Delivery Suggestion

Business By kristingeorge Updated 1 Dec 2005 , 12:37am by kristingeorge

kristingeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristingeorge Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 26

I have recently started selling cakes... I have only done a few but in a world of "lets go to Fred Meyers, Costco or Sam's club to get a cake" I knew I had to be different. So I decide after delivering my first cake that I needed something fun but business like... Being a girlie girl I thought long and hard... Below is what I came up with... I picked up ribbon in the colors I wanted to use for my business and wrapped my box in the ribbon and was able to find a flower that matched... I put a small sticker on it saying Please Enjoy and cake made custom for you by Kakes by Kristin. When I delivered it the customer was so very thrilled she was impressed and said the look of it was like a professional bakery in our town. High acclaim and I was so excited for a few extra pennies I know that she will pass my name on 5 times over... Hope this helps someone else...
LL

25 replies
ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 26

Very nice touch!! Thanks for sharing. Icmay do the same thing!!
Michelle

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 26

great idea!!

I just had my business card put on a label and I would use that on my boxes...i'll try to post a picture another time, but that looks great!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 26

Just make sure that you allowed for the ribbon and flower in your costs..and that you are able to always find them.

You could do the same ribbon and flower in different colors...to show sizes or flavors!

When I had my small shop I did lables for everything...even may cake boards..lol

I used to airbrush my boxes and tie them with colorful ribbon poufs..

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 2:11am
post #5 of 26

Great idea!! You could coordinate you ribbon, flower(s), label, etc. to the theme or color way of the cake!!! Verrrrry impressive to the customer....especially if they're thinking they could get the same thing at a store. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 2:17am
post #6 of 26

Absolutely fantastic job Kristengeorge! The box is exciting to receive...and they haven't even OPENED it yet.

That's a great lesson to learn. The packaging is what attracts the eye first. Without even tasting the cake, there's an assumption that what they have in their hands is a higher quality of product.

Excellent marketing!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 2:23am
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

The packaging is what attracts the eye first. Without even tasting the cake, there's an assumption that what they have in their hands is a higher quality of product.

Excellent marketing!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

For sure...a nice plus, and people won't be trying to bargain you down on the price when it looks so High End..lol

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 26

...that's a terrifc and unique idea. It really makes you stand out for the rest!! Good marketing!

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 26

Where do you guys get your stickers made? Is there anywhere on the internet or a store that will do more than one color for a good price? The one I make on my printer aren't so great.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-PerryStCakes

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 26

Where do you guys get your stickers made? Is there anywhere on the internet or a store that will do more than one color for a good price? The one I make on my printer aren't so great.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-PerryStCakes

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 26

..I just make my own!

kristingeorge Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 7:03am
post #12 of 26

I use my own printer but simple Google "printing" and you will find 2000 printing companies ... My business cards are printed through VISTA and they seem to be rather good... I got 3 color business cards 500 under $30.00 I thought that was great... Nice quality too....

By the way, I want to thank everyone for your nice comments... I delivered 2 more cakes today and both people were extremely impressed... One other comment on the color coding your flowers to match themes and stuff... It is more cost effective to choose colors and stick with them, then purchase your ribbon and flowers wholesale... Drop cost where ever possible...

Thanks Again
Kristin

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 26

I hardly ever make a cake that fits in a white cardboard box so my customers have to be content with what I can find at Sam's Club large enough to fit their 3D or sculpted cake.

Any of you have a way that is better, I'd love suggestions....the nice thing about the Sam's Club boxes is that they are cheap! (Free...) I just take plastic wrap then and neatly cover any open places and tape it.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 4:54am
post #14 of 26

THe bow is a great idea. I agree that presentation is key. My husband works for a major retailer and is in and out of stores all the time. He is great to run product displays past.

You can get great labels at planetlabel.com...they sell min 500, but you can customize everything. Julia

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 8:22pm
post #15 of 26

I use myownlabels.com. They are very quick and are easy to use.

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 26

I delivered a cake in an upside down hat box this past weekend (Lid was the bottom). I didn't have a large enough box so I had to improvise....it went over great! Unfortunately, I got it at Hobby Lobby so it was high but I am now looking for a cheaper place to get them. I think people will will really like it as well.

Berta

kristingeorge Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 26

I think the hat box is an awesome idea... It is something I have seen before... I company recommended by Oprah makes Southern Pound Cake and ships them in a beautiful hat box with a noisegay on top... They are beautiful... They also charge $80 for their smallest POUND CAKE so yes you have to make sure you tag it to your charge...

Kristin

blittle6 Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 11:23pm
post #18 of 26

$80...WOW!

I wish I could find a place to buy the boxes wholesale, but I have been looking for a while with no luck. The 16 inch one was $9 I don't know many people who would want that much added cost.

Berta

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:18am
post #19 of 26

Hi, uline.com has hat boxes 50 for $82. They are square and white though...not as decorative as what you might have found. Also, I get hat boxes at Tjmaxx's Homegoods Store. They run from 6-10. Midatlanticpackaging.com also has them.

izzybee Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 1:41am
post #20 of 26

Hey guys papermart.com has the best prices on bulk bakery boxes. Check it out.

izzybee Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:56pm
post #21 of 26

I'm sorry, not papermart, its www.boxdepot.com. Many pardons!

blittle6 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 7:03pm
post #22 of 26

Thanks I will check it out!!!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 8:42pm
post #23 of 26

Nice idea and presentation!

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 8:55pm
post #24 of 26

Beautiful presentation!

LetThemEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThemEatCake Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 12:30am
post #25 of 26

Great idea Kristin, that looks beautiful.

BTW, I'm in Dallas now, but I lived in Alaska for 13 years. The majority was spent in Anchorage.

I don't miss the winter, but I miss my mountains.

What bakery was the Customer talking about?

kristingeorge Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 12:37am
post #26 of 26

The Flying Dutchman... Which is a huge compliment... Dutchman is so wonderful... but to have something up on them was great...

BTW... Everyone thank you so much for your nice comments and sweet talk...

kristin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%