Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Cake Boards? opinions? discuss :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cake Boards? opinions? discuss :) - Page 2

post #16 of 53

For me, the right cake board is like the right pair of shoes for an outfit.  It just has to "go" with the cake, or it's just wrong.

post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 View Post

I've used contrasting scrapbook paper covered with clear contact paper in a pinch. 

 

I liked this idea so much that I went out and bought some contact paper today so I can do this.  I already love it!  Looks fantastic :)

post #18 of 53
Jennicake is there a photo you can share with us?
post #19 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow View Post
I never noticed them before either, but man, it makes a huge difference. Not much $ or effort to cover a board in fondant and trim with ribbon, but it adds such a professional finish. I'll never go back, that's for sure! ;)

sixinarow,

do you just cover only the top of the board with fondant, or top & down the side of the board?

Do you still 'glue' the cake board with the cake on it, to the fondant covered board so it doesn't slip around?

What is your choice of glue for ribbon attachment?

 

I either cover cardboard with food grade paper, or buy gold/silver commercial boards & drums for dress up. But it would save some shopping/money to use fondant.

* (I guess my steel-toed leather high-top boots keep me out of the running with the shoe analogy.)

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
post #20 of 53

I'm a hobby baker-  I use a 16" board that came with my kitchen floor tiles, kinda like Masonite.  I usually cover it with a piece from a plastic table cloth, in a color that complements the cake.  Nothing fancy, but I don't like the foil for some cakes.

 

(Cake inspired by Buttercream Fantasies)

Linda
Reply
Linda
Reply
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska View Post

Quote:

sixinarow,

do you just cover only the top of the board with fondant, or top & down the side of the board?

Do you still 'glue' the cake board with the cake on it, to the fondant covered board so it doesn't slip around?

What is your choice of glue for ribbon attachment?

 

I either cover cardboard with food grade paper, or buy gold/silver commercial boards & drums for dress up. But it would save some shopping/money to use fondant.

* (I guess my steel-toed leather high-top boots keep me out of the running with the shoe analogy.)

I rub the cake board with a little shortening, cover with fondant and smooth. Cut any overhang off the sides and let dry a day or two.

 

After it's dry, add the ribbon around the edge -- I use hot glue to attach the ribbon..it's not touching any part of the board above, just the ribbon and the edge of the board. I know some people use double stick tape, or glue sticks but I like that the hot glue really cements it on there and I don't worry about it coming off easily and no one is going to get that sucker off there to "accidentally" eat.

 

Then, I attach the cake to the fondant-covered board with buttercream so it won't slide.

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #22 of 53

I started out with cardboard cake circles covered with fondant and wondered how to finish the thin little edge. Then I discovered foam core and took off from there. To use the shoe analogy, I occasionally get the shoes and then have to find the outfit to go with them. The board becomes an integral part of the whole and once in a while, I like the board even better.

 

When making a board, I first hot glue three or four doll pin stands, (found at Michael's) to the underside. This allows for ease of pick up. I don't use shortening like sixinarow--I just lightly spritz with water-- but from there I do the same. I do wait a few days, though, to let the fondant harden thoroughly before I handle it to attach the ribbon. I don't want finger impressions to mar all that work.

 

If I don't use fondant, I'll use wrapping paper, or contact paper, etc. Since I have become aware of the importance of decorated boards I am always keeping an eye out for different ideas. All my cakes are on boards so they don't come in contact with the decorated board. I'll enclose a pic of my all time favorite I made last fall for an Autumn-themed cake. We happened to have a spectacularly gorgeous fall and the leaves colored unbelievably. I dried a number of them from my yard in my microwave leaf press and decorated the board with them. I covered it with Press 'n' Seal and almost hesitated to place  the cake on it!

 

<a href="http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2852466/this-autumns-leaves-were-spectacular-i-made-the-cake-board-from-those-collected-from-my-yard-and-dried-in-a-microwave-flower-press-i-covered-a-foam-core-board-with-metallic-gold-tissue-paper-and-fixed-the-leaves-down-with-spray-adhesive-and-food/u/700117/flat/1/"><img src="http://cakecentral.com/image/id/4562665/width/400/flags/LL"></a>

 

<a href="http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2850699/another-aspect-of-benefit-cake-to-show-different-leaves/u/700117/flat/1/"><img src="http://cakecentral.com/image/id/4446295/width/400/flags/LL"></a>

 

So, in answer to the original question, I think the board is an essential part of the presentation. I like the comment earlier that it is like dressing up then wearing flip flops.

 

Jan

If you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.
Reply
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.
Reply
post #23 of 53
Thanks for the detailed instructions. the cakes boards noted in this thread are all cool. so many new things to do.
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(1 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillylily View Post

Jennicake is there a photo you can share with us?

There sure is icon_smile.gif. The paper is lightly patterned but it doesn't show in the picture unfortunately
post #25 of 53

I can't figure out how to edit my post-  the inspirational science cake is by Cassiopée Designs.  Buttercreamfantasies is her user name on another site.

Linda
Reply
Linda
Reply
post #26 of 53

I started with plain cardboard, then tin foil...now I have been using embossed floral foil from my local cake store (the same stuff they put on the silver cake drums) I think it looks pretty but definitely not that wow factor like Jennicakes just posted. Maybe it's time for another change....

post #27 of 53
Thanks for the foto jennicake. I now have ideas with my cakeboard dilemma.
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42 View Post

I started out with cardboard cake circles covered with fondant and wondered how to finish the thin little edge. Then I discovered foam core and took off from there. To use the shoe analogy, I occasionally get the shoes and then have to find the outfit to go with them. The board becomes an integral part of the whole and once in a while, I like the board even better.

When making a board, I first hot glue three or four doll pin stands, (found at Michael's) to the underside. This allows for ease of pick up. I don't use shortening like sixinarow--I just lightly spritz with water-- but from there I do the same. I do wait a few days, though, to let the fondant harden thoroughly before I handle it to attach the ribbon. I don't want finger impressions to mar all that work.

If I don't use fondant, I'll use wrapping paper, or contact paper, etc. Since I have become aware of the importance of decorated boards I am always keeping an eye out for different ideas. All my cakes are on boards so they don't come in contact with the decorated board. I'll enclose a pic of my all time favorite I made last fall for an Autumn-themed cake. We happened to have a spectacularly gorgeous fall and the leaves colored unbelievably. I dried a number of them from my yard in my microwave leaf press and decorated the board with them. I covered it with Press 'n' Seal and almost hesitated to place  the cake on it!

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2852466/this-autumns-leaves-were-spectacular-i-made-the-cake-board-from-those-collected-from-my-yard-and-dried-in-a-microwave-flower-press-i-covered-a-foam-core-board-with-metallic-gold-tissue-paper-and-fixed-the-leaves-down-with-spray-adhesive-and-food/u/700117/flat/1/">%3Ca%20href=http://cakecentral.com/image/id/4562665/width/400/flags/LL">

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2850699/another-aspect-of-benefit-cake-to-show-different-leaves/u/700117/flat/1/">%3Ca%20href=http://cakecentral.com/image/id/4446295/width/400/flags/LL">

So, in answer to the original question, I think the board is an essential part of the presentation. I like the comment earlier that it is like dressing up then wearing flip flops.

Jan
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot View Post

For me, the right cake board is like the right pair of shoes for an outfit.  It just has to "go" with the cake, or it's just wrong.

thumbs_up.gif

 

So sad when you see a beautiful cake *plonked* on a bare cake board.

post #30 of 53

I can not stand seeing a beautifully executed cake on a bare board... I see it as something that separates the hobby bakers from the professionals. When I was a hobby baker I didn't see any point and didn't see why you would, but it adds that extra depth to a cake and makes it look complete. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Cake Boards? opinions? discuss :)