Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › I thought Disco Dust is not edible....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I thought Disco Dust is not edible.... - Page 3

post #31 of 48
Feel free to keep arguing with yourself - I've said my piece and I'm done!
post #32 of 48
icon_eek.gif *Backs out of thread s-l-o-w-l-y...*
post #33 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

I tell all my customers that the glitter is not edible as such, but is non-toxic and I've never had a single customer say 'oh no, I don't want glitter'. As far as I am concerned if the customer is aware of the fact then let people do what they want. I personally would rather eat a cupcake with glitter on it than a cupcake with frosting made with shortening.



Well, sadly, a lot of people don't know how to distinguish between "not edible" and "non-toxic". I bet if you told them that it was, indeed, fine grain plastic craft glitter--like that used in scrapbooking--they might think twice and decline.

I certainly know that if someone told me that they'd be sprinkling plastic granules on my food that I'd tell them that they'd better not do it........ icon_confused.gif

At least I know that shortening will ...........glide........thru my system. I have no idea where little plastic particles--that can't be digested/broken down EVER-- might collect.........so many nooks and crannies to lurk in (I've seen my DH's colonoscopy photos icon_eek.gif )..........

JMHO
Rae

thumbs_up.gif
post #34 of 48
I love disco dust! It makes my gumpaste brooches pop! and anything i want to sparkle, I never add it to the actual fondant or buttercream though.

SimplyDelicious.

Add a little sweet to your day!

Reply

SimplyDelicious.

Add a little sweet to your day!

Reply
post #35 of 48
That poor horse is begging for the flogging to stop le sigh.
A down-to-earth South African who has a growing interest in fondant cakes...I've been bitten by the cake bug!
Reply
A down-to-earth South African who has a growing interest in fondant cakes...I've been bitten by the cake bug!
Reply
post #36 of 48
Thread Starter 
post #37 of 48

Great article, I've re-posted on my Facebook.  Thanks!

post #38 of 48

I read this about one week ago.  Thank goodness, I have never eaten a cake made with any of this glitter stuff!!  I wonder why the FDA does not do its job when they let anything be put out there for human consumption??? Thanks for posting this so everyone can see. I was going to post but somehow I lost where the site was at. Thanks/Mary
 

post #39 of 48

Do some research peeps....it's made from mica, not plastic....non toxic, 

post #40 of 48

I don't know about you guys but when it says on the packet the is is not for consumption some alarm bells start ringing!
*

post #41 of 48

People seem to confuse "non toxic" with being 'edible'..two different things.  I do believe that they are some edible glitters out there..made from other materials (starch based food products) but they will say edible on the label. Not "non-toxic". Most glitters are not edible, not meant for human consumption and are non-toxic. 

 

geez..this topic doesn't end, does it?! 

post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake View Post

Do some research peeps....it's made from mica, not plastic....non toxic, 

Very little, if any of what is readily available, is made with mica ( or other minerals).  Most of what's out there IS PLASTIC. 

 

Many of the non-toxic luster dusts do contain mica, as do most eyeshadows.

post #43 of 48

I think disco dust is harmless, but I still won't put it on anything I bake that will be consumed.  I guess I'm sort of a "disco dust hypocrite."icon_biggrin.gif

post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRumzis View Post

Look at how it's made, then you decide! icon_smile.gif http://www.naturalnews.com/024694_oil_food_oils.html

thumbs_up.gif

I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
I homeschool because I don't believe in the mass production of human beings.
Reply
post #45 of 48

Ok, I did this once, and I ain't doing it again. I stuck a finger full in my mouth and chewed it up. Well, I didn't chew it up, cause it couldn't be chewed, cause it was...plastic.

*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › I thought Disco Dust is not edible....