Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › am I good enough?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

am I good enough? - Page 8

post #106 of 115

I don't torte either.  I do two layers of cake and a fatter layer of filling.  If I had an Agbay I might give it a whirl, but generally speaking I like a bigger ratio of cake to fillings and buttercream.

post #107 of 115

I torte for wedding cakes (or any cake over 2 tiers) for a fancier looking presentation.

 

For party cakes, I don't.

 

Price them differently as well.  I am thinking of torting all and charging the same price across the board but worry that my loyal party cake customers will not be so appreciative!

Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
post #108 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill View Post
 

I don't torte either.  I do two layers of cake and a fatter layer of filling.  If I had an Agbay I might give it a whirl, but generally speaking I like a bigger ratio of cake to fillings and buttercream.

Is an Agbay the layer cutter thingy?  

 

I used to never torte bc I would BUTCHER my cakes and couldn't cut my cakes straight all the way around.

 

Over the years, I just kept trying and now do it in a way that produces pretty consistent results.

 

I hold my long serrated knife as one should hold a knife and crook my pinky finger at a certain angle and while keeping my pinking firmly on the countertop, without changing the angle or moving the knife, I spin the cake around in a circle and deeply (1/4-1/2") score around the cake.  From there, I just keep turning the cake til I get all the way through.  

 

First I level the cake in same way, just keeping the pinky more extended.  Sounds odd, I suppose, but it works and I can do it pretty quickly now.

Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
post #109 of 115
Quote:
Is an Agbay the layer cutter thingy? 

Yes.

 

Quote:
I used to never torte bc I would BUTCHER my cakes and couldn't cut my cakes straight all the way around. 

This is me.  LOL.

 

But I also just like more cake than filling I guess. I do tend to pile on the buttercream so like AZ said, I like to have a balance with everything.  I do like having three layers of cake and two layers of filling, but I don't have three of each pan size so I almost never do cakes like that (only for family).

post #110 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 View Post

Is an Agbay the layer cutter thingy?  

I used to never torte bc I would BUTCHER my cakes and couldn't cut my cakes straight all the way around.

Over the years, I just kept trying and now do it in a way that produces pretty consistent results.

I hold my long serrated knife as one should hold a knife and crook my pinky finger at a certain angle and while keeping my pinking firmly on the countertop, without changing the angle or moving the knife, I spin the cake around in a circle and deeply (1/4-1/2") score around the cake.  From there, I just keep turning the cake til I get all the way through.  

First I level the cake in same way, just keeping the pinky more extended.  Sounds odd, I suppose, but it works and I can do it pretty quickly now.
This sounds like the same method I use; it works well for me! icon_smile.gif
I hope this isn't terribly inappropriate, but I just have to show you what is being passed off as acceptable at the bakery in my town. This picture showed up in my newsfeed this morning from a friend entering to win something from this bakery on Facebook. Check out their nice even layers:
400
post #111 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish View Post


This sounds like the same method I use; it works well for me! icon_smile.gif
I hope this isn't terribly inappropriate, but I just have to show you what is being passed off as acceptable at the bakery in my town. This picture showed up in my newsfeed this morning from a friend entering to win something from this bakery on Facebook. Check out their nice even layers:

Nice...since I love chocolate, I would be pretty irked!

Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
post #112 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish View Post


This sounds like the same method I use; it works well for me! icon_smile.gif
I hope this isn't terribly inappropriate, but I just have to show you what is being passed off as acceptable at the bakery in my town. This picture showed up in my newsfeed this morning from a friend entering to win something from this bakery on Facebook. Check out their nice even layers:

 

The Agbay was a must for me - Even my husband said GET IT - LOL   Unless my cakes rise higher than the pan so I can run a knife across the top edge, I butcher it!  Oh how I butcher it - hahaha 
Now I use Agbay to level and torte when the cake call for it. - Very fast

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
post #113 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 View Post

Is an Agbay the layer cutter thingy?  

I used to never torte bc I would BUTCHER my cakes and couldn't cut my cakes straight all the way around.

Over the years, I just kept trying and now do it in a way that produces pretty consistent results.

I hold my long serrated knife as one should hold a knife and crook my pinky finger at a certain angle and while keeping my pinking firmly on the countertop, without changing the angle or moving the knife, I spin the cake around in a circle and deeply (1/4-1/2") score around the cake.  From there, I just keep turning the cake til I get all the way through.  

First I level the cake in same way, just keeping the pinky more extended.  Sounds odd, I suppose, but it works and I can do it pretty quickly now.
This sounds like the same method I use; it works well for me! icon_smile.gif
I hope this isn't terribly inappropriate, but I just have to show you what is being passed off as acceptable at the bakery in my town. This picture showed up in my newsfeed this morning from a friend entering to win something from this bakery on Facebook. Check out their nice even layers:
400

Wow, that chocolate "layer" looks like it might be the hump cut off the top of the cake.

Before I got my agbay, I would lever against the top of the pan, and use a strong, fishing line, or dental floss to torte my cakes. Before separating, I would use a dab of buttercream to mark the layers so I would stack them back the way they came, since it wasn't perfect.
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #114 of 115

There are so many tricks to getting layers even, it's just silly that cakes go out looking like that.
The first shop I worked at we would use cake drums in a pan, underneath the layer, to raise it above the top of the pan. Then rest the knife on the pan and slice through. Totally jury-rigged, haha, but they still came out even and didn't cost an extra cent.

post #115 of 115

I've started cutting the fondant covered cakes so there's 4 layers of cake and 3  layers of icing.  As there is so little icing outside, I put it inside.  I like icing.:P  But it's the Agbay that made this possible.

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › am I good enough?