Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Friday Night Cake Club for 12/13/13
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Friday Night Cake Club for 12/13/13 - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Hmm. Won't upload picture....
post #17 of 35
Thread Starter 

Ana: the pock marks are from undissolved powdered sugar. This is usually an indication that the sugar you have is old and needs double sifting. If you are not sifting your PS into your melted marshmallows yet then you may want to begin doing so. If you suspect your sugar may be old (look at the dates) then just double sift it into a bowl before mixing it into the marshmallows. Please do post a photo if you get a chance! We love to see them here!

 

Cat

post #18 of 35

Sorry, I'm late.  Was feeling a bit down and then I had 2 small cakes to make.  I just love the holidays and love seeing what everybody is making.  I wanted to make a giant gingerbread house this year, Don't think its going to happen.  I haven't even started making cookies or candies.

 

These cakes were for a brother & sister who celebrate their birthday 1 day apart.  Nothing original about the cake order itself.

 

Virginia 323.253.8213
www.urbanainez.com
He is the man of my dreams, my prince; He gives me the desires of my heart, He completes me. His name is Jesus
Reply
Virginia 323.253.8213
www.urbanainez.com
He is the man of my dreams, my prince; He gives me the desires of my heart, He completes me. His name is Jesus
Reply
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper View Post

Ana: the pock marks are from undissolved powdered sugar. This is usually an indication that the sugar you have is old and needs double sifting. If you are not sifting your PS into your melted marshmallows yet then you may want to begin doing so. If you suspect your sugar may be old (look at the dates) then just double sift it into a bowl before mixing it into the marshmallows. Please do post a photo if you get a chance! We love to see them here!

Cat
Oh right! Thanks Cat
It was actually store bought, I don't make my own yet, but want to soon, so that's good to know.
I'll try again icon_smile.gif

700

I think it worked from the PC this time. Stoopid Phone!
post #20 of 35

Heloo!!!! Been banned...:cry:..again. Here is my latest creation.The fondant is still wet but would love other feedback. Not getting anything back from peer review club Made this to share with my class tomorrow... Fondant is still wet.

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCOhio View Post

I've got a rather boring cake to work on tomorrow for my neohew's birthday party (Duck Dynasty...ecchhh) and spent most of this week finishing my Christmas shopping and making cookies for friends that are just repeats of designs I've already done. I did get to try the cute upside down gingerbread man into a reindeer cookie that's taken Pinterest over, though. I saw Cookies With Character's take on it and she had the best idea!

Genius!

post #22 of 35
Thread Starter 

Ginn...so the overall party design was Mickey & Minnie? Cute!

 

Ana...the castle is wonderful!

 

BatterUp...what do you mean banned?? And the minion cake is just too funny! I love that you did one of the single eyed characters and added so much more personality! Other than toning down the shiny I can't think of anything I would change!

 

Cat

post #23 of 35

I've been on here a while and seen so much conflicting info on cc maybe you can help me understand when to make the character cakes and when not to? Some people scream NONONO but so many cleints always want them and I need to make money. If I don't make them somebody else is going to get their money and your cakes are cute and I want to make those kinds to!!!!

“Manipulative people prey on our sensibilities, emotional sensitivity. Sometimes they speak and act with such conviction, we begin to believe them or start feeling responsible in some way for what we perceive to be their pain.” Dr George Simon
Reply
“Manipulative people prey on our sensibilities, emotional sensitivity. Sometimes they speak and act with such conviction, we begin to believe them or start feeling responsible in some way for what we perceive to be their pain.” Dr George Simon
Reply
post #24 of 35
Thread Starter 

Bilbo, Character cakes are a hard one. General "look" or "background" cakes are ok. Just use licensed figurines on them. Of course if you are giving the cake away or this is a personal family member or friends cake then that is ok too. But making copies of licensed figures is considered copyright infringement. Chances are you will "get away with it" but the one time you don't can cost you $10k or more. BUT there is a loophole of sorts. For instance if you are asked to make a Chanel purse you can make it with different looking "c" characters so it resembles but isn't a copy of the actual item. My favorite is to make a background cake (inserted here is my Beauty and the Beast cake as an example) and these are always huge hits. This is what I normally do. Now I do have a Minecraft and a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake in my albums but those were for my own kids and not sold. So it's a fine line that I, personally, try not to cross.  Cat

 

This is the background cake I made to go with the figurine playset for my granddaughters birthday this weekend! She is Belle crazy so we built the party around B&B. Lemon chiffon cake covered in MMF. Library shelves are handpainted fondant.

post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper View Post
 

Bilbo, Character cakes are a hard one. General "look" or "background" cakes are ok. Just use licensed figurines on them. Of course if you are giving the cake away or this is a personal family member or friends cake then that is ok too. But making copies of licensed figures is considered copyright infringement. Chances are you will "get away with it" but the one time you don't can cost you $10k or more. BUT there is a loophole of sorts. For instance if you are asked to make a Chanel purse you can make it with different looking "c" characters so it resembles but isn't a copy of the actual item. My favorite is to make a background cake (inserted here is my Beauty and the Beast cake as an example) and these are always huge hits. This is what I normally do. Now I do have a Minecraft and a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake in my albums but those were for my own kids and not sold. So it's a fine line that I, personally, try not to cross.  Cat

 

This is the background cake I made to go with the figurine playset for my granddaughters birthday this weekend! She is Belle crazy so we built the party around B&B. Lemon chiffon cake covered in MMF. Library shelves are handpainted fondant.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper View Post
 

Ginn...so the overall party design was Mickey & Minnie? Cute!

 

Ana...the castle is wonderful!

 

BatterUp...what do you mean banned?? And the minion cake is just too funny! I love that you did one of the single eyed characters and added so much more personality! Other than toning down the shiny I can't think of anything I would change!

 

Cat

My minion cake is not forsale. This isto take into my baking and pastry class. If I see a character cake I buy a licensed characters and design the background

post #26 of 35

I love those reindeer cookies!  I may have to try them if I miraculously end up with some free time.

 

I know I'm a little late to the party this week, but here are my offerings:

 

A gluten-free chocolate cake with a sugarpaste unicorn on top and hand-painted bunting.

 

This cake was for my daughter's 10th birthday, for her to take to her autism support group.  I used the tutorial that was on the front page here and was pretty pleased with how it turned out.

 

For her actual birthday party I covered a cake, re-used the unicorn and then let the children loose with some fondant and cutters.  I think they did a great job!

 

This cake was decorated using the unicorn from the previous cake and then I let my children and a friend loose with some fondant and cutters.

post #27 of 35

Oh, and I also did a ton of baking for our children's School's Christmas Play baking stall:

 

 

I made the vanilla cupcakes and chocolate-covered homemade marshmallow pops you can see in the photo, as well as some chocolate peppermint cupcakes, some candy-cane reindeer and several banana loaves and tea loaves.  It doesn't sound a lot now I list it, but with having to do birthday cakes too, it felt like an awful lot!  I love baking, but I really don't know how some of you can produce the quantity you do - it's amazing!

post #28 of 35

I was bad so I was suspended. Completely deserved THIS TIME...

post #29 of 35
Do tell......
post #30 of 35

posed a link to a contest for a product I sell... :( Bad bad baker

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Friday Night Cake Club for 12/13/13