Making A Cake In Pyrex????

Decorating By tara842 Updated 30 Oct 2005 , 2:16pm by peanut2

tara842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara842 Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 12

Hello! I am making a cake for my daughter today and can't find my sportsball pan. I'm making a ladybug so I only need a half circle and I've heard that you can bake a cake in a pyrex bowl. I'm not really sure how to do this. Is it just like cooking it in a pan? Thanks!

11 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 12

I've never done this either, but I know for sure, you'll have to lower your oven temperature some because of the glass pan ... I would think that you could turn it out onto a cooling rack after about 15 minutes or so like you would a normal cake in a cake pan ... I'm not sure though .. maybe some others that have done this can give some advice too icon_smile.gif

tracyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyscakes Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 12

I have done this. I notice it takes longer to cook, I check and check it as it cooks I guess because it the height! fill 3/4 full and be prepared to level the top but yes I make these all the time

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 12

Baking in Pyrex is FINE! Drop your temp by 25 degrees and bake as usual... just make sure you use both shortening & flour (or whatever fat you usually use to coat your pans)

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 12

You can certainly bake in Pyrex as the others said....because glass doesn't reflect the heat, if you don't lower the cooking temp, the cake will burn. Because it has some height to it,try adding a heating core to bake it within more evenly. You can use a metal flower nail placed upside down in the middle of the bowl...That should do the trick!

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 12

you can also use the pampered chef glass measuring bowls - I have used them and they work good!

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 12:47am
post #7 of 12

My past history with pyrex is that when I put it in the preheated oven, it breaks. Do you all preheat your oven or put pyrex in cold oven? Is there some other tip to prevent breakage? Thanks

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 12:56am
post #8 of 12

I use my pyrex to bake all the time (not just cakes either) and I've never had a problem with breakage. I don't know what tips to give you, other than that I wouldn't take something straight from the fridge to the oven. Other than that, don't know what to tell you!! Good luck.

usaribbon.gif Samantha

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 1:44am
post #9 of 12

I've never had Pyrex break on me either and I bake in it a lot. Was what you were baking really cold?

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 4:17am
post #10 of 12

Actually, it was years ago, but I don't think it was necessarily cold. I just quit using pyrex after that. Maybe its made better now, or maybe it was just a fluke.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 12

Was it an older bowl? I had one that my mom gave me and it was quite USED I barely tapped it against another and it cracked.

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 12

I've never had a problem baking with pyrex. But maybe your bowl had a crack or a chip in it..that could cause the bowl to break in the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%