Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › My Baking Channel :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Baking Channel :) - Page 2

Poll Results: Do you like it?

 
  • 18% (4)
    Yes :)
  • 81% (18)
    No :(
22 Total Votes  
post #16 of 75
Thanks for sharing your tutorial. The point of sharing is to educate and learn, as you stated. Many of the people who posted are very good at what they do.

When asking for feedback or constructive criticism, as you have with your poll, you're going to get it.

I do most of my fondant cutouts with an exacto knife, I keep meaning to order a scalpel-either will yield better results.
post #17 of 75

Good on you for having a go, but as has been suggested buy yourself an exacto or small sharp paring knife you will get much cleaner cuts.

 

When responding to a particular post click on the "Quote button at the bottom of the box, the quote you are responding to will appear in the Reply box and make it clear what you are answering.

post #18 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenoirify View Post
 

I JUST WANT TO CLEARIFY SOME THINGS:

 

 

1) I´m from Austria so excuse me if my grammar isn't correct

2) I´m NOT a pro and my tutorials are just for inspiration purpose and to show beginners that it is not hard to decorate cupcakes/cakes nicely
3) I´m more of a visual type so I think it is easier if you just see how I do it. I´m not a fan of people talking and talking and talking in tutorials because you see how they do it anyway.


So please remember that before you post something mean. Thanks.

This is what I mean, I am answering this post so I have clicked the Quote box at the bottom, your post shows up and it is clear this is the one I am answering.

My daughter recently travelled through Europe and loved Austria, it was her favourite country to visit.

post #19 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 810whitechoc View Post
 

This is what I mean, I am answering this post so I have clicked the Quote box at the bottom, your post shows up and it is clear this is the one I am answering.

My daughter recently travelled through Europe and loved Austria, it was her favourite country to visit.

Ah ok now i get it :party:

I will definitely buy a special knife in my local bake-decoration store thanks for the tip!

And yes austria is pretty cool :)

post #20 of 75

you can buy an exatco knife at your local hardware/home improvement store- you don't need to buy at the cake decorating supply shop- it will be probably a lot more expensive at the cake supply shop. 

 

Are you in school still or a teenager?

 

PS- I love Austria too! 

post #21 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenoirify View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 810whitechoc View Post
 

This is what I mean, I am answering this post so I have clicked the Quote box at the bottom, your post shows up and it is clear this is the one I am answering.

My daughter recently travelled through Europe and loved Austria, it was her favourite country to visit.

Ah ok now i get it :party:

I will definitely buy a special knife in my local bake-decoration store thanks for the tip!

And yes austria is pretty cool :)

 

 

you are smarter than you think--i was amazed that you did not cut your mat--if you 'upgrade' to an exacto knife you will ruin your mat--so there's that too--

 

since you are out of the country--the copyright issue lessens--especially since this is just a 'for fun' video

 

since you are helpful and sweet and giving and made some cute videos i think you are purely inspirational and deserve a big round of applause--

 

*=D> applause

one baker's never ever do is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
Reply
one baker's never ever do is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
Reply
post #22 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat View Post
 

you can buy an exatco knife at your local hardware/home improvement store- you don't need to buy at the cake decorating supply shop- it will be probably a lot more expensive at the cake supply shop. 

 

Are you in school still or a teenager?

 

PS- I love Austria too! 

Thanks for the tip!

I´m a student right now (3rd semester of university)

post #23 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis View Post
 

 

 

you are smarter than you think--i was amazed that you did not cut your mat--if you 'upgrade' to an exacto knife you will ruin your mat--so there's that too--

 

since you are out of the country--the copyright issue lessens--especially since this is just a 'for fun' video

 

since you are helpful and sweet and giving and made some cute videos i think you are purely inspirational and deserve a big round of applause--

 

*=D> applause

Awwww the last sentence was SOO sweet of you :oops::grin:

post #24 of 75

ellenoify,  many people will use UTube to find tutorials for many cake decorating ideas - even some pros, so the more professional the video the better.  Using exacto knifes and/or razor blades for sharp edges, using a circle cutter instead of a glass will help.  Making sure your fondant doesn't come across sticky (very unappetizing). There are mats that handle these sharp blades nicely - Google self healing mat.  They are inexpensive and worth the money.  Don't film with jewelry on (your bracelet) as it's distracting.

 

You asked for feedback and this is the place to get it.  You won't always get rainbows but you will get some pretty useful info, even if it's tough.  It can only make you better.

 

Jeanne

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
post #25 of 75
I don't understand why people feel the need to make people feel less of themselves. Does it matter if she is a beginner or a pro? If she is a beginner does that mean you can't learn something from her? I dare say no matter how advanced you think are there is ALWAYS something new to learn from ANYONE. I don't care how advanced I am I'm always on the lookout to learn new things and I don't discount anyone because they are a "beginner". There is no need to tear someone down and make them feel less of themselves, her tutorial was cute and if it's not on your level than fine keep it moving but don't bash her for it and yea ok so she put the voting buttons that's still no reason to offer up negativity, either you like it or you don't. Plain and simple. If she asked for more detailed critique that would be different and even then you don't offer critique in a demeaning manner. This is supposed to be a forum to encourage and help one another regardless of what level you are.
"If "Plan A" didn't work. The alphabet has 25 more letters. Stay Cool"


"The purpose of a business is to create a customer who creates customers"
Reply
"If "Plan A" didn't work. The alphabet has 25 more letters. Stay Cool"


"The purpose of a business is to create a customer who creates customers"
Reply
post #26 of 75

i liked the video!!! good job :) 

post #27 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow View Post
 

ellenoify,  many people will use UTube to find tutorials for many cake decorating ideas - even some pros, so the more professional the video the better.  Using exacto knifes and/or razor blades for sharp edges, using a circle cutter instead of a glass will help.  Making sure your fondant doesn't come across sticky (very unappetizing). There are mats that handle these sharp blades nicely - Google self healing mat.  They are inexpensive and worth the money.  Don't film with jewelry on (your bracelet) as it's distracting.

 

You asked for feedback and this is the place to get it.  You won't always get rainbows but you will get some pretty useful info, even if it's tough.  It can only make you better.

 

Jeanne

Thank you! I know that I will get criticism here but I just want it to be constructive! 
Like yours! Because some people right "oh that´s a bad video" but they don´t tell me what I can do better so really thank you :)

post #28 of 75
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwright View Post

I don't understand why people feel the need to make people feel less of themselves. Does it matter if she is a beginner or a pro? If she is a beginner does that mean you can't learn something from her? I dare say no matter how advanced you think are there is ALWAYS something new to learn from ANYONE. I don't care how advanced I am I'm always on the lookout to learn new things and I don't discount anyone because they are a "beginner". There is no need to tear someone down and make them feel less of themselves, her tutorial was cute and if it's not on your level than fine keep it moving but don't bash her for it and yea ok so she put the voting buttons that's still no reason to offer up negativity, either you like it or you don't. Plain and simple. If she asked for more detailed critique that would be different and even then you don't offer critique in a demeaning manner. This is supposed to be a forum to encourage and help one another regardless of what level you are.

OMG that is exactly what I mean! Thank you very much :)

post #29 of 75

IMO, I don't believe anyone was being mean.  You got some tough and sometimes blunt feedback - nothing wrong with that, just hard to hear sometimes.  We all have had to listen to the tough stuff from time to time.  It's made me much better.  Now, when I ask for critique I expect the cold hard truth.  There's always something I didn't expect that I can correct to bring things up a level.

 

You have quiet a few videos out there so maybe it's time to watch them to see what others are trying to tell you.  The more you critique yourself, the better your next one will be. 

 

Jeanne

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply

I love what I do and do what I love

https://www.facebook.com/JeanneWinslowCakeDesign

Reply
post #30 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Who is the tutorial best suited for, if someone asked you? Like who would you aim this at, what sort of decorator? Beginner, hobbyist, seasoned pro, etc.

 

 

^^^this^^^ perfect question and it was the #2 post in the thread--

 

obviously this incredible and enthusiastic video is for anyone from rank beginner on up--people who don't even have spiffy tools--this is brilliant and i'm not blowing smoke--it's incredible because she pulled it off even with the too soft fondant--the results are adorable--the results would delight the recipients--

 

exchanging the process to create something fun and beautiful is a gift-- ta daa!

 

teaching is not a display of knowledge--it's a transfer and this video succeeds--

 

i love nick lodge--he is a wonderful human being and in class he is brilliant--his classes are most user friendly --incredibly set up--he is a pro amongst pros--however i have never been able to stay awake during one of his videos--and i have several--i have offered them to friends who have insomnia--he makes the most beautiful flowers--and he could have a second career in 'sleep aid therapy' --

 

i don't think being pro and proper is always the preferred direction--

 

"ta daa"

one baker's never ever do is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
Reply
one baker's never ever do is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › My Baking Channel :)