Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › I've been left holding 130+ flowers!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I've been left holding 130+ flowers!!!

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

I feel so angry, hurt and stupid right now!  Totally mad at me!

I had a lady call me last month asking me to make the gp flowers for her wedding cake. I should have seen the red flags, but that aside, I didn't get payment up front.  That is totally my fault.  I am so busy right now, with teaching, bridal consults and orders....and a tiny bit of a life rushing by me....I just worked and didn't realize I didn't have payment.  

She is making her own wedding cake which is a giant cupcake on top of a stand holding 54 cupcakes. She asked me to make a black calla lilly spray (like on GSA) and 80+ assorted black and white daisies.  

She tried to send me a link to what she wanted through Facebook, so she added me as a friend.  When the flowers were finished (three days earlier than promised) I sent her a message on fb, it showed "Seen @ ??:??" but she didn't reply.  On friday I tried calling her and got a machine and explained that her flowers were ready and to call me to arrange pick up.  On sunday I sent her a fb message asking if everything was okay since I hadn't heard from her and asking if she still wanted them, to please just let me know if she didn't.  Finally monday evening I told her that they were at the store, directions and store hours.  I figure if there's ANY chance she actually wants them she has a week to get them...but I'm done trying to contact her.  Her wedding is in two days.  

I just needed to vent.  I know I screwed up, but why do people need to be so cruel?  Isn't it bad enough to ask me to make them and then not want them?  To not cancel?  But then at least have the balls to tell me you don't want them!  Ugh.....it's been awhile since anything like this has happened, I don't think I will forget to check on payment again.  icon_confused.gif

post #2 of 37

So sorry this happened to you... Is there any way that you could use them for something else so it is not an entire loss??

post #3 of 37
Assuming you sent her an invoice or contract, you can let her know that her payment is due. If you still don't hear back, contact her again (by phone, don't conduct business via FB messages) and set a deadline after which you will be forced to hire a collection agency to collect her unpaid balance, regardless of whether or not she picks up the order. An in-person visit to her home might help speed things along if it's convenient.
post #4 of 37
Thread Starter 

Jason, are you for hire?  ;)  LOL, I'd really enjoy having you around!  I think I was too busy to take this order.  I had time to create the flowers, but I didn't take the time to do the business of the order.  I made notes while I was on the phone with her and then made the flowers.  Period.  It's a very busy time and I just didn't pay attention like I should have.  She was referred by someone I trust and although that means nothing, somehow it did at that moment.  Now the someone I trust feels terrible too.  Ugh!  I'll just sell them at the store.  Surely someone will need black flowers???  LOL

post #5 of 37

It's just the way people are evolving, I'm afraid. It's useless for us to wonder and take it to heart. Unfortunately, a lot of people are just selfish and self centered, but they don't realize it. So I make policies, and refuse to do work without payment, and leave emotion out of it. I don't allow the hurt to happen. So...next time, eh? Don't feel bad. Sock 'em away in storage for someone who will THROW their money at you for them. Forget this dodo head.

*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

Assuming you sent her an invoice or contract, you can let her know that her payment is due. If you still don't hear back, contact her again (by phone, don't conduct business via FB messages) and set a deadline after which you will be forced to hire a collection agency to collect her unpaid balance, regardless of whether or not she picks up the order. An in-person visit to her home might help speed things along if it's convenient.

Sorry, but this person is absolutely not held liable for payment. I'd be spitting pissed and want to MAKE her pay, but who held her to her end of the bargain? No one. Unless there is a contract that hasn't been mentioned.

*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #7 of 37
If I were you, I'd be swinging by her house on my way home from work and shoving those flowers up her @$$ (sideways, even).
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot View Post

If I were you, I'd be swinging by her house on my way home from work and shoving those flowers up her @$$ (sideways, even).

 

 

I love this!  Seriously, though, you have a stock of beautiful black and white flowers which are oh so popular right now.  You shouldn't have any trouble selling them or you can save them for a future cake when you just don't have time to make the flowers.  I understand your frustration; unfortunately, our learning experiences are rarely fun.

post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMona View Post

... I think I was too busy to take this order.  I had time to create the flowers, but I didn't take the time to do the business of the order.  I made notes while I was on the phone with her and then made the flowers.  Period.  It's a very busy time and I just didn't pay attention like I should have.  She was referred by someone I trust and although that means nothing, somehow it did at that moment.  Now the someone I trust feels terrible too.  Ugh!  I'll just sell them at the store.  Surely someone will need black flowers???  LOL

 

Once you are through venting (which may take a while, lol), look at this from a different perspective:  It was a valuable lesson which you won't soon forget.  Once you've been "used", it really kicks the "business side" of your brain into high gear.  Fortunately, you are left with product that does have the potential for eventual sale.  Sounds like you are mostly mad at yourself for doing this without "paying attention like I should have".  So....give yourself a scolding, and then let it go.   Make a Goth cake for display or a charitable fundraiser.  Hold them until you have a Halloween wedding.  Make a black and white cake.  (((Hugs)))) and have a positive, upbeat, happy day today!

post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Sorry, but this person is absolutely not held liable for payment. I'd be spitting pissed and want to MAKE her pay, but who held her to her end of the bargain? No one. Unless there is a contract that hasn't been mentioned.
Correct, if OP did not send an invoice or contract when the order was placed there's not much she can do about it.
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMona View Post
...but I'm done trying to contact her.  Her wedding is in two days. 

Wait until she contacts you -- she still has 2 days.

post #12 of 37
Alternatively, you can show up at the wedding venue with the flowers and a payable invoice in hand.
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft View Post

Alternatively, you can show up at the wedding venue with the flowers and a payable invoice in hand.

That sounds awesome too!icon_twisted.gif

*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #14 of 37
Thread Starter 

I honestly had thought about that too! I want to know what the cake looks like anyway!  I would love to show up at the wedding. :)  But, I won't.  I know it's my oversight and I'll put my big girl panties on and not soon forget the lesson.  And no, there was no contract, it was just a quick phone call, referral from a good friend and I didn't think beyond that.  I was super busy when she called, blah, blah, blah.  I've come down with shingles night before last so I am a mess anyway....in pain and all that junk.  I'm sure that's not helping me cope with being stood up.  And I don't care who does it to you or how old you get to be, being stood up hurts!  I've given myself permission to be hurt....I'm tired of putting on the smile and being professional all the time!  I'm hurt!  icon_sad.gif  It's getting better though.  You know how it is...they call and you are so super awesome and they don't want anything but your work and then this mess.  ugh!  

post #15 of 37
Thread Starter 

Oh, and I need to add, thank you  No matter what I messed up and learned, the point was to get it off my chest and share with understand people....y'all made me feel better!  The sideways comment made me LOL, as did the showing up at her wedding and hunting her down.  icon_cry.gif  Thanks so much!!!!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › I've been left holding 130+ flowers!!!