Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Friday Night Cake Club for 4/26/13
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Friday Night Cake Club for 4/26/13

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, show off photos of what they have made, ask any questions they may have or answer any questions they can.

 

Hope to see lots of photos tonight!

 

Cat

post #2 of 33
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone!

 

I'm back from a week away at a destination wedding. I'm currently working on a small Princess cake for Icing Smiles. If you have not heard of this organization before it's a group that organizes free cakes for kids undergoing treatment for or recovering from cancer. The one I am making a cake for is a 5 year old little girl who is celebrating her going home day..she is in remission now and gets to go home, finally, on Monday. She loves Princesses and she loves Pink so I'm working on a 6 and 4 for her small party on Monday.

 

My son also turns 12 on Sunday so I'm making a Minecraft cake. I will finish one cake tonight and the other tomorrow and will try to make it back on here with photos. 

 

I am heading out on vacation for two weeks with my Mom to Sicily on the 1st. I am hopeful, since they have WiFi at all of the hotels to be able to get back on here the next two Fridays but the time difference is 9 hours so my normal 7:45pm would be about 4:45am in Italy. So would it be better to start it 5 hours earlier PST (so about 2:45pm) or 3 hours later (so about 11:45 pm) ???? For me it would be 10:45 pm or 7:45 am. OR can someone take it over for the next two weeks??? OR I can just drop it for two weeks and catch up when I get back? Please do weigh in on what you think would be the best thing to do?

 

Thanx!

Cat

post #3 of 33

Just finished another Ariel cake, but this one had an Ariel doll I purchased on Amazon on top, instead of being a bc transfer

.  You are so noble to make a cake for Icing Smiles.  Within the next year my goal is to have a fundraiser for them.  Making cakes for sick children is happy/sad. 

Have a fabulous time in Sicily.  I am so jealous!   If you can't find someone to cover, I would say take the time off from Friday night cake club.

post #4 of 33

I can't wait to see your cakes, Cat! When I did an Icing Smiles cake it was a Spiderman cake. Not my usual aesthetic at all LOL!

 

I'm not caking at all this weekend. I'm kind of frustrated...I did a bridal show a couple of weeks ago and booked 5 consults from it. I was so excited. Then the first one cancelled (the night before). The 2nd didn't show up, no call, no text, no email, no response to my email, text or call, she left me sitting at Panera with all my cake stuff. The 3rd also cancelled but at least with a few days notice. Number 4 has yet to resond to my confirmation email so I'm pretty unsure of her but I'll keep high hopes for #5 next weekend!

 

On the plus side, I did spring cleaning in my cake room and it's sparkling and organized for what's next.

 

Cat, even though I don't participate every week I'll be happy to take over the club for you while you're on vacation if you want.

post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper View Post

Hi everyone!

 

I'm back from a week away at a destination wedding. I'm currently working on a small Princess cake for Icing Smiles. If you have not heard of this organization before it's a group that organizes free cakes for kids undergoing treatment for or recovering from cancer. The one I am making a cake for is a 5 year old little girl who is celebrating her going home day..she is in remission now and gets to go home, finally, on Monday. She loves Princesses and she loves Pink so I'm working on a 6 and 4 for her small party on Monday.

 

My son also turns 12 on Sunday so I'm making a Minecraft cake. I will finish one cake tonight and the other tomorrow and will try to make it back on here with photos. 

 

I am heading out on vacation for two weeks with my Mom to Sicily on the 1st. I am hopeful, since they have WiFi at all of the hotels to be able to get back on here the next two Fridays but the time difference is 9 hours so my normal 7:45pm would be about 4:45am in Italy. So would it be better to start it 5 hours earlier PST (so about 2:45pm) or 3 hours later (so about 11:45 pm) ???? For me it would be 10:45 pm or 7:45 am. OR can someone take it over for the next two weeks??? OR I can just drop it for two weeks and catch up when I get back? Please do weigh in on what you think would be the best thing to do?

 

Thanx!

Cat


IcingSmiles sounds like an amazing organization!  That is a great thing that you are doing! 

 

I just finished a Minecraft cake last month--had over 6,000 tiny little squares!!! Good luck on yours! =-)

Bottom layer is Chocolate Almond Cake with dark chocolate ganache, top layer Strawberry Swirl with strawberry buttercream. All figures made out of fondant. # 10 half fondant half tylose powder.

 

 

I would be happy to start the club while you are away.....I'm usually on here anyway posting at this time.  =-)

 

I just finished a small over the hill cake for a dear friend.  She is a chocoholic so I made the Hershey's chocolate cake, added in Chocolate chips.  Torted and iced with Ghirdelli Chocolate Ganache!  YUM!

post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee View Post

 

On the plus side, I did spring cleaning in my cake room and it's sparkling and organized for what's next.

 

Are you available for hire???  HAHAHA

post #7 of 33
Thread Starter 

Wow...you guys are great! Elcee, please do take over and Cake Mommy, act as back up? I hate the idea of the forum not being up at all and love the idea that you two will take over for me!

 

Cake Mommy...wow! The Minecraft cake I'm doing is NOTHING near what you did! Wow! Seriously! 6000 tiles? EEK! I'm doing a small "terraced" type cake so it won't be nearly that many squares. Thank goodness! I know it WILL take me all day long to do but at least it's not 6000 tiles! LOL! Wonderful work on both of those cakes!

 

Cat

post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper View Post

Wow...you guys are great! Elcee, please do take over and Cake Mommy, act as back up? I hate the idea of the forum not being up at all and love the idea that you two will take over for me!

 

Cake Mommy...wow! The Minecraft cake I'm doing is NOTHING near what you did! Wow! Seriously! 6000 tiles? EEK! I'm doing a small "terraced" type cake so it won't be nearly that many squares. Thank goodness! I know it WILL take me all day long to do but at least it's not 6000 tiles! LOL! Wonderful work on both of those cakes!

 

Cat

When I first decided on it I didn't realize how many tiles it would take.  It wasn't that hard just VERY time consuming! 

post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper View Post

Wow...you guys are great! Elcee, please do take over and Cake Mommy, act as back up? I hate the idea of the forum not being up at all and love the idea that you two will take over for me!

 

OK, done deal! 7:45 your time? That's 8:45 my time. I'll be here.

 

Cakemommy2012, my cake room organization rates are much higher priced than my cakes icon_lol.gif. Love your minecraft cake and the chocolate one looks delicious!

post #10 of 33
Thread Starter 

Yup...8:45 your time. Much easier to do than the time in Rome! LOL! 

 

And I would pay well for your organization time. I have the skills just not the time to utilize them. I tell people about my days and they tell me that they are tired just hearing about it<G>. My time in Italy is, technically, a vacation but we tend to go go go on vacation and it's my time to fall back to being a photographer so we run ourselves ragged. The first time we went I actually, stupidly, scheduled a cake for the week I got home. Fortunately I learned by my mistake and the week after we get back I'll have nothing much to do than my normal house stuff and to edit the photographs. Yup, need a vacation from my vacation! LOL! 

 

But then summer kicks off the week after and I'm booked all summer long after booking my last week this morning. So I will highly enjoy my vacation and the week after!

 

I'm finished with the Princess Cake now but it's too dark to photograph it. I'll do that tomorrow. I think it turned out very cute! 

 

Cat

post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee View Post

OK, done deal! 7:45 your time? That's 8:45 my time. I'll be here.

 

Cakemommy2012, my cake room organization rates are much higher priced than my cakes icon_lol.gif. Love your minecraft cake and the chocolate one looks delicious!

Thanks Elcee!  =-) 

 

There are times I would pay ANYTHING to have my cake stuff cleaned and organized!  LOL icon_wink.gif  The LAST thing I want to do after baking, frosting, decorating, and assembling a cake is put everything back where it belongs and clean up!

post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper View Post

Yup...8:45 your time. Much easier to do than the time in Rome! LOL! 

 

And I would pay well for your organization time. I have the skills just not the time to utilize them. I tell people about my days and they tell me that they are tired just hearing about it<G>. My time in Italy is, technically, a vacation but we tend to go go go on vacation and it's my time to fall back to being a photographer so we run ourselves ragged. The first time we went I actually, stupidly, scheduled a cake for the week I got home. Fortunately I learned by my mistake and the week after we get back I'll have nothing much to do than my normal house stuff and to edit the photographs. Yup, need a vacation from my vacation! LOL! 

 

But then summer kicks off the week after and I'm booked all summer long after booking my last week this morning. So I will highly enjoy my vacation and the week after!

 

I'm finished with the Princess Cake now but it's too dark to photograph it. I'll do that tomorrow. I think it turned out very cute! 

 

Cat


Hope you have a WONDERFUL time!  Sounds like so much fun!  I would love to go to Rome atleast once in my lifetime.  Can't wait to see the princess cake!  =-)

post #13 of 33

I'm so excited about your icing smiles cake! I can't wait to get a call. I signed-up in December, so we will see.

 

I delivered a surprise Abbey Road cake earlier today. I'll post pictures after the party (saturday night), just in case someone happens to be lurking on the internet and I ruin the surprise.

 

Tonight I'm preparing for Lambeth mini boot camp classes with Kathleen Lange. Although most of my customers don't do eggs, I think the class will help me out alot with piping. I'm covering a cake dummy with a bottom bevel in fondant, and making lots of royal icing.  I procrastinated on getting my supplies and I went to the cake store and they were out of some of the things I needed of course. I'm kind of nervous about showing up to class without all the supplies. 

 

Have a wonderful trip, Cat! 

post #14 of 33

Good evening all,

 

Cat do you have room in your luggage to take me on that vacation, lol, I need one just about now.  Can't wait to see the cake.  Icing Smiles is a great organization.  

 

Cakemommy, love your cakes.  Don't envy all the work with the square tho. 

 

Working on a decent size order for an avengers birthday party for tomorrow, 4-8" cakes, 3dz, cupcakes, 3dz cake balls.  Had a cake during the week, another birthday cake.  This one was a teddy bear wearing a tutu, standing on top of a tree stump.  I really need to work on my facial skills.  My niece said the eyes looked scary and a couple of people on here agreed with her.  Oh well, the little girl was happy.

Virginia 323.253.8213
www.urbanainez.com
He is the man of my dreams, my prince; He gives me the desires of my heart, He completes me. His name is Jesus
Reply
Virginia 323.253.8213
www.urbanainez.com
He is the man of my dreams, my prince; He gives me the desires of my heart, He completes me. His name is Jesus
Reply
post #15 of 33

Hope you have a great holiday.  I didn't post last Friday as it is Saturday here and I was at a workshop.  We made giraffes (mine looks like a stoned baby dragon) and fairies that have hair sticking out sideways, sort of like a viking fairy to imagine. I'll try and down load photos for next week.  It was a lot of fun.

This week I am doing the 'Happy as a pig in s...' cake.  Spa, that's the word I was looking for.  I have made a very dense chocolate cake and have filled it with chocolate mousse and am waiting for it to set.  It tastes wonderful.  The fourth layer made it too high for the kitkats so I piled mousse on it and had some.  YUM.  When my full cake sets a bit I will put some ganache on it.  I am having friends for brekkie in the morning so that it the fourth and final course.  They will probably end up having to take it home with them as I usually make far too much food.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Friday Night Cake Club for 4/26/13