Which icing is better to use when working with fondant?
Buttercream or Royal icing
Cake Central Top Picks
Thank you for replying, but I think I got my answer. What I meant was what type of icing to use on a cake before applying fondant on top of it. Maybe you could answer another question for me if you don't mind. It's my first time using fondant and would like to apply beads onto the fondant for decor. How long after applying the fondant can I put on the beads?
This is how I do it:
1) level cakes & fill, using a thick buttercream dam around the edge
2) crumb coat with buttercream and let sit for 6-8 hours to settle
3) apply thick coat of buttercream, smooth and pop in fridge overnight
4) apply fondant
5) Pop back in fridge until I have all tiers done & am ready to apply decorations
6) decorate (coula be within the hour of applying fondant, could be several hours)