Almond Flavor

Decorating By ddog Updated 31 Oct 2005 , 4:42pm by bubblezmom

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 4:20am
post #1 of 20

I was wondering, and I really do not want to offend anyone by this, but does anyone find almond flavoring to taste like medicine? Or, maybe its not medicine, I don't know, its just that anytime I use it in anything it is like all I taste and I do not like the taste of it.
Is this crazy? Does everyone else like it? I am wandering if I should add it to the icing when I make cakes for events, or for other people. I would hate for others to miss out on a great taste just because I don't like it. So my question is - Do you use it in your icing and do you like it?

19 replies
cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 4:24am
post #2 of 20

That is so funny because I just made icing tonight and added it by mistake! I was reaching for vanilla and grabbed almond - I guess I was too tired. But I do like the taste and I did all halloween cookies with almond too and got raves. Though I do think a little goes along way!

Sarah

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 4:25am
post #3 of 20

I love almond icing and I get a lot of compliments when I make it, especially with chocolate cake! I don't really think it tastes very much like almond sometimes but its good!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 4:25am
post #4 of 20

ddog....I use it all the time. People around here seem to associate almond flavored buttercream with GOOD cakes worthy of purchasing! LOL I personally like it...don't think it tastes like medicine at all. I actually mix part almond extract and part butter flavoring in my buttercream.

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 4:28am
post #5 of 20

There is two kinds of almond flavoring imitation and pure almond extract. Almond extract is made from the oil and it tastes bitter by itself but added to anything with sugar, butter and chocolate and it adds a wonderful flavor. I mix it with vanilla sometimes. You can also try Amaretto liquor which has an almond taste and it not made from almonds but peach pits!

ddog Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 4:35am
post #6 of 20

hmmmm- i think i will have to give this almond thing another try! Maybe I am using too much perhaps I should actually measure instead of just adding "A bit".
I get that from my mom. She can never tell you how much of anything to add it is just "a bit" or "a dab"!

Phoov Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 4:57am
post #7 of 20

dd!!!!! I don't measure....I sometimes use three teaspoons when the recipe calls for ONE! LOL It's never tasted too strong. What brand AE are you using? I use Wilton. I'm sure there are other good brands...just know that Wilton's tastes good to me and mine. My Wilton instructor personally mixes and matches almond and vanilla extracts and butter flavoring in several combinations. I agree with kalikw about oil vs imitation. I never use imitations flavorings.

AND I THINK I LIKE YOUR MOM!!!!!!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 5:04am
post #8 of 20

I don't really like the smell/taste either. My mother never had actual vanilla in the house when I was little, so when I used to bake on my own growing up...I added almond extract to everything instead. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Brownies, cakes, cookies, you name it...so now the smell turns me off a bit.

I solved the problem by using Amaretto liquor instead. I like it a bit better!

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 5:11am
post #9 of 20

I love the way it tastes and smells. Its always reminded me of cherrys. People seem to like my white cakes when I put in a tsp of almond and a sprinkle of butter extract. They never know exactly what it is they just know its different and goood.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 6:16am
post #10 of 20

I mix and match, personally. I will use almond and butter or almond and vanilla. I have never had a complaint. Oh, I have used the Amaretto with great results also!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 7:13am
post #11 of 20

yes ..........famousamous I agree one day i smelled the cherries and the almond extract together and i think they smell similar....I love my buttercream with it ........

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 20

I use Almond Extract all the time in my cakes and icing, but I do use the artifical extract because I worry about others having nut allergies. icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 20

I use it in my buttercream icing...I think the aroma of almond extract just adds a little something.

golfgma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgma Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 20

I alternate between the butter and almond depending on what I have on hand. I sometimes use 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 almond or 1/2 butter. But, I love almond icing as well and I get a lot of compliments when I use it.

s_raines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_raines Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 2:06pm
post #15 of 20

I personally don't like it. I tried it one day and I must have a weak stomach because it about made me sick. I threw the whole batch of buttercream out (it was for a practice cake). I don't know what it is, but I just can't stand it. I love cherries but not almond extract icon_sad.gif !

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 3:43pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingmoments

i smelled the cherries and the almond extract together and i think they smell similar

Jergen's lotion. icon_biggrin.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 1:29am
post #17 of 20

Ha! I agree DiH!

ddog Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:56am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_raines

I personally don't like it. I tried it one day and I must have a weak stomach because it about made me sick. I threw the whole batch of buttercream out (it was for a practice cake). I don't know what it is, but I just can't stand it. I love cherries but not almond extract icon_sad.gif !

wow its a good thing you replyed or I would of felt all alone! icon_cry.gif

Phoov Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 4:32pm
post #19 of 20

Jergens...LOLOLOLOLOL I have thought the same thing many times!!!!!!!!!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 4:42pm
post #20 of 20

I'd try using less of the almond extract and see if you like it. A 1/2tsp of almond really helps cut the sweetness of pwd sugar buttercream. A tsp of almond in white cakemix improves the flavor. With the extracts, less is more.

Am I the only one who thinks the fake butter extract smells awful? I was going to throw it away, but discovered that a drop or two gives icing a candy corn flavor. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%