I have a gallon of Nielsen Royal Bourbon 2x but, sometimes I want a more powerful vanilla flavor w/o jeopardizing the consistency of the product with too much fluid. So what I did is:
(1) Bought high-grade bourbon beans from Ebay
(2) macerated the beans in food processor
(3) put the beans in a latch-top bottle or cork-top will do.
(4) poured the nielsen vanilla to nearly fill bottle. (sealed bottle)
(5) placed the bottle in a 5 qt dutch oven filled with water to cover the bottle around half way.
(6) steeped the bottle to 180*f MAX!!! and maintained that temperature for 2-3 days. Depending on the ratio of beans to flavor. You will have anywhere from 4x-7x vanilla in a few days.
VERY, VERY LOW HEAT NEEDED FOR THIS. (ONLY HOT NOT BOILING WATER!!!)
Drain the vanilla off the beans, into a sterilized bottle, preferably a screw cap, (i used Jones NY soda bottles) and store in a cool, dark place. The flavor will only get stronger as time goes by. It has really stretched my vanilla and it tastes SUPERB!!!