Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Wilton Castle Cake-Anyone ever put it together?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wilton Castle Cake-Anyone ever put it together?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I have an order for this cake, it looks super easy but I got to reading reviews about it and people are saying it has taken them 8 hours to assemble and it is very difficult. This kinda worries me, lol.

The cake is for Saturday morning, delivery to location is about a 45 minutes car ride.

I planned on decorating all of the columns and turetts tonight with royal icing and sanding sugar.

Should I wait to assemble all of the cloumns onto the cake at the venue?

Has anyone made this cake, can you give me any tips?

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply
post #2 of 20
Looks ARE deceiving on this one! I actually gave this set away because of how difficult it is to use. My recommendations- decorate on site. I tried all of the tips I saw online- royal icing, melted chocolate, building up icing on the sides of the towers where it meets the cake, etc- nothing worked. Of all of the columns I had on the cake, only 1 did not fall off at some point in time. Its really a design flaw on wiltons part. There is nothing to secure the towers to the cake. Good luck!
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Do you think if I drill small holes into the columns and use a skewer to connect the column to the cake, that would work?

I'm sitting here looking at pics and I really do not want to work on a cake that looks this simple for 8 hours, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope22023

Looks ARE deceiving on this one! I actually gave this set away because of how difficult it is to use. My recommendations- decorate on site. I tried all of the tips I saw online- royal icing, melted chocolate, building up icing on the sides of the towers where it meets the cake, etc- nothing worked. Of all of the columns I had on the cake, only 1 did not fall off at some point in time. Its really a design flaw on wiltons part. There is nothing to secure the towers to the cake. Good luck!

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply
post #4 of 20
I have made this cake several times. I drill a hole through the bottoms of the pillars and use dowel - then slide the pillar over them, they wont go anywhere. I deliver mine assembled, and have never run into any issues.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=267093296659528&set=a.304795166222674.63447.199991496703042&type=3&theater
You get more bees with honey!
Reply
You get more bees with honey!
Reply
post #5 of 20
it does NOT take 8 hours to assemble, its a pretty simple cake in my opinion.
You get more bees with honey!
Reply
You get more bees with honey!
Reply
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Awesome...I just looked at your facebook picture. The green icing on the cake, is that royal or buttercream? Also, what tip did you use for the green icing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by labelle24

I have made this cake several times. I drill a hole through the bottoms of the pillars and use dowel - then slide the pillar over them, they wont go anywhere. I deliver mine assembled, and have never run into any issues.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=267093296659528&set=a.304795166222674.63447.199991496703042&type=3&theater

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply
post #7 of 20
I think I used the #66 leaf tip, it's buttercream, infact I think I cut corners and bought wilton green icing so I didn't have to fuss with mixing it, I made all the flowers and decorate the cones a week ahead of time. It was a matter of icing the cake, stacking, and assembly - 3 hours tops.
You get more bees with honey!
Reply
You get more bees with honey!
Reply
post #8 of 20
On another note regarding the castle cake, has anoyone who has decorated it covered the towers in fondant? I am wondering the best way to apply the fondant to stick to teh white plastic.

Thanks!
post #9 of 20
I have, but it wont let me attach the picture and I don't know how to turn it into a link
You get more bees with honey!
Reply
You get more bees with honey!
Reply
post #10 of 20
I also drill holes to put the dowels in the bottom of the turrets. For the turrets that sit directly on the cake board, I glue 2 short poly dowels to the sides of the turret and insert that into the cake.

To attach fondant to the turret, just use some piping glue or skim coat with corn syrup.
post #11 of 20

I bought the Wilton Castle kit for a cake for this weekend. I was planning on covering the columns with fondant.  but now reading these posts i'm a bit nervous.  and confused....  which columns/ turrets is everyone having trouble with?  The ones on the baseboard?  what about the ones in the cake?  I'm also confused about how some bakers are drilling a hole and using the dowel. where exactly is it going?  I was planning on putting a dowel in the cake and then sticking the cake pillars into the cake about an inch.  But I am guessing that the base pillars are the ones giving the problems, correct?  If so, would it help if I tied a ribbon around the bottom cake while transporting?  I am going to use RI for all of the other decorations so the ribbon wouldn't mess anything up.  Would that help? 

 

Is it really that difficult?

post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsg1111 View Post

I bought the Wilton Castle kit for a cake for this weekend. I was planning on covering the columns with fondant.  but now reading these posts i'm a bit nervous.  and confused....  which columns/ turrets is everyone having trouble with?  The ones on the baseboard?  what about the ones in the cake?  I'm also confused about how some bakers are drilling a hole and using the dowel. where exactly is it going?  I was planning on putting a dowel in the cake and then sticking the cake pillars into the cake about an inch.  But I am guessing that the base pillars are the ones giving the problems, correct?  If so, would it help if I tied a ribbon around the bottom cake while transporting?  I am going to use RI for all of the other decorations so the ribbon wouldn't mess anything up.  Would that help? 

 

Is it really that difficult?

The pillars are closed at the bottom, they aren't open like plastic cake dowels so you can't shove them down into the cake.  I had to drill 2 small holes in the side of each column and one in the bottom of each, and use wooden dowels or straws to connect the column/pillars to the cake. 

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply
post #13 of 20
Hi there. I'm going to give this cake a go for my daughter's 5th birthday in a couple of weeks.
Question I have is how many cakes do I need to bake? Do I just make the 6inch and 10inch and cut them in half a fill. Or do I make 2 6inch and 2 10inch. I am not clear on that part.
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzanz05 View Post

Hi there. I'm going to give this cake a go for my daughter's 5th birthday in a couple of weeks.
Question I have is how many cakes do I need to bake? Do I just make the 6inch and 10inch and cut them in half a fill. Or do I make 2 6inch and 2 10inch. I am not clear on that part.


2-10 inch cakes and 2-6 inch cakes

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply

No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government...

Reply
post #15 of 20
Cool thanks for that. I am using boxed cake mixtures for the cakes. Should 2 cake mixs be enough.
Also I want to make the fondant flowers in advance. How do I store them before putting on the cake.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Wilton Castle Cake-Anyone ever put it together?