Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Using real burlap on buttercream cakes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Using real burlap on buttercream cakes

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 

A customer of mine want to use real burlap wrapping around her buttercream cake for her wedding. Real burlap has an industrial odor and I was wondering if anyone has used this on their cakes.  I am afraid the odor will affect the taste of the buttercream  She does not want fondant she wants the real thing. Can anyone help me with how to treat the burlap to get rid of the smell.  Has anyone else used this?  I would appreciate any input.  Thankyou.  Grammy 1963

post #2 of 31
Sorry, but fuzzy stinky burlap doesn't belong on a cake.
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post Sorry, but fuzzy stinky burlap doesn't belong on a cake.

 

What is it with this burlap fetish? I've heard about this several times before and I'll never understand the request. 

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply
post #4 of 31
Me neither. It's such a gross fabric, period!
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #5 of 31

Burlap is stank and should stay in the barn.  I went to a wedding over the summer and there was burlap everywhere.  I was anticipating livestock attendants.

post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill View Post
 

Burlap is stank and should stay in the barn.  I went to a wedding over the summer and there was burlap everywhere.  I was anticipating livestock attendants.

;-D

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Me neither. It's such a gross fabric, period!

;-D

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post Sorry, but fuzzy stinky burlap doesn't belong on a cake.

 

What is it with this burlap fetish? I've heard about this several times before and I'll never understand the request. 

;-D

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
post #9 of 31

I also had a bride last year. I tried washing, drying outdoors even frebrezze and could not get that smell competely out. I used jute ribbon that had no smell and it worked great. I even made a stand out of the fabric she had giving me for the cake.

post #10 of 31
Oh cr*p, that just put me back to square 1.
My friend wants raffia wrapped round her buttercream cake, is that ok straight on buttercream?
Someone helpfully suggested burlap under it, which made sense, I've never seen it, or smelt it (!) is it really that bad??
post #11 of 31
It's really that bad... Think dank , musty barn smell with itchy lint fibers... On a cake..
post #12 of 31

the fibers alone would make me say NO 

24 years old, Mom to no one and damn proud of it lol. 
Reply
24 years old, Mom to no one and damn proud of it lol. 
Reply
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7031annie View Post

It's really that bad... Think dank , musty barn smell with itchy lint fibers... On a cake..

Ooh no... That will not do....
post #14 of 31

Ok everyone, it's really not like that.  Yes real burlap is a pain, stinky, belongs in a barn and sheds like crazy, but that's NOT what you put on your cake.  You go to any DIY store and purchase a nice roll of jute ribbon - banded on both top and bottom so there's no shedding, there's absolutely NO odor - then you put a white ribbon around the base of your cake - if the icing is white or off white if the icing is off white then put your band of jute ribbon over the white ribbon.  This is all my brides want - country chic, outdoorsy, sometimes paired with lace, sometimes with small sunflowers, and they always have canning jar center pieces and birch bark designed cakes.  I just can't talk them out of it.  If you ever place this ribbon (which by the way looks exactly like real burlap and comes in many widths, colors and patterns - oh yes, I kid you not) on a fondant covered cake you can skip the white ribbon barrier.  I'm experimenting with edible lace in hope of changing 2015 brides minds. 

post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH View Post
 

Ok everyone, it's really not like that.  Yes real burlap is a pain, stinky, belongs in a barn and sheds like crazy, but that's NOT what you put on your cake.  You go to any DIY store and purchase a nice roll of jute ribbon - banded on both top and bottom so there's no shedding, there's absolutely NO odor - then you put a white ribbon around the base of your cake - if the icing is white or off white if the icing is off white then put your band of jute ribbon over the white ribbon.  This is all my brides want - country chic, outdoorsy, sometimes paired with lace, sometimes with small sunflowers, and they always have canning jar center pieces and birch bark designed cakes.  I just can't talk them out of it.  If you ever place this ribbon (which by the way looks exactly like real burlap and comes in many widths, colors and patterns - oh yes, I kid you not) on a fondant covered cake you can skip the white ribbon barrier.  I'm experimenting with edible lace in hope of changing 2015 brides minds. 

Great ideas!!  I'll save my burlap for the shrubs in winter. 

 

I always get a kick out of the 'country chic' thing.  I think it's really cute and all...but I can't help but think what an actual 1940's country housewife would think of it! Sure there was burlap around.... it tended to encase animal feed....and mason jars were used to put up food, so the family wouldn't starve come January, and the wildflowers would have stayed in the pasture, because who had the time to pick them?!

 

It's all going to wind up on Portlandia very soon :lol:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Using real burlap on buttercream cakes