Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Radiant Orchid? Are you kidding me???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Radiant Orchid? Are you kidding me???

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

So I was just catching up on one of my favorite shows, Project Runway, and they had to use Pantone's new "Color of the year for 2014" - "radiant orchid".  OK, this is ridiculous.  What the heck is "radiant orchid" and can someone please call it the color that it actually is because I'm looking at every color wheel I've ever owned and "radiant orchid" isn't on there.  I'm posting this here because I'm sure we'll be seeing all kinds of blog posts and magazine spreads pushing "radiant orchid" very, very soon ans I'm sure I'll have to use the color on a cake sometime soon.

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF View Post
 

So I was just catching up on one of my favorite shows, Project Runway, and they had to use Pantone's new "Color of the year for 2014" - "radiant orchid".  OK, this is ridiculous.  What the heck is "radiant orchid" and can someone please call it the color that it actually is because I'm looking at every color wheel I've ever owned and "radiant orchid" isn't on there.  I'm posting this here because I'm sure we'll be seeing all kinds of blog posts and magazine spreads pushing "radiant orchid" very, very soon ans I'm sure I'll have to use the color on a cake sometime soon.

 

Thanks!


ROTFL, I answered a thread where a poster was trying to figure out how to achieve it, I did some research and I'm still at at loss, all I could come up with is panetone and some random number. I would call it Puplink,lol. Purple and pink combined.

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

I mean come on.  Lame.  At least last year was green.  I know they called it something else but it was freakin green.  But this is a seriously made up color that, uh, we are going to have to figure out somehow...  so, so stupid.  

post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF View Post
 

I mean come on.  Lame.  At least last year was green.  I know they called it something else but it was freakin green.  But this is a seriously made up color that, uh, we are going to have to figure out somehow...  so, so stupid.  


IKR. Well when you do please let us know. By the way have you experimented with making the color yet? I was going to try with some left over BC to see how many drops of Americolor pink, purple or what ever to get close to it. I think I'm going to call it"that radiant whatever color",lol.

post #5 of 15

I would call it a lavender with a red undertone, instead of a blue undertone like a periwinkle.

 

Liz

Follow me on my Twitter handle: @Sugar_Iowa

Or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SugarFineBakedGoodsAndConfections

Reply

Follow me on my Twitter handle: @Sugar_Iowa

Or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SugarFineBakedGoodsAndConfections

Reply
post #6 of 15

post #7 of 15

That looks pretty much like violet with a bit of pink added to me, in terms of coloring fondant. Heaven help us all trying to photograph our cakes...

post #8 of 15
post #9 of 15

I just meant add a lot of violet and a little pink to a blob of fondant. :)  I use a color wheel, but mixing food color which is a dye, is quite different from mixing paint pigments.


Edited by howsweet - 1/11/14 at 1:14pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post
 

I just meant add a lot of violet and a little pink to a blob of fondant. :)


Sorry howsweet, I should have quoted Liz.

 

"I would call it a lavender with a red undertone, instead of a blue undertone like a periwinkle."

 

Liz

 

I think the color is intriguing and will make for some beautiful cakes in the gallery. I wish all of you the best in using the color in the future.

 

Off to work.

 

Happy Baking

post #11 of 15

Yeaaaaah. Hey, Betty Ford is saving a room for ya. 

*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet View Post
 

I just meant add a lot of violet and a little pink to a blob of fondant. :)  I use a color wheel, but mixing food color which is a dye, is quite different from mixing paint pigments.


I use them for references, color is color, no matter what the medium is.


Edited by enga - 1/11/14 at 1:30pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post
 

Yeaaaaah. Hey, Betty Ford is saving a room for ya. 


?

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post
 

Yeaaaaah. Hey, Betty Ford is saving a room for ya. 

 

Inside joke, guys.  AZ and I are cool, she's being funny but only a few of us probably get the joke.  If you get it, awesome, if not, don't take offence at my account, just move on to talking about this stupid color.

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 

I just realized CC's main website colors are pretty much radiant orchid.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Radiant Orchid? Are you kidding me???