Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › At home bakers- do you do cake testing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

At home bakers- do you do cake testing? - Page 3

post #31 of 76
No, they don't want an individual appointment - they think they're ENTITLED to one.
post #32 of 76
Perhaps I look at this incorrectly. Go me, it's not a tasting! Yes, they get samples but that's icing on my cake. For me, it's a consultation!

This is my opportunity to introduce myself, get to know the clients a bit, & design a cake. It's a time to sell myself.

Very rarely do I make to go sample boxes. These ate reserved for clients using trusted planners or those who have already chosen me. No time for me? No time for my cake!

There are several restaurants in town I would like to try. I'd be dropping at least $100 to eat there. Still, they don't offer samples.

Bottom line, samples cost. They can be an investment. My preference is an intimate consultation lasting about an hour to an hour and a half & includes about 8 flavors.

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #33 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot View Post

No, they don't want an individual appointment - they think they're ENTITLED to one.

exactly...Because it's their special day, and they want attention.

post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot View Post

No, they don't want an individual appointment - they think they're ENTITLED to one.

So true...along with the cake of their dreams even if it doesn't fit the budget.

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts View Post

Perhaps I look at this incorrectly. Go me, it's not a tasting! Yes, they get samples but that's icing on my cake. For me, it's a consultation! Agreed, I never call these meetings "tastings", they are "consultations" icon_smile.gif


Very rarely do I make to go sample boxes. These ate reserved for clients using trusted planners or those who have already chosen me. No time for me? No time for my cake!I make them because I usually hold my consults in a public place. The reason is two-fold--hesitant to bring strangers into my home & my HOA doesn't allow "traffic" due to a home-based business (whole other topic, there).


There are several restaurants in town I would like to try. I'd be dropping at least $100 to eat there. Still, they don't offer samples. Excellent point. I never thought of that.

 

Edited to add that most caterers and venues here will do tastings for weddings, even the restaurants.


Edited by Elcee - 7/8/13 at 4:20pm
post #36 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts View Post

Perhaps I look at this incorrectly. Go me, it's not a tasting! Yes, they get samples but that's icing on my cake. For me, it's a consultation!

This is my opportunity to introduce myself, get to know the clients a bit, & design a cake. It's a time to sell myself.

Very rarely do I make to go sample boxes. These ate reserved for clients using trusted planners or those who have already chosen me. No time for me? No time for my cake!

There are several restaurants in town I would like to try. I'd be dropping at least $100 to eat there. Still, they don't offer samples.

Bottom line, samples cost. They can be an investment. My preference is an intimate consultation lasting about an hour to an hour and a half & includes about 8 flavors.

Same here, I refer to them as a consult with a tasting.  Generally it will take anywhere from 45 min. - 1.5hrs.  It is the chance for us to get to know each other and see that we are a good fit and to sell my services to them.  I meet the client at a local Starbucks (have 4 boys and also don't feel comfortable bringing complete strangers into my home).  I have only done 1 to-go tasting, and that was for a bride who had already booked and paid her deposit.  

post #37 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse View Post

 I meet the client at a local Starbucks (have 4 boys and also don't feel comfortable bringing complete strangers into my home).  I have only done 1 to-go tasting, and that was for a bride who had already booked and paid her deposit.  

FullHouse, do your clients taste AT Starbucks? I just assumed that was a no-no which is why I have the consult and then send them on their way with their box.

post #38 of 76

Elcee,

 

I heart you.  I really do.

 

I'm with you.  I think it's rude to have clients taste my Delicious Desserts in a place that sells....dessert.

 

And, you are correct.  Most of the caterers in town offer a sample of their menu.  They have a minimum guest count or charge for those tastings.  Also, you get what they feel like making.  They don't take special requests!

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #39 of 76

I purchase beverages during the meeting and I bring the cake samples in a box, generally the clients do take the box home.  If they do choose to open it and eat the samples there, I don't stop them and I don't think that Starbucks cares, it is for a business meeting, not because I am bringing cake to avoid purchasing from them.  Though 99% of the time the client takes the box home. 

 

When I refer to a "to-go" tasting, I mean that they would just stop by to pick up the box and skip the meeting/consult.

post #40 of 76

If I didn't do samples I wouldn't book one cake, because people in this area expect that.  I'd love to not have to do it, but then again I'd love to not have to do any appointments at all!

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse View Post

I purchase beverages during the meeting and I bring the cake samples in a box, generally the clients do take the box home.  If they do choose to open it and eat the samples there, I don't stop them and I don't think that Starbucks cares, it is for a business meeting, not because I am bringing cake to avoid purchasing from them.  Though 99% of the time the client takes the box home. 

 

When I refer to a "to-go" tasting, I mean that they would just stop by to pick up the box and skip the meeting/consult.

Oh, so we're really talking about the same thing...I just call mine a to go box from the get-go.

post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts View Post

Elcee,

 

I heart you.  I really do.

 

I'm with you.  I think it's rude to have clients taste my Delicious Desserts in a place that sells....dessert.

 

And, you are correct.  Most of the caterers in town offer a sample of their menu.  They have a minimum guest count or charge for those tastings.  Also, you get what they feel like making.  They don't take special requests!

icon_wink.gif Especially since our desserts are SO much better than anything available at Starbucks!

post #43 of 76
Exactly!

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee View Post

OK, I just found this on my Facebook page. I've been focusing on networking with other wedding professionals in my area. As part of that, whenever I do a tasting I put together an extra box to give to a planner, photographer, etc. Well, the photographer I hit up yesterday wrote the nicest blog post about (and took amazing pictures of) one of my tasting-to-go boxes!

 

You can easily see how I package the boxes. The cake samples are 3" rounds. I can cut 4 of them from an 8". The buttercreams are in 1.5 ounce jello shot cups. I make it into a sweetheart box by adding 2 napkins and 2 little plastic forks.

 

http://meganhardrephotography.com/cake/


Elcee, your sample box looks beautiful. Question: How tall are your 3" rounds. It's hard to tell from the photo.

post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie789 View Post


Elcee, your sample box looks beautiful. Question: How tall are your 3" rounds. It's hard to tell from the photo.

Thanks! They're just under 2" high; cut from a single layer, not torted.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › At home bakers- do you do cake testing?