I have been thrown into a state of confusion about what glitter is edible and what is not so I have been experimenting with making my own edible glitter. I began with the recipe of:
1T. gum arabic, 1T water and 1 egg white(beaten). desired amount of gel food color
Heat the water and gum arabic in the top of a double boiler and stir until it dissolves. Then take it off the heat and let the mixture cool to luke warm and whisk in the beaten egg white. Pour into glass baking dish (I used 9x13 pan I use for lasagne) Let dry for 12 hours and then scrape off with metal spatula. If it came out with flakes too large, I just ground it a little with my mortar and pestal. Store in air tight container.
Some websites used just the gum arabic and water so here is my finding;
1. Gum Arabic and water: This makes a large flake and very sparkly glitter. It scraped off the easiest of all trials.
2. Gum Arabic and water and meringue powder mixed with approiate amount of water to make the equivalent to one egg white.: this mixture had some less shiny patches where I hadn't gotten the meringue powder mixed in evenly. Other than that it was quite acceptable with medium sized easy to scrape off flakes.
3. Gum Arabic and water with real egg white.: This had some places where I hadn't gotten the egg beaten well together so it had some clear specks when I spread it in the pan. This had medium size flakes and was easy to scrape off except where there was a speck of white.
4. Gum Arabic and water with Egg Beater's whites only. OMG this was the best. The color mixed in evenly and it was also very glittery with medium sized flakes and easy to scrape off.
5. Only Egg Beater's whites only with gel color. This scrapes off the worst of all trials, however it makes a nice small flake and is very shiny.
I'm not really sure how much the glass pan adds to the glitteryness of the mixture. I might try spreading it on parchment paper because the whites only mixture was difficult to scrape off. I really had to work at it.