I found generic brand shortening at the store the other day with 2.5 g Trans Fat. But I had ordered Kitchen Krafts Hi Ratio Shortening an hour before for the first time so I did not buy it. There is a great price difference between the two and I was wondering if I can use the generic with Trans Fat instead of the Hi ratio with the same results? Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- I finally took the plunge and did it! Last post on 12/18/12 at 5:56am in Cake Decorating
- Trans Fats in shortening Last post on 6/22/12 at 1:38pm in Cake Decorating
- Does generic veg shortening WITH trans fats even exist? Last post on 10/16/13 at 12:59am in Cake Decorating
- Buttercream or crisco-cream? Last post on 6/20/14 at 8:30am in Cake Decorating
- Just what is Hi-Ratio shortening? Last post on 4/5/09 at 5:23am in How Do I?
Indydebi's Buttercream -Peanut Butter Variation
Last edited: 6/11/11
- Updated French Vanilla ButtercreamLast edited: 9/23/10
i love stenciling, it adds a beautiful elegant touch to the cake. but it can be a disaster if you don't know how to do it properly.
The silpats in various sizes make my baking and decorating much simpler. Don't know what I would do without one. Love the small ones to bake on, no need for parchment paper. And the big one...
I have to use a lot of it to turn my buttercream white (I use only butter, no crisco). It makes the icing almost curdly and almost impossible to smooth nicely. There is always a huge clump in the...
Love it! Drying time is perfect, it gives me the right time to work with it before it start drying. I recommend this product! Silvina Barboza.
I've tried this fondant and I fell in love with it! Is a really good product, superior quality and great taste! Not coming back to my old fondant. Silvina Barboza Sugar Artist.
- Updated French Vanilla Buttercream
Shortening with Trans Fat vs. Hi Ratio
What are you planning to use it for?
Hi-Ratio shortening (can be trans fat free or not) contains emulsifiers. That is what makes it different from Regular shortening. The amount of Trans fat has nothing to do with the characteristics that make Hi-Ratio shortening different from regular. So... are you trying to bake a hi-ratio cake? Then regular shortening won't work. Are you trying to make Decorator's buttercream? Then either would work depending on what recipe you're using. I have read that Sugarshack's BC requires Hi-Ratio for best results.
- Shortening with Trans Fat vs. Hi Ratio
- › things NOT to ask/say to a baker! 6 minutes ago
- › Printing 9 minutes ago
- › Think I came to the right place! I have fallin in love with... 9 minutes ago
- › Sugar Cookie Hell! 15 minutes ago
- › SMBC? What is the difference? 22 minutes ago
- › Need a few recipes to use up bottle of Dekuyper Kirschwasser... 37 minutes ago
- › Cupcakes in a jar... How much? 38 minutes ago
- › What cake do I use for a whipped cream and fruits filling? 47 minutes ago
- › Help please - Best hardening paste for this cake - Gumpaste, flower... 53 minutes ago
- › Is this the new Disco Dust? 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Rose Cake Tier #2 Stencil by Designer Stencils by LizKatherine
- › Silpat Non-Stick Silicone Commercial Size Baking Mat by TrudyF
- › Wilton White-White Icing Color by Jenny BakesAlot
- › Renshaw Gum Paste, 1.1 Pound by Silvina Barboza
- › Renshaw White Fondant Icing, 10 Pound by Silvina Barboza
- › Ready-To-Roll Fondant White, 1-1/2 Pounds by Renshaw by psurrette
- › Renshaw Fondant Icing, Pink, 1.5 Pound by Dawn Parrott
- › Renshaw White Fondant Icing, 5 Pound by vizinamd
- › Renshaw Fondant Icing, Purple, 1.5 Pound by dlmcr
- › Renshaw Fondant Icing, Blue, 1.5 Pound by Couturecupcakes
- › Apple Tea Cake
- › Sophia the First cookie cake topper
- › Gingerbread Haunted House For Halloween
- › Delicious Crusting SNOW WHITE Buttercream /...
- › Fathers Day Griller
- › Mini Ghost Cakes for Halloween
- › Scary Spider Cookies for Halloween
- › Halloween cupcake topper
- › Best Ever Cupcake Icing - How to Video
- › How to make chocolate pinecones