Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Is it safe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it safe? - Page 2

post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 

I was thinking toxic fumes and poisoning and people dying and world meltdowns....

post #17 of 25

i can be too --overly cautious-- i drive myself nuts--it's a short trip ;)

 

my husband is banned from using the phrase "over thinking" -- it's my gift  :lol: 

anytime you judge somebody and
you judge something that makes them happy 
that's your weakness speaking ~~ hilaria baldwin
Reply
anytime you judge somebody and
you judge something that makes them happy 
that's your weakness speaking ~~ hilaria baldwin
Reply
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaboo41 View Post
 

I was thinking toxic fumes and poisoning and people dying and world meltdowns....

 

 

planets colliding--i getcher vision--i'm on it!

 

i tell yah--when i have used new wet toweling around my cake pans like magic cake strips are used--dang --i'm positive i've burned up countless important brain cells breathing those fumes--omg--but the cakes were fine--go figure

 

anytime you judge somebody and
you judge something that makes them happy 
that's your weakness speaking ~~ hilaria baldwin
Reply
anytime you judge somebody and
you judge something that makes them happy 
that's your weakness speaking ~~ hilaria baldwin
Reply
post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis View Post
 

 

 

planets colliding--i getcher vision--i'm on it!

 

i tell yah--when i have used new wet toweling around my cake pans like magic cake strips are used--dang --i'm positive i've burned up countless important brain cells breathing those fumes--omg--but the cakes were fine--go figure

 


They are eating my cake as we speak, so if the universe implodes, you will know it was indeed my toxic marker that did us all in K8.

post #20 of 25

so you would be permanently marked as having brought about  world piece(s) (peace)--not a bad thing ;)

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

so all that to say--consider marking the side of your pan so you can tell which is which without unstacking them and flipping it over--

 

when you are seasoned you can tell the size by eye

 

;)

anytime you judge somebody and
you judge something that makes them happy 
that's your weakness speaking ~~ hilaria baldwin
Reply
anytime you judge somebody and
you judge something that makes them happy 
that's your weakness speaking ~~ hilaria baldwin
Reply
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis View Post
 

what i was thinking when i wrote that--was that the baked on bits and barnacles growing and burning on the insides of ovens and splattered on from broiling fish & steak in the ovens across the land is way worse than marker--

 

didn't come out right...oops

 

Ick!  This seriously made me run to go double check my oven haha.  Thankfully it's never been that bad :)

post #22 of 25

Referring to this and other crafts on Pinterest:

 

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/252131279110527216/

post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom View Post
 

Referring to this and other crafts on Pinterest:

 

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/252131279110527216/

 

wow--how cool! great gift idea huh--

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake View Post
 

 

Ick!  This seriously made me run to go double check my oven haha.  Thankfully it's never been that bad :)

 
  oh there's still time for you-- it's very easy--just ignore it  and broil a lotta fish :lol: 
anytime you judge somebody and
you judge something that makes them happy 
that's your weakness speaking ~~ hilaria baldwin
Reply
anytime you judge somebody and
you judge something that makes them happy 
that's your weakness speaking ~~ hilaria baldwin
Reply
post #24 of 25
What's likely to happen if you bake with a pan that was marked on the outside with a permanent marker? It'll probably fade. Then again, "permanent" markers being what they are, if you don't bake with the pan, it'll probably still fade. Sharpies in particular carry an "AP" certification from the Art and Creative Materials Institute, certifying them non-toxic, and so long as it's a non-food-contact surface, that should be good enough, and the degradation products, if any, are likely to be no more toxic than those of the food spills in your oven.

As far as removing it goes, well, just because ethanol never completely cooks out of food, doesn't mean that ethanol, isopropanol, acetone, and even far nastier stuff like methanol and toluene, for that matter, won't evaporate quickly and cleanly from a non-porous inorganic surface (e.g., metal, glass, glazed ceramic).

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply

James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante

Web site: http://www.hbquik.com/jamesl

Flickr "baked goods" set http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvZvdTh

Reply
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaboo41 View Post

Hi Everyone,

I stupidly marked the the bottom of my cake pan with a permanent marker because I am always forgetting the size... It's the underside and would not come in contact with the batter, but now I am afraid to put it in the oven in case it's unsafe... (Not sure if fumes would harm)

Anyone know if this is okay to use? I scrubbed most of it off with a magic eraser and it's faded quite a bit.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

If you are that concerned about the marker then get a really high numbered grit sand paper and buff it off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Is it safe?