Mmf-It Seemed Fine And Then Cracks When I Put It On Cake!

Decorating By jdelectables Updated 31 Oct 2005 , 12:33pm by Cake_Geek

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 2:01am
post #1 of 3

Hi, All!

I need help! I covered my first cake with mmf that I made 2 nights ago. It was soooo easy to make and I was thrilled with myself that I made my own fondant! Then, this morning, after some kneading for color, I rolled it out, placed it on my cake and there were some cracks at the top edges of the cake. Not cracks all the way through to the buttercream but cracks nonetheless! What did I do wrong?
Also, what do you add to mmf to make it more pliable if it seems somewhat dry?
I would appreciate any and all help!!!
Thanks!

2 replies
finally928 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finally928 Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 2:20am
post #2 of 3

Hey ...

This happened to me last week on my course cake. I know why it happened to me -- this might not be the case for you, but maybe it will help.

I was rolling out the MMF and realized that i didn't take enough from the batch, so i grabbed another bunch of the MMF and re-kneaded it into the bunch I had already been working on. The two bunches really didn't mix well ... I think that it was because of one of two things (or maybe both). First is that i didn't have any shortening on hand to mix in to help it all adhere to itself. Second was that it was getting cold after having been out for so long adn therefore a little stiff.

When I got home, i was working on the accents for the cake and it was stiff again. I put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and re-warmed it. Worked like a charm.

Maybe this will help you in the future -- add a bit more shortening, or re-warm it. This would make it more pliable ..

I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope this helps ..
Jay

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 3

I'd have to venture a guess that it was too try. Before working with it, I always grease my hands up well so that the fondant has plenty to "absorb" and it keeps it soft to work with. Zapping it a few seconds in the micro always helps as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%