Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › How many boxes of cake mix do I need?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many boxes of cake mix do I need?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I do cupcakes only but that changed recently when I scored some very inexpensive never been used vintage 4 tier cake pans. Whenever I try something new, I use boxed cake mix. So how many will I need for a 6", 8", 10", & 12" double layers? I'm actually going to practice with only the first two tiers at first. Will 2 boxes be enough for that? Thank you!

Also any advice you can give on doing my first 2 tier cake would be appreciated icon_smile.gif.
post #2 of 16

Check out this site. It will tell you how many cups of batter to use per cake pan. An average cake mix is 4 to 5 1/2 cups of batter. I bake from scratch, so I know when I do a 6 inch tier, I still have batter left over. An 8 inch tier will take my entire batch. 

 

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
post #3 of 16

wilton has a great chart for that--look across the top where it says cups of batter, the 4th column--

 

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

 

and for advice? go for it!  *=D> applause 

one baker's never ever do is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
 
Reply
one baker's never ever do is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
 
Reply
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thank you K8 & MF!!!! I'm way too excited! I was thinking of doing all buttercream roses or the kind with the rhinestone band & roses. Something simple for my first icon_smile.gif.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPink_LipGloss View Post

Thank you K8 & MF!!!! I'm way too excited! I was thinking of doing all buttercream roses or the kind with the rhinestone band & roses. Something simple for my first icon_smile.gif.

 

Do you know my family or something? They call me MF as a joke. hahahahaha!!!

 

I think your first cake will be GREAT! 

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Lol thanks!!! I really hope so. I decided to cover in white fondant which I've done before & decorate with cascading fondant butterflies. Do I need to put a dowel minus the cake board through both tiers or dowels & cake board in each tier? That's the only part that's confusing me. Thanks!!!!
post #7 of 16

You want to dowel each tier - not the layers…I think that's what you were asking. 

 

After your cakes are covered in fondant, have the 12" cake sitting on the cake base…drum…stand…whatever you are putting it on. Take an 10 inch cake circle and place it on top of the 12 inch cake and score around it lightly with a knife so you know where your 10 inch cake will sit. Dowel that circle very well! 

 

Do the same with all tiers using the cardboard circles as a guide to where to place your dowels.

 

After the cake is stacked and doweled, you can put a center dowel all the way through the entire cake and through the cake base. It's not necessary, but you can do it. 

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeagan View Post

You want to dowel each tier - not the layers…I think that's what you were asking. 

After your cakes are covered in fondant, have the 12" cake sitting on the cake base…drum…stand…whatever you are putting it on. Take an 10 inch cake circle and place it on top of the 12 inch cake and score around it lightly with a knife so you know where your 10 inch cake will sit. Dowel that circle very well! 

Do the same with all tiers using the cardboard circles as a guide to where to place your dowels.

After the cake is stacked and doweled, you can put a center dowel all the way through the entire cake and through the cake base. It's not necessary, but you can do it. 
Thank you for clearing that up. It's so confusing bc I watch plenty YouTube videos & some use just dowels & no cake board or one dowel through the whole cake.
post #9 of 16

If you only used dowels and no cake board, your cake would collapse. The cakes rest on the board. The board rests on the dowels. All the weight is transferred into the dowels and down to the cake base. :) 

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
Reply
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
That makes much more sense. I don't understand how others make cakes without dowels & cake boards.
post #11 of 16

You don't need to measure batter - it's soooooo messy :(

Each 10" round and 8" square will use one cake mix batter for each layer.

A 12" round and 10" sq uses 1 1/2 each layer

8" round *and* 6 in round uses one batter

OR three 6" rounds use one mix batter.

a 14" round and 12" sq use 2 cake mixes.

post #12 of 16

I hope that the following links will help you, they are great for anyone, specially beginners! The first link is from a very special CC member, this is my way to always remember him . He was a very wonderful person.My thanks always to RYLAN.

 

 

 

http://cakecentral.com/t/654103/hundreds-of-tutorials-in-here

 

http://www.designmeacake.com/tutorials.html

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thank
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi View Post

You don't need to measure batter - it's soooooo messy icon_sad.gif
Each 10" round and 8" square will use one cake mix batter for each layer.
A 12" round and 10" sq uses 1 1/2 each layer
8" round *and* 6 in round uses one batter
OR three 6" rounds use one mix batter.
a 14" round and 12" sq use 2 cake mixes.
This is so helpful, thank you icon_smile.gif.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by soledad View Post

I hope that the following links will help you, they are great for anyone, specially beginners! The first link is from a very special CC member, this is my way to always remember him . He was a very wonderful person.My thanks always to RYLAN.



http://cakecentral.com/t/654103/hundreds-of-tutorials-in-here

http://www.designmeacake.com/tutorials.html
Wow, this really comes in handy. I appreciate it icon_smile.gif.
post #15 of 16

..........You don't need to measure batter - it's soooooo messy :(

Each 10" round and 8" square will use one cake mix batter for each layer.

A 12" round and 10" sq uses 1 1/2 each layer

8" round *and* 6 in round uses one batter

OR three 6" rounds use one mix batter.

a 14" round and 12" sq use 2 cake mixes.........

 

Just want to clarify somthing about this post so no one misunderstands this:

 

One 10x2R OR one 8x2S pan will use the batter of one cake mix.

One 12x2R OR one  10x2S needs 1 1/2 mixes

One 8x2R *and* one 6"R uses 1 mix.

Three 6x2R use one mix

One 14x2R OR one 12x2S needs 2 mixes

One 16x2R OR 14x2S uses 3 mixes

 

It took me a long time to figure this out  when I had my bakeries:)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: How Do I?
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › How many boxes of cake mix do I need?