuff. I don't know any other cake decorators.

I'm going to try to attach a picture. wish me luck!!

20 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 21

Congratulations on your 1st wedding Cake. Can't wait to see The pics of it.

Princess

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 21

Remember your pictures, when attaching to a post, cannot be any larger than 800 x 800 pixels ... if you need help with it, please pm me and I'll be happy to help you out icon_smile.gif

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 21

Wow great job - I am anxious to see pictures of your masterpiece!! icon_smile.gif

ntertayneme Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 21

Here are the pics of goodcakefairy's cakes; I'm posting them for her ... Aren't they beautiful!!! You did a wonderful job!!
LL
LL

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 21

You did a terrific job! Your cakes look great...you should be very proud of yourself!!

ntertayneme Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 21

They are beautiful... be very proud of yourself!!

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 21

Awesome job - it's beautiful! thumbs_up.gif

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 21

Wow, you did a awesome job on your wedding cake. After 18 hours of work ..... you should be proud. Keep up the great work.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 21

Absolutely gorgeous! Nuff said!

Debbi

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 21

Great teacher...Better student..lol...

Your first wedding cake is amazing, may this be the start of many more!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 4:31pm
post #12 of 21

Great teacher...Better student..lol...

Your first wedding cake is amazing, may this be the start of many more!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 21

Your cake is beautiful. You had nothing to be nervous about...Can't wait to see your next cake...

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 21

thumbs_up.gif

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 5:57pm
post #15 of 21

Great job! Looks fanastic! Be proud of yourself!

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 21

Congratulations! That was a huge cake and a lot of planning and work for a first wedding! It's a beauty! You did a great job.

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 21

Congratulations. Your cake turned out beautiful icon_biggrin.gif

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 7:59pm
post #18 of 21

you did a teriffic job. thumbs_up.gif

saas74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saas74 Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 9:14pm
post #19 of 21

The cake is beautiful.