Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Someone copying one of your original cake designs - how do you feel?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Someone copying one of your original cake designs - how do you feel? - Page 2

post #16 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Art_Cakery View Post


Wouldn't it offend some of you, even a little bit, if you rolled up to see your work exactly copied and someone else getting paid for it?

 

Inspiration is one thing....wholesale copying and stealing one's idea is another

 

I hear all of you saying that the copying of cakes happens all the time and you can't copyright a cake but here's something to think about......

 

Comedians can't copyright a joke but if you steal another comedians joke and pass it off as your own.....your in a world of sh*t and everyone knows that you suck.

 

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it or that it's right to do it.....

 

Be very glad it wasn't better than yours!  lol

 

It is VERY insensitive of your sister and Tammy (if I was Tammy I would have been mortified to see you there)!  I am sure I would be hurt, but ripping her cake apart in the back of my head would make me feel a little better. 

 

You could always talk to Tammy and thank her for filling in for you.  A little "was that one of your first cakes?  I can really see some potential there, let me know if you'd like some professional advice.  I could give you tips on how to clean up that design a little since it was mine."  Sorry...to facetious??  lol

 

I would have a convo with your sister and tell her in your most sincere, albeit sarcastic tone, that you are so happy that she found Tammy to create a cake for her.  Then the next time she orders, ask her the amount of servings she needs.  Then the date.  "Oh I am so sorry sis, I already have an order for that day and since they are paying me so much for all the detail that they want, I won't have time to take on a second order."  That way she knows that there are people who WILL pay for you and that she is a dispensable client, not you being the dispensable talent!  Whether you have an actual order doesn't matter!

 

She needed a cake, so she had to order it from someone. I am sure she appreciated Tammy's time and "talent" more than she did yours anyway.  You know why?  She got what she wanted to pay for...a cheap and poorly executed cake.   It was probably cheaper than what you would charge and your sister is clearly OK with that...making your talents unimportant to her. 

 

She got what she wanted and probably thinks she is really sticking it to you in her smugness.  Although it hurts, you really should be relieved.  Now you can focus your talents on appreciative customers who are more than willing to pay your worth!

 

Boy, I sound like a mean person in this post....totally not but you are getting rolled over here!  Good luck and let us know how this all turns out!

Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
post #17 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Art_Cakery View Post

I didn't do something about it right then for 2 reasons....

 

1.) It was my niece's graduation party and it probably would have started a scene.....my sister would have gotten involved and her throwing punches is not an unknown thing...lol  There is no love lost between her and I...I was there for my niece.

 

2.) I'm a 6' tall 250lb retired Cop and she's all of 5'2 and I was PISSED....it was better that I walked away

.

 

Nuff said!

Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
Aah, cake. . .the 5th food group!!
Reply
post #18 of 97
Odds are, your sister showed the Baker pictures of what she wanted. The Baker was just doing what was asked of her. She may or may not have known where the inspiration came from. There's nothing you can do about it so why get angry? But if you insist on being angry, make sure your anger is directed in the right direction.

In sticky situations in life my philosophy is this:
You can laugh or cry; may as well laugh.
post #19 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Art_Cakery View Post

I didn't do something about it right then for 2 reasons....

 

1.) It was my niece's graduation party and it probably would have started a scene.....my sister would have gotten involved and her throwing punches is not an unknown thing...lol  There is no love lost between her and I...I was there for my niece.

 

2.) I'm a 6' tall 250lb retired Cop and she's all of 5'2 and I was PISSED....it was better that I walked away

.

 

makes sense..good idea.

 

but on the positive side..her's didn't look better than yours. And honestly most of the "ooohs" and "ahhhs" can't all be taken seriously...I find a lot of people say mediocre work is "amazing" when it's not really, and they're just being nice.

post #20 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi View Post

Odds are, your sister showed the Baker pictures of what she wanted. The Baker was just doing what was asked of her. She may or may not have known where the inspiration came from. There's nothing you can do about it so why get angry? But if you insist on being angry, make sure your anger is directed in the right direction.

In sticky situations in life my philosophy is this:
You can laugh or cry; may as well laugh.

 

I wouldn't call her a baker....she's self-taught (no training) and it shows....lol

 

I already know that my sister showed her photos of my cakes and that's why Tammy copied them. Tammy also damn well knew that they pics were of my cakes and she knew I'd be at the party.

 

At this point, I'm just like whatever....

 

First and foremost, I would not steal another cake artists original idea....would I use their cake as an inspiration? Of course but I would build onto it, change it up and definitely make it my own.

 

Regardless of what anyone says, you cannot convince me it's ok to exactly copy another persons cake idea....it's stealing and shows you have no creativity of your own....and for people on here who says it's ok to do this, I have to wonder about your morals and creativity.

"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
post #21 of 97

"Regardless of what anyone says, you cannot convince me it's ok to exactly copy another persons cake idea....it's stealing and shows you have no creativity of your own....and for people on here who says it's ok to do this, I have to wonder about your morals and creativity"

 

You ask and then you don't like the answers so you question peoples integrity and talent? Wow.....

post #22 of 97
There are plenty of self taught bakers. You can still be a Baker without formal training. It seems that you're talking cheap shots at tammy because you're angry(I'm guilty of taking cheap shots at someone I was angry at; I think we've all done it). Tammy was just doing what she was paid to do.
post #23 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake View Post

"Regardless of what anyone says, you cannot convince me it's ok to exactly copy another persons cake idea....it's stealing and shows you have no creativity of your own....and for people on here who says it's ok to do this, I have to wonder about your morals and creativity"

 

You ask and then you don't like the answers so you question peoples integrity and talent? Wow.....


Your exactly right....I am questioning the integrity of anyone who says it's ok to steal anothers' idea or design verbatim..... You do know that the word STEAL refers to illegal and morally wrongs acts, right?

 

AGAIN, inspiration is one thing....stealing someones' idea outright is morally wrong.....

"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
post #24 of 97
Hmm we try to give you advise and perspective and you questions our creativity and morals?? Now who is not playing nice ??

 

Quote:
Regardless of what anyone says, you cannot convince me it's ok to exactly copy another persons cake idea....it's stealing and shows you have no creativity of your own....and for people on here who says it's ok to do this, I have to wonder about your morals and creativity.

 

you have obviously not dealt with some of the brides I deal with every day. They bring a picture and they want that replicated. that is their vision for their cake and Im not going to say " GO AWAY, Im not copying that cake" :) in any case if you search long enough there will be several very similar versions of your unique design. Everything has been done before and it is very difficult to do something totally different in cake. As for your artist analogy, yes, anyone can go and copy a master painting, what you cant do is sign the masters name to the picture, but recreate it, totally moral :) Same with cake LOL
post #25 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar_Art_Cakery View Post
I

Regardless of what anyone says, you cannot convince me it's ok to exactly copy another persons cake idea....it's stealing and shows you have no creativity of your own....and for people on here who says it's ok to do this, I have to wonder about your morals and creativity.

 

You can be mad at your sister and her friend, that's normal. Angry that someone did a replica of your cake, okay. But you did not invent the " film reel " cake style.

 

http://www.google.ca/search?q=film+cake&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YnnVUeajDdWl4AO7v4DYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=909#rls=com.microsoft:en-US%3AIE-Address&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=film+cake&oq=film+cake&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.10030.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..19.img.gDMqFDIiC-E&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=b09b96b39a22c7bc&biw=1920&bih=909&imgdii=_

 

OR the " paint pallet " cake style.

 

http://www.google.ca/search?q=painter+tool&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kXrVUbeQEbeu4AOBq4HYCg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=909#rls=com.microsoft:en-US%3AIE-Address&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=paint+pallet+cake&oq=paint+pallet+cake&gs_l=img.3..0i10l3j0i5i10.13468.17423.2.17520.17.17.0.0.0.0.120.1247.16j1.17.0....0...1c.1.19.img.Q_oJMbkRUZQ&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg&fp=b09b96b39a22c7bc&biw=1920&bih=909&imgdii=_

 

 

You can't be mad because someone made a cake that had both themes into 1.  Just be happy " the cake looked like crap, tasted even worse ". Talk to your sister. Staying angry will bring you nothing. My first post answered some of your other questions.

 

I'm now moving along that way  - - - - - >

 

Edit for link.

post #26 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakechick123 View Post

Hmm we try to give you advise and perspective and you questions our creativity and morals?? Now who is not playing nice ??

 

 

you have obviously not dealt with some of the brides I deal with every day. They bring a picture and they want that replicated. that is their vision for their cake and Im not going to say " GO AWAY, Im not copying that cake" :) in any case if you search long enough there will be several very similar versions of your unique design. Everything has been done before and it is very difficult to do something totally different in cake.As for your artist analogy, yes, anyone can go and copy a master painting, what you cant do is sign the masters name to the picture, but recreate it, totally moral :) Same with cake LOL

Obviously, I have dealt with brides of the same caliber as you have dealt with. When they bring me a photo of a cake they want replicated, here's what I tell them..."I won't copy that cake exactly the way it is. I will do something similar and I will make it better. One, because I don't agree with copying the work of another person and two, why would you want the same EXACT cake that another bride had? Don't you want something completely new and unique to YOUR wedding?"....and you know what, I lose maybe 5% of prospective brides that way but the other 95% understand and completely love my reasoning.... No need to compromise my morals just to satisfy the needs of some brides...

"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
post #27 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Art_Cakery View Post

 

I wouldn't call her a baker....she's self-taught (no training) and it shows....lol

 

 

I'm self-taught with no training...guess I'm not a baker either. icon_sad.gif

I'm a little confused about the anger towards the other "baker".. I would be horribly hurt if my sister did this to me. I'm sorry that you had to go through it, probably makes it even harder because it was family. I'm glad you had the self-control to remain above the emotions for your niece until you could vent after wards. I know you're venting and frustrated, but you're saying some pretty inflammatory things here...you might not like some of the responses you are going to get! 

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Punctuation saves lives.
Reply
post #28 of 97
To start, those sound like amazing cakes! Yours anyways! Also, your sister probably was happy that she could get a cake in time. I am not encouraging her or the lady that made the copy-cake. I remember that I was always happy when my birthday cake was done. Then if it wasn't the best looking I would not love it as much later. Ask her once the excitement has cooled down. Then talk to the cake copier! Your sister will ask you again!
Quote:
 Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. -Proverbs 4:23
Reply
Quote:
 Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. -Proverbs 4:23
Reply
post #29 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro View Post

Quote:

 

You can be mad at your sister and her friend, that's normal. Angry that someone did a replica of your cake, okay. But you did not invent the " film reel " cake style.

 

http://www.google.ca/search?q=film+cake&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YnnVUeajDdWl4AO7v4DYCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=909#rls=com.microsoft:en-US%3AIE-Address&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=film+cake&oq=film+cake&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.10030.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..19.img.gDMqFDIiC-E&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=b09b96b39a22c7bc&biw=1920&bih=909&imgdii=_

 

OR the " paint pallet " cake style.

 

http://www.google.ca/search?q=painter+tool&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kXrVUbeQEbeu4AOBq4HYCg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=909#rls=com.microsoft:en-US%3AIE-Address&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=paint+pallet+cake&oq=paint+pallet+cake&gs_l=img.3..0i10l3j0i5i10.13468.17423.2.17520.17.17.0.0.0.0.120.1247.16j1.17.0....0...1c.1.19.img.Q_oJMbkRUZQ&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dmg&fp=b09b96b39a22c7bc&biw=1920&bih=909&imgdii=_

 

 

You can't be mad because someone made a cake that had both themes into 1.  Just be happy " the cake looked like crap, tasted even worse ". Talk to your sister. Staying angry will bring you nothing. My first post answered some of your other questions.

 

I'm now moving along that way  - - - - - >

 

Edit for link.

 

Okay...let me make this clear....I'm not mad because she incorporated similar themes into her cake. She COPIED my cakes.... everything was placed in exactly the same position as my cakes...you could lay a photo of my cake over hers and everything is exactly the same except her execution sucked.

 

This has nothing to do with themes or inspiration.....she copied my design EXACTLY and then passed it off as her OWN with me standing there! What is not clear about that? She was offered business at this party based on my design....there were a lot of people there who have never seen any of my work and didn't realize this cake was a utter rip-off of my design.

 

I don't care of inspiring someone with my cake or particular design but don't copy my work exactly and then pass it off as your own in order to profit....especially when I'm right there and your arrogant enough to believe I'll take it lying down.

"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
post #30 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow View Post

I'm self-taught with no training...guess I'm not a baker either. icon_sad.gif

I'm a little confused about the anger towards the other "baker".. I would be horribly hurt if my sister did this to me. I'm sorry that you had to go through it, probably makes it even harder because it was family. I'm glad you had the self-control to remain above the emotions for your niece until you could vent after wards. I know you're venting and frustrated, but you're saying some pretty inflammatory things here...you might not like some of the responses you are going to get! 


I apologize for the baker comment....wasn't my intention to put down anyone without professional training. I think I was referring more to her particular circumstance where she has no training whatsoever and her cakes absolutely look homemade yet she passes herself off as a professional baker and decorator.

 

Wasn't meant to offend anyone else and please accept my apologies.

"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
"This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."

"C'mon....we're talking about cake here, not murder....lol....can we get back to the cake?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Someone copying one of your original cake designs - how do you feel?