Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › My first cake complaint! I feel so discouraged.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first cake complaint! I feel so discouraged. - Page 4

post #46 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis View Post

alternate ending--would be just awful if you had tripped on the way out & the cake splatted alll over ...

then you got it on your shoes when you accidentally stepped in it...

and had to go sit on her couch to recover from your ordeal...

rubbing as much icing into her carpet as possible...

inquiring politely about her home owners because your  back hurts

icon_lol.gif  

Hmmm, I think you have become my new favourite person on CC... I like the way you think 😈😈
post #47 of 88
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis View Post

alternate ending--would be just awful if you had tripped on the way out & the cake splatted alll over ...

then you got it on your shoes when you accidentally stepped in it...

and had to go sit on her couch to recover from your ordeal...

rubbing as much icing into her carpet as possible...

inquiring politely about her home owners because your  back hurts

icon_lol.gif 
 
Originally Posted by cakealicious7 View Post


Hmmm, I think you have become my new favourite person on CC... I like the way you think 😈😈

 

:lol:  bwoowahahahaha

one baker's 'never ever do' is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
Reply
one baker's 'never ever do' is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
Reply
post #48 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis View Post

alternate ending--would be just awful if you had tripped on the way out & the cake splatted alll over ...

then you got it on your shoes when you accidentally stepped in it...

and had to go sit on her couch to recover from your ordeal...

rubbing as much icing into her carpet as possible...

inquiring politely about her home owners because your  back hurts

icon_lol.gif  




Omg........hilarious!!!!icon_biggrin.gif
post #49 of 88

I know how you feel because is the same as me. But in my case the problem she said the cake is not good is not have flavor, and is dry. I try very hard to put everything she want in the cake and is my first cake and I feel terrible never have one trouble before. And the cake I put 2 bottle of syrup and when I go back I saw the cake and is dry I dont know what happen. I feel like you terrible sad, mad, I can not believe what happen. I have another cake and I give that to her not decorate only white fondant and they loved but I dont know what to do in that case. 

post #50 of 88

I would like to think that I would have given her her money back, taken the cake back and left..... either that or hand her her money back take the cake and drop it in the garbage just to make a point... I think that your cake looks really good..she should have been grateful...and when she she was seen eating your cake I would have taken  money out of the envelope to cover the cost of the ingredients that she is enjoying....Now I'm mad at her too!!!!!:mad:

post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake View Post
 

Just to play devil's advocate we do not know the circumstances in which the customer ordered a last minute cake. Her other baker may have called off. In my opinion it is up to the professional to know what they can and cannot deliver and to know if a cake will not look right in another medium. Cake meanies cannot force someone to take an order. It is very difficult to obtain some looks with buttercream that can be achieved with fondant. I know you (OP) have been asked a few times if you can provide a picture of the look the customer was trying to achieve.

Completely agree with this! I have customers come to me all the time for last minute cakes. If I have the ability to perform them to the best of my ability, I have no problem taking them. Just yesterday I had someone order a two tier vertical ruffle cake for tomorrow. She completely knew that it was last minute and she actually had been waiting for a response from someone (bakers-answer your emails!!). I checked my calendar and it wasn't something I couldn't handle. If you know you can't complete the request to the best of your ability, then you explain that to the customer. No one can force you to take an order. Have an unhappy person who doesn't place an order, than a customer who is upset. 

 

Granted...that customer be crazy! 

Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
  
Reply
Birthday Cakes
(6 photos)
  
Reply
post #52 of 88
I hope you are encouraged by your cake central supporters and will continue to make awesome cakes.
You did a wonderful job with short notice. I don't believe she was upset about the cake at all. I think she is a poor planner and was experiencing high stress and anxiety and you were just an excuse for her to lose it. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
post #53 of 88
Hi guys I know this is an old post but I have just signed up to cake central as I have just had my first major compliant.
This woman, I don't feel I can even call her that, asked me for a 3 tier topsy turvy cake.. I couldn't match the colours she wanted during the making process and told her that.. She said just to go ahead and decorate it so I did.
Once it was made she asked for a picture as she was excited and couldn't wait to see it so I sent her the picture on Facebook and all of a sudden she disappeared. So I messaged her asking what she thought of the cake and she wouldn't reply.. So I tried calling her and she kept cutting me off..
At this point I felt so sick because it was obvious she wasn't happy but she wouldn't talk to me or tell me so I didn't know what was going on..
I then got a text message approximately 3 hours later saying;
"I will not be collecting the cake, I wouldn't even take it to the party, you can't even compare that to what I wanted its awful and a disgrace, feed it to your dog"

I was so shocked and upset that I gave all her money back to her friend and apologised, I haven't spoken to this vile woman since, the next day she puts a picture up of the cake she suddenly had made at short notice and was then bad mouthing me on the picture of the cake.
Saying things like this cake is a 1000 times better than what the other girl (me) made.. She should have brought it out on April fools as only a fool would accept it, even the dog would turn it's nose it to it or **** it's leg...

It went on and her friends were also joining in. She didn't once mention my name on there but it's not the point. That cake took me two days from start to finish.

What a twisted rude woman I was so upset at first but now I'm angry and I rushed to her friend to refund her in full as I was worried she was going to bad mouth me over Facebook and that is where I get the majority of my orders from.

So frustrated and somehow need to let it go as it's really stressed me out.

I gave the cake to the old peoples home in the end.

I've attached the photo of the cake I made (zebra print topsy turvy) and the cake that she had made after that she seems to think was amazing..
400

400
post #54 of 88

I feel really really bad that this has happened to you and I hope that some of the experts here can help you. It sounds to me that she suddenly panicked and realised that she couldn't afford the cake and made (or got her Auntie to make) and cake that she could afford. Just a tip, I never send a photo of the cake to the customer beforehand, Especially on FB. I let them come and pick it up, because their reaction is what I want to see. And I wouldn't have rushed to give her a refund. I hope someone here can give you advise on how you should have handled this. I know you put lots hours and hours of work into this cake, and evil people like that are the reason I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the right think by making cakes for ppl. When you say you rushed to give the friend her money back, do you mean the money for the topsy turvy to give to the other customer? Or did the friend also order a cake recently and you refunded her too? Because you said a repeat customer?

post #55 of 88
Thread Starter 

First of all your cake is beautiful! It really is! Her cake doesn't compare to yours. She sounds like an evil nasty women from the way she is talking and acting. She needs to learn manners. She went overboard! I'm so so so sorry you had to experience that. You shouldn't have had that kind of evil inflicted onto you, because you don't deserve it. You gave her a topsy turvy cake and a darn good one. You made a lovely bow (I love a good fondant bow)! I know how much work & money it takes into making a cake like this, you deserve to get paid for this, but I understand that you gave her a full refund, because I did the same when my nasty customer screamed at me. It hurt me bad when my customer did that. It messed with me! I'm not gonna lie. Even after I made awesome fondant and buttercream cakes I was always paranoid. Now that the emotions have died down for me I started to get my confidence back. I didn't let her evilness stop my business. If anything I get cake orders every week and comments about how great my cakes are. Those good comments keep me going. Don't let one bad comment spoil all the good. Don't give up. You do great work! Don't let this sorry excuse for a woman get the best of you. 

post #56 of 88
I also meant to say that your cake is gorgeous!!!! Sorry. I suppose I thought that it went without saying!! icon_smile.gif. ..lol
post #57 of 88
I'm not a professional, but I think your cake is fabulous and far superior to the one she got.
post #58 of 88
Um that cake you made is beautiful. Seriously, the only critique I can possibly make, and I mean the ONLY one is that the topsy turvy shapes aren't as sharp as they could be, but that's coming from a fellow caker, the average cake customer wouldn't even notice or care.
Ok I think it's fishy that the second cake was magically " produced" last minute. It seems to me there's more to this story. Could it be that maybe a family member or friend made that cake ( probably worked all week on it) and the customer maybe knew it but ordered one from you too because she was afraid the friend/family member's wouldn't meet her standards? If she double booked a cake, then decided the free cake was good enough, that could've made her blow you off by saying your cake sucked. Me thinks she just didnt want to pay. What a C.U. Next Tuesday!
post #59 of 88
Aww thank you guys, so glad I joined this site now!
I know the top tier didn't go as topsy turvy as I wanted, the whole cake isn't as topsy turvy as I wanted..
But to go on like that she is disgusting and I really feel like calling her to defend myself, but it will clearly escalate into a massive row as you can see she is that way but I am starting up a business so I am trying to remain pro and rise above it! Extremely hard! I was so upset at first and felt so so sick, that's why when I see your comment crystalolvera60 I thought this person knows how I feel!!
At least the old people in the home thoroughly enjoyed it icon_smile.gif
post #60 of 88
This was not a good cake. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear. Instead of being topsy turvy, it looks like an amature tried a regular stacked cake.

That doesn't give anyone license to berate you on a public forum. It doesn't make it ok for her and her friends to bash you. That's mean.

Your "client" was well within her rights to decline acceptance. The cake was not what she expected. There are plenty of people who would have taken it because they had no other cake. Then, they would call Monday to talk about some kind of refund.

Please do not take another order for a topsy turvy until you have mastered the skill.

It does appear that you have some talent. The bow is good. I suggest you hone those skills as you learn and grow. Part of growing is realizing your mistakes and learning from them.

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › My first cake complaint! I feel so discouraged.