Thank you all for being so helpful here! I've learned a ton already just browsing the threads!
I've recently (last couple of months) started baking again, and finding that I absolutely love it! Besides the fact that it is very relaxing to watch cake decorating videos on yourtube, I also got inspired to try out some things for myself.
I am thinking of selling cakes part time as a hobby/business but I have some questions that I couldn't find a good answer to (maybe I just suck at looking, that is also possible..).
Some about the business side, some about baking itself. I hope it is ok to put them all in one thread?
1. I am thinking of starting with "selling" my cakes at cost price, where the customers clearly understand that I am just starting and that my cakes are not yet perfect. Good tasting (I am confident about that) but with maybe not as pretty decorations yet.
I think it is a way for me to get to practice without having too much costs, and without growing too fat from all the cakes I have to eat...
Legally, I'm in Mexico, I don't think that there is any issue with that, especially because I will only be selling to friends or friends of friends and won't have a website or even a facebook page yet.
What do you guys think of this idea? Is it morally and ethically ok? I will not except any orders for a wedding cake for example, or any other super important events.
2. I have a great recipe for a chocolate cake but it makes a SUPER large cake. Can I just divide all the ingredients by half to make a more decent size cake?
3. Speaking of sizes... how do you determine how many people your cake feeds? Is there an industry standard slice size? I'm told I always cut my cakes too big, so maybe my cake-for-8 actually feeds 16?
4. If you make cakes with a filling, what do you prefer? One higher cake and you cut it in half, or 2 smaller cakes and you stack one on top of the other? Why one or the other?
5. Any good recipes for diary-free and diary-substitute-free fillings? Most diary substitutes I cannot get here, and I cannot have any diary because of a cow protein allergy in my daughter (breastfeeding still) and I really would like to have some cake myself as well some day!
Thank you all so much for your patience! I hope I didn't break any rules by posting this, if so, please let me know and I will delete this thread right away!!