Hi, I am fairly new to cakes and I have a slew of questions. Please answer any that you can.
1. Is it cheaper to make cakes from scratch or buy them boxed? I read on a thread on this forum that it's cheaper from the box, but people that I know personally say otherwise.
2. I want to begin selling cakes eventually and to do that, would it be ok to use the ones in the box or should I make from scratch if I want to sell?
3. I saw white icing in a big bucket but for some reason it didn't seem to excite me. LOL, for some reason I got the impression that it would be nasty tasting! Has anyone ever tried the icing in the big white bucket? I think I saw it at Michaels.
4. If I make icing from scratch, would it be safe to store it in a big bucket or would I need to use it all within a few days?
5. What do you use to mix your cake batter? I don't know the name of it but there's something that I've seen, an electrical item that stirs very quickly. Is that what you all use or do you use a big spoon?
6. If I make from scratch, is it better to use regular flour or cake flour?
7. Does it make a difference as to whether I use butter, margarine, or cooking oil? Or do they all work the same?