Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Time Management?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time Management?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Three months into the cake business and for the first weekend ever, I have three 2-tiered cakes due this Saturday. Usually when I have just one to do, I just do it all Saturday morning. Now that I have to do three and aren't fairly small, idk how to prepare myself. Do I bake, level, & dirty ice sometime throughout the week and just decorate all 3 of then on Saturday? I have no idea. TIA
post #2 of 15
I'm sure that others will have other ways of going about it, but here is how I would handle this:
Today and tomorrow- make any decorations that can be or need to be done ahead. (Flowers, figures, etc)
Thursday - bake all the cakes, prepare fillings, buttercream, etc.
Friday - fill, frost and fondant. Get the cakes as close to finished as you can before exhaustion sets in. Drink wine.
Saturday - finishing details and delivery
Sunday - assess how crazy you felt this week. Vow to never take more orders than you can manage ever again! icon_wink.gif
post #3 of 15

I agree, never wait until the morning of the event to finish the cake, that's asking for trouble. Do it at least the day before, then if you need to finish up final touches the day of you'll have all of it done.

 

And it's "crumb coat" not "dirty ice." I think Cake Boss is the one and only time I'd ever heard anyone use that term, so he might have made it up, but it's a crumb coat. Yeah.

post #4 of 15
Oh yes please, this dirty ice business makes most of s****** and silently judge a person's professionalism. JUST KIDDING! All in good fun, just making a funny, don't take it personally, we like to joke around in here.

I would maybe calculate how long one takes ypu, and maybe figure out where to go from there. I can't really answer this cause we all have our own routines and baking styles, and prep work, anyways, good luck with that.
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #5 of 15
Really filtering program? You thought sn i g ge r was a bad word? Ok, chuckle. Better?
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish View Post

I'm sure that others will have other ways of going about it, but here is how I would handle this:
Today and tomorrow- make any decorations that can be or need to be done ahead. (Flowers, figures, etc)
Thursday - bake all the cakes, prepare fillings, buttercream, etc.
Friday - fill, frost and fondant. Get the cakes as close to finished as you can before exhaustion sets in. Drink wine.
Saturday - finishing details and delivery
Sunday - assess how crazy you felt this week. Vow to never take more orders than you can manage ever again! icon_wink.gif

You forgot to add Drink wine after delivery on Saturday  into Sunday.

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Really filtering program? You thought sn i g ge r was a bad word? Ok, chuckle. Better?
Thank you! I was trying to figure out what you had typed there and the "s" word that I came up with didn't fit at all!
post #8 of 15

I like as you wish's time management plan. Especially the wine :) Except I'd probably hold off on it until Sunday then knock back a bottle! You will be busy, so wishing you heaps of luck that everything goes super smoothly xxx

post #9 of 15

I thought you wrote Sh_ _head, and figured since I don't watch that "dirty Icing" show anymore I'd have to agree.

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska View Post
 

I thought you wrote Sh_ _head, and figured since I don't watch that "dirty Icing" show anymore I'd have to agree.

 

LOL! Yeah, I thought you'd wrote s***t as well!! I cracked up laughing when I saw you wrote s n i g g e r. Hee hee!

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahquinn View Post

You forgot to add Drink wine after delivery on Saturday  into Sunday.
Somehow, you've been watching me! icon_wink.gif
post #12 of 15
A good stiff one after you're all done does sound like good therapy.



A drink, people, get your minds out of the gutter!
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

A good stiff one after you're all done does sound like good therapy.



 


Hey, what you do after your deliveries is just TMI for a public forum! :lol: 

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee View Post
Hey, what you do after your deliveries is just TMI for a public forum! :lol: 

That's funny Elcee.  So now we know the real reason for those quickie deliveries.

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska View Post
 

That's funny Elcee.  So now we know the real reason for those quickie deliveries.

:D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Time Management?