Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › Cake pop debate!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cake pop debate! - Page 3

post #31 of 71

I do like the idea of using flavored creamer in lieu of frosting to cut down on sweetness.  Have to try that out.  I'm guessing that also adds moisture to the cake which is a plus.  

 

The few times I tried the crumb+frosting way, it was alot of work -> crumble the cake, mix the crumb with a binder and, and roll into balls.  I found the cake ball pan to be more efficient.  Will help to have a couple of pans, though.  I only own one.

 

In comparing candy melts to almond bark, my tasters preferred the bark.  The chocolate bark actually tasted like real chocolate to them.    

post #32 of 71

I think you're right about that, leah_s. If I use icing at all, it's just the tiniest bit. If the cake needs binding, I prefer to moisten it with a little liqueur or other alcoholic beverage - Bailey's, rum, limoncello, etc. That's why I liked the idea of the coffee creamers and the unsweetened cream for a non-alcoholic but not overly sweet version. I also like to add nuts and chopped dried fruits when the occasion calls for it.

Marianna
"I know my own mind...and it's around here somewhere!"
Reply
Marianna
"I know my own mind...and it's around here somewhere!"
Reply
post #33 of 71

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the candy coating vs. chocolate part of the debate. Real chocolate all the way, although the candy melts I get are basically chocolate that has had the cocoa butter removed and substituted with some other kind of vegetable fat, so it's not totally gross.

Marianna
"I know my own mind...and it's around here somewhere!"
Reply
Marianna
"I know my own mind...and it's around here somewhere!"
Reply
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46 View Post

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the candy coating vs. chocolate part of the debate. Real chocolate all the way, although the candy melts I get are basically chocolate that has had the cocoa butter removed and substituted with some other kind of vegetable fat, so it's not totally gross.

What brand is that? Sounds interesting! I HATE Candy Melts, too gross!

 

 

I think a lot of people are also forgetting that flavored coffee creamer is sickeningly sweet.

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s View Post

I sell as many of these as I can make on the Dessert Truck.  I buy sticks by the box of 1000.  The key is to use the tinest bit of icing with the crumbs.  Most people use way too much - like twice too much.

 

I agree! many of the "how tos" instruct to make a mush mix...YUCK...the mouth-feel on this consistency is really gross!!!

 

for a large crumbled cake (NordicWare 9x2.5 rounds X2, 10 cups batter), between 3-5 tablespoons of icing is plenty. the mix is just barely moist...just enough to hold a shape. for icing I use a crusting buttercream, so chilling the ball (or square, or heart, or egg, etc.) sets the shape for dipping.     

cake-hole

 -- (noun) Mouth, i.e. the orifice one ought to be using for eating cake rather than talking $#!7

Anniversary
(6 photos)
Easter
(5 photos)
Reply

cake-hole

 -- (noun) Mouth, i.e. the orifice one ought to be using for eating cake rather than talking $#!7

Anniversary
(6 photos)
Easter
(5 photos)
Reply
post #36 of 71

Anna, the stuff I use are Dolcezza chips. They're made here in Mexico by a chocolate company called Turin. In all honesty, that's what I was told, but now that I'm taking a closer look at the ingredients on the label, I'm not sure my information is totally correct, but they do taste a lot better than your standard candy melts.

Marianna
"I know my own mind...and it's around here somewhere!"
Reply
Marianna
"I know my own mind...and it's around here somewhere!"
Reply
post #37 of 71

Well, okay, I've been doing a little research on the internet and it seems that the basic ingredient in these chips is something called "grasa láurica", which I have no idea how to translate into English, except that it is some kind of fat. What the internet says about it is that it is indeed a fat used as a substitute for cocoa butter in chocolate products, so maybe my info wasn't so wrong after all. It has the decided advantage that if you overheat the "chocolate" chips, they still melt nicely without seizing or scorching.

Marianna
"I know my own mind...and it's around here somewhere!"
Reply
Marianna
"I know my own mind...and it's around here somewhere!"
Reply
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefat View Post

I'm a cake pop virgin. I've never had the chance to eat one and I heard they were a PITA to make, so haven't tried. If I ever see one that looks/seems reasonably 'fresh' maybe I'll try one...but so far haven't come across one yet. 

 

ps- also candy melts sort of freak me out...it's like sugary plastic, right?


Everything she said!  Haha! Cakepop virgin!

post #39 of 71

You can make them without frosting look at this clip.  She is the maker of cake roller which is on sale for $99

 

Also, check out her other blog post some cute stuff.

 

http://heavenlycakepops.com/2012/03/tips-and-tricks-the-food-processor/

Jennifer Dontz Sugarpaste flower class - Hollister, CA 10/12 & 10/13/13 contact me or sugardelites.com
Reply
Jennifer Dontz Sugarpaste flower class - Hollister, CA 10/12 & 10/13/13 contact me or sugardelites.com
Reply
post #40 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46 View Post

Anna, the stuff I use are Dolcezza chips. They're made here in Mexico by a chocolate company called Turin. In all honesty, that's what I was told, but now that I'm taking a closer look at the ingredients on the label, I'm not sure my information is totally correct, but they do taste a lot better than your standard candy melts.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46 View Post

Well, okay, I've been doing a little research on the internet and it seems that the basic ingredient in these chips is something called "grasa láurica", which I have no idea how to translate into English, except that it is some kind of fat. What the internet says about it is that it is indeed a fat used as a substitute for cocoa butter in chocolate products, so maybe my info wasn't so wrong after all. It has the decided advantage that if you overheat the "chocolate" chips, they still melt nicely without seizing or scorching.

Thank you Marianna, I will have to look for them!

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #41 of 71

I use almond bark...easier to work with then the pellets and super inexpensive from walmart and I don't have to worry about tempering them.    they only sell milk chocolate and white chocolate but you can dye the white whatever color.  to much frosting causes to many issues, besides being SUPER sweet, it also causes them to fall off the stick.  I use a mixer to crumble my cake and use very little frosting if any at all...depending on whether I overcook or not, lol..don't judge me, lol!!!  There is quite a debate about cake pop vs. bake pop.  I use scraps so cake pops it is for me, but I have both the cake pop roller and bake pop machine.  they are quite different.  I saw someone referenced the cake pop roller and while it works for some, (I love mine), it doesn't work for others, but from what I can tell it all boils down to a consistency issue.  I saw this blog it was pretty funny...sarcastic yet it hit home.  http://heavenlycakepops.com/2013/07/bake-pop-vs-cake-pops/

post #42 of 71

I do both.  My daughter perfers the lighter ones using the cake pop maker but my customers rather the actual cake pops --with the crumbs and icing.... I have been reading everything I can re: cakepops and I love it.. SO - Crumbs and light icing all day.. (FYI- your chocolate shouldn't be rock hard.. maybe you should add some crisco to it?) it was lighten the thickness up.

Lushcakez by AB

Cupcakes!
(7 photos)
  
Reply

Lushcakez by AB

Cupcakes!
(7 photos)
  
Reply
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTorte View Post

I use almond bark...easier to work with then the pellets and super inexpensive from walmart and I don't have to worry about tempering them.    they only sell milk chocolate and white chocolate but you can dye the white whatever color.  to much frosting causes to many issues, besides being SUPER sweet, it also causes them to fall off the stick.  I use a mixer to crumble my cake and use very little frosting if any at all...depending on whether I overcook or not, lol..don't judge me, lol!!!  There is quite a debate about cake pop vs. bake pop.  I use scraps so cake pops it is for me, but I have both the cake pop roller and bake pop machine.  they are quite different.  I saw someone referenced the cake pop roller and while it works for some, (I love mine), it doesn't work for others, but from what I can tell it all boils down to a consistency issue.  I saw this blog it was pretty funny...sarcastic yet it hit home.  http://heavenlycakepops.com/2013/07/bake-pop-vs-cake-pops/

LOVE the infographic :-) Though I couldn't disagree more!

cakepops_infographic.jpg

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #44 of 71

I so want to buy one of those rollers. I made 80 cake pops balls last night..

I saw one of the demo's regarding problem solving.. it seems you have to take the air out of the cake.. it really has to be bindable..

Lushcakez by AB

Cupcakes!
(7 photos)
  
Reply

Lushcakez by AB

Cupcakes!
(7 photos)
  
Reply
post #45 of 71
I have the roller. Save your money for an Agbay.
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cupcakes!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › Cake pop debate!