Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Your fondant recipe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your fondant recipe?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, nice to meet you.

 

I love to bake and decorate cakes but it's becoming an expensive hobby buying fondant every single time. I'd like to start making my own in the hopes of saving some money (and new skills, yay).

 

Anyone got a tried and tested fondant recipe they could share? Would be much appreciated! More specifically, I'm looking for....

 

a) very simple, no hard-to-find ingredients

b) easy to colour

c) any other tips about kneading, storing etc... I've never attempted to make my own before.

 

Thank you!

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca67e View Post
 

Hey guys, nice to meet you.

 

I love to bake and decorate cakes but it's becoming an expensive hobby buying fondant every single time. I'd like to start making my own in the hopes of saving some money (and new skills, yay).

 

Anyone got a tried and tested fondant recipe they could share? Would be much appreciated! More specifically, I'm looking for....

 

a) very simple, no hard-to-find ingredients

b) easy to colour

c) any other tips about kneading, storing etc... I've never attempted to make my own before.

 

Thank you!

Rebecca,

I use MacsMom's Buttercream Flavored Fondant and also Michele Foster's Fondant. You can find both of these recipes in the recipe section on CC. Just use the search box. Marshmallow fondant is basically marshmallows, corn syrup, Crisco, and flavoring. It's super easy to make and tastes good. You can make a lot with just a 10 oz. bag of marshmallows. The recipes will give you info on kneading, storing etc. Basically, you make it, let it sit over night, wrapped. Knead before using. Store wrapped tightly in Saran wrap and a Ziploc bag. It keeps for a very long time! Give it a try. All you have to use is a couple of bucks and a half hour of your time! Good luck.

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird View Post
 

Rebecca,

I use MacsMom's Buttercream Flavored Fondant and also Michele Foster's Fondant. You can find both of these recipes in the recipe section on CC. Just use the search box. Marshmallow fondant is basically marshmallows, corn syrup, Crisco, and flavoring. It's super easy to make and tastes good. You can make a lot with just a 10 oz. bag of marshmallows. The recipes will give you info on kneading, storing etc. Basically, you make it, let it sit over night, wrapped. Knead before using. Store wrapped tightly in Saran wrap and a Ziploc bag. It keeps for a very long time! Give it a try. All you have to use is a couple of bucks and a half hour of your time! Good luck.

 

I've been thinking of going the homemade route for some time now and I think you've inspired me to try the marshmallow recipe now. Thanks!

post #4 of 13

Marshmallow fondant is the cheapest and easiest to make :) All the best!

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks! I've been having a hard (er, confusing) time here in the UK since most recipes ask for Crisco and we don't have that. But I'm going to try find Trex as a replacement and see how that goes this afternoon with one of those recipes you posted.

post #6 of 13

From what I've read from other posters, Trex would be the same as Crisco for the most part - at least for this use. Maybe not for baking. It's basically just white fat; solid vegetable shortening. I've actually seen MMF recipes that use butter instead of shortening. Good luck. I think you'll love making fondant!

post #7 of 13
I think you guys have Flora White too which is the same thing. Basically a solid white vegetable fat, it looks like lard but isn't made with meat fat.
elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

Success! :) Well, I haven't actually used the homemade fondant on a real cake yet but it feels like a good texture compared to what I usually use. So I'm pretty excited about that.

 

Trex worked out really well.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca67e View Post
 

Thanks! I've been having a hard (er, confusing) time here in the UK since most recipes ask for Crisco and we don't have that. But I'm going to try find Trex as a replacement and see how that goes this afternoon with one of those recipes you posted.

 

I'm in the UK and I buy crisco on ebay from American Soda. Amazon sells it too.

post #10 of 13
I put marshmallows in a glass bowl, sprinkle water on them. Microwave in ten second intervals until its melted. (Usually 30 seconds total) then I mix powdered sugar with it until it's the concistancy I need. Easy peasy and taste awesome!
post #11 of 13
Large Batch Marshmallow Fondant MMF
30 oz. mini marshmallows
2 tblsp. water
1 tsp. salt
3 tblsp. extract (any flavors, clear or white preferably)
2 tblsp. glycerine
4 lbs confectioner’s sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
 
Small Batch Marshmallow Fondant MMF

15 oz. mini marshmallows
1 tblsp. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1.5 tblsp. extract (any flavors, clear or white preferably)
1 tblsp. glycerine
2 lbs  confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
Instructions:

  • Grease microwave proof bowl with shortening or butter.
  • Pour marshmallows and water into bowl.
  • Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals
  • Grease your work surface well and pour powdered sugar onto surface creating a well in the center.
  • Take marshmallow mixture out of microwave and add glycerine, salt and extracts.
  • Pour marshmallow mixture  and shortening into well. 
  • Grease your hands well with shortening or butter.
  • Mix well with hands and then knead after all ingredients are incorporated.
  • Add glycerine to thin or powdered sugar to thicken if needed
  • Place into ziplock bags. Press air out of bag and seal.
  • Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.
    www.cakesbyvicki.net
post #12 of 13
I just made Toba Garett's fondant recipe this week and it was great too, if you're looking for something else. I think you can find it online if you google.
elsewhere.
Reply
elsewhere.
Reply
post #13 of 13

I used to make my own fondant icing, but it became too much work and too expensive.  Also, every batch I would make would be a little bit different.  So I gave in and started buying readymade fondant icing.  I started with Wilton fondant from the store, but I didn't care much for it.  So eventually I started using FondX Rolled Fondant Icing and I love it.  Won't use anything else.  It is soft and easy to work with, great colors available, and great vanilla taste.  I usually buy mine from CaljavaOnline: http://caljavaonline.com/.  Hope that helps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Your fondant recipe?