Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › What is a fair percentage to shop owner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is a fair percentage to shop owner? - Page 2

post #16 of 29

I'm from the UK so I'm not really into the reasons why US states have different laws. Is the OP only in the wrong because she's in NJ, or does the US not allow food to be sold from a home in any state?

post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariets View Post

I'm from the UK so I'm not really into the reasons why US states have different laws. Is the OP only in the wrong because she's in NJ, or does the US not allow food to be sold from a home in any state?

 

 

it's as diverse as from city to city sometimes--there's lots of variables

 

for example--ohio is awesome for home cakers

 

most of my state is awesome--except not the city i live in ;)

 

i think new jersy is real strict

love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
post #18 of 29

When I read this thread it didn't seem ugly. I thought Annabakescakes was being her usual funny/sarcastic self. And Jason was giving his usual business advice which is an awesome personality trait. We're here to help each other, so the OP might benefit from hearing business issues, not just a simple percentage.  

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply

VISIT US at BAKINGFIX

 

             Bookshelf    Consulting    Classes    Blog    Facebook  

    

 

 

Reply
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix View Post

When I read this thread it didn't seem ugly. I thought Annabakescakes was being her usual funny/sarcastic self. And Jason was giving his usual business advice which is an awesome personality trait. We're here to help each other, so the OP might benefit from hearing business issues, not just a simple percentage.  


Yes, thank you Mimi. I'm not saying that people would, or should turn her in, just that some could, and may feel justified.

I am in Ky. , where we have no cottage food industry laws, and I JUST had the sanitation district ring my bell (literally and figuratively!) to inspect my grease trap. I was putting my 4 year old down for a nap, and my husband and I were going to "do some laundry". I have several consultations this weekend, but no cakes, and I felt like I had been inturupted at home. Not to mention that I paid $400 for the grease trap, and $300 a year for the privilege for him to come out here and snoop. If I hear or someone illegally getting around that, selling cakes for $8-65 a serving, in my area, I do think I would narc them out. So, I was wondering how many NJ natives have called on her, and collected evidence.
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #20 of 29
First of all I will say that I'm only a hobby baker and will never ever sell my cakes not after what I've read off this website . I use to be on the side of the people who thought it was no big deal to sell cakes illegally but I was uninformed about how much money and work goes into getting a caking business up and running and maintained , so that being said I'm now on the side of people who have gone through all the proper legal channels. This is why I'm one of the people who ask someone if there kitchen is legal when they come on here and post a cake and ask how much to sell it for and just the other day there was a gal on here wanting to charge for the overhead of her unlicensed kitchen sorry but I just don't think that's right. Coming on here and saying that you are illegal and that you are selling product is bound to cause some controversy. Just my 2 cents.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita View Post

First of all I will say that I'm only a hobby baker and will never ever sell my cakes not after what I've read off this website . I use to be on the side of the people who thought it was no big deal to sell cakes illegally but I was uninformed about how much money and work goes into getting a caking business up and running and maintained , so that being said I'm now on the side of people who have gone through all the proper legal channels. This is why I'm one of the people who ask someone if there kitchen is legal when they come on here and post a cake and ask how much to sell it for and just the other day there was a gal on here wanting to charge for the overhead of her unlicensed kitchen sorry but I just don't think that's right. Coming on here and saying that you are illegal and that you are selling product is bound to cause some controversy. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you! 

*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture View Post

Thank you! 

Welcome icon_wink.gif
post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 

Wow.

 

I have paid taxes on my cake for several years  now.  I have also been in very close contact with the local health dept recently.

 

one of the reasons I havent been on here to reply to anything in 8 hours is bc i was busy moving ALL my supplies to the shop as I decided that was the best choice.

 

Since I was no longer going to be doing any baking out of my home for $ ( which I havent done in well over a year BTW due to some extremely serious personal problems) the only thing I was really going to be doing at my home was the non edible things ( sugar shoes etc).  But I decided it was a much better idea to do it all there for several reasons.

 

SOOOOOO thanks very much for the extremely helpful input.

 

Have a great day...

post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrider View Post

Wow.

 

I have paid taxes on my cake for several years  now.  I have also been in very close contact with the local health dept recently.

 

one of the reasons I havent been on here to reply to anything in 8 hours is bc i was busy moving ALL my supplies to the shop as I decided that was the best choice.

 

Since I was no longer going to be doing any baking out of my home for $ ( which I havent done in well over a year BTW due to some extremely serious personal problems) the only thing I was really going to be doing at my home was the non edible things ( sugar shoes etc).  But I decided it was a much better idea to do it all there for several reasons.

 

SOOOOOO thanks very much for the extremely helpful input.

 

Have a great day...


Good Luck with your business ventures bdrider, I'll be rooting for you icon_wink.gif

post #25 of 29

how awesome for you to get this great opportunity

 

what do you think your percentage will be to the owner?

 

do you think 10% is close? 8%?

 

ps. fwiw-- i pay sales & use tax as well as personal income tax on my hobby cakes

love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
post #26 of 29

icon_wink.gif

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrider View Post

Since I was no longer going to be doing any baking out of my home for $ ( which I havent done in well over a year BTW due to some extremely serious personal problems) the only thing I was really going to be doing at my home was the non edible things ( sugar shoes etc).  But I decided it was a much better idea to do it all there for several reasons.
Good for you!

If you do decide going the commission route, you'll need to know how much of a markup you have for profit, and how much of that you will be willing to give up. Compare that with building in the cost of hourly kitchen rental and see how the numbers work in both scenarios.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post

Um, how many illegal home bakers pay taxes? Seriously?
Be careful with this, repeatedly making false reports to the IRS based on guilt by association instead of proof can get you in trouble.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrider View Post

So I'd love some feedback as to what is a fair percentage to give to a shop owner if you are operating under their food license, occasionaly working out of their facility.  Orders would come from shops clientelle as well as exisiting/new customers for me...

 

Materials paid for by me...

 

So basically I would be operating under the shops umbrella ( anyone in NJ knows what a giant situation this is)... And since I've not done this before I'm unsure what percentage would be fair to give to owner.

Are you paying an hourly or daily rent?  That would cover everything that the shop owner considers to be their overhead plus a small profit if they know what they are doing.  In which case, no other payment.

 

Are you paying by the job?  Then you should  agree IN WRITING on a commission before you start working out of this kitchen. 

 

But I would ask for a rate by the hour or day--because a percentage/commission means that you are paying the shop owner "rent" for the ingredients that YOU are buying.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › What is a fair percentage to shop owner?