Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Disasters › cake pops problems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

cake pops problems - Page 2

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne77

I've had this problem before and find it has nothing to do with using icing, which I always do. For me, it was using cake recipes that have oil in them. I only bake from scratch - never use box recipes. I have just adjusted my recipes - I use butter instead of oil. It takes a little tweeking to get the perfect flavor, but it has helped.

Also, make sure the cake pops or cake balls are cool when you're dipping them - not too cold or the chocolate will crack once it dries. You can leave them in the refrigerator and take a few out at a time while you're dipping. I put them all on parchment paper on a large cookie sheet, then sit the cookie sheet on top of a pan full of ice. This way I'm not running back and forth to the fridge. Works great!

Good luck!



Thanks. It's been so long since the one time I made cake pops, I have forgotten what kind of cake I used. I'm thinking it was strawberry...and that recipe does have oil.

I will try your ice idea!
post #17 of 29
What are you using to make them? OP said cake pops, those don't have frosting in the mix - they are baked in cake pop pans. Cake balls are rolled with frosting...or melted choc in Dianne's case! (thanks for sharing icon_wink.gif)
I haven't had this problem, I've used the babycakes and the bake pop pans with scratch mix and wilton candy melts.

I have flavored the chocolate and it was super yummy! One batch I did raspberry swirl cake and put some raspberry extract in the chocolate, delicious! The other one was chocolate cake with mint extract in the chocolate- even better! I did rainbow cake pops once, and flavored the chocolate to match each color...yellow-lemon, red- strawberry.....that was a lot of work, but it came out so beautiful!!
I've learned so much from my mistakes..... I'm thinking of making a few more!
Reply
I've learned so much from my mistakes..... I'm thinking of making a few more!
Reply
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

What are you using to make them? OP said cake pops, those don't have frosting in the mix - they are baked in cake pop pans. Cake balls are rolled with frosting...or melted choc in Dianne's case! (thanks for sharing icon_wink.gif)
I haven't had this problem, I've used the babycakes and the bake pop pans with scratch mix and wilton candy melts.

I have flavored the chocolate and it was super yummy! One batch I did raspberry swirl cake and put some raspberry extract in the chocolate, delicious! The other one was chocolate cake with mint extract in the chocolate- even better! I did rainbow cake pops once, and flavored the chocolate to match each color...yellow-lemon, red- strawberry.....that was a lot of work, but it came out so beautiful!!



Pops are on sticks, balls are not.
post #19 of 29
Last question today, I promise!

I have seen people on youtube add a teaspoon of shortening to the candy melts as the were heating. Is this necessary? What does it accomplish?

To me, cake pops are balls of cake on sticks, with or without frosting added. That has been my understanding. Didn't Bakerella come up with the term? She definitely adds frosting.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Last question today, I promise!

I have seen people on youtube add a teaspoon of shortening to the candy melts as the were heating. Is this necessary? What does it accomplish?

To me, cake pops are balls of cake on sticks, with or without frosting added. That has been my understanding. Didn't Bakerella come up with the term? She definitely adds frosting.



A teaspoon of shortening is to thin the candy melts after they're melted. Sometimes they aren't great for dipping, especially the red. You are correct, cake pops are balls on sticks - - the recipe makes no difference. The little cake pop baker wasn't even invented until Bakerella made them popular, but the balls have been around for quite some time. They used to be called cake truffles. thumbs_up.gif
post #21 of 29
My bad, I just assumed cake pops were made with the cake pop maker..... I figured the 'balls' were manually shaped, which I haven't tried yet- but I like that they can be shaped into different things -rather then just a standard round ball. I have some frozen cakes that I will probably never use...someday I am going to make cake balls with them!
I've learned so much from my mistakes..... I'm thinking of making a few more!
Reply
I've learned so much from my mistakes..... I'm thinking of making a few more!
Reply
post #22 of 29
Not a problem. I'm still trying to get the dipping thing down without the stick. icon_sad.gif All the websites and tutorials I've checked out say it's "so easy and fun" to make them. They lie. I've made hundreds of pops and balls and have never eaten one. By the time I get through dipping and decorating, I don't want anything to do with them - until the next time. icon_smile.gif
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Not a problem. I'm still trying to get the dipping thing down without the stick. icon_sad.gif All the websites and tutorials I've checked out say it's "so easy and fun" to make them. They lie. I've made hundreds of pops and balls and have never eaten one. By the time I get through dipping and decorating, I don't want anything to do with them - until the next time. icon_smile.gif



I watched someone bravely do it on youtube with a toothpick. She went back and dabbed a tiny bit of candy melts over the hole.

I could just see mine falling off of the toothpick.......
post #24 of 29
I've had to dig a few out of the bowl, but I must admit not for a while. I am getting better at them. yay.
post #25 of 29
I started making these about four years ago when someone on CC posted what she did with the scraps from her cakes and a bit of the back then "new" flavored coffee creamers.
Big discussion on what to call them. Purist said they weren't a real truffle so balls won out.
The lady said her husband called them Reindeer droppings...well...I'm not sure if that is what they call them in her hometown.
Suddenly their was a huge craze about a year later when people caught on, Bakerella made them cute and added a stick and now you can buy a pan that makes them round for you.
What ever you call them, I've made hundreds of dozens to raise funds for mission trips. I have quite a few addicts that call me a month in advance to see if I'm making them every year.
As time consuming as they are, they are here to stay.

As for the liquid that escapes, I only get that when I make them with an add-in that breaks down inside the ball. Heath bits are the biggest trouble maker.( I add those to a Creme Brulee flavored cake and they go like hotcakes.) With those I really need to be sure the ball is sealed or they turn into a mess in about 12 hours.
Never have any trouble with mini chocolate chips. icon_biggrin.gif

By the way, those recipes that tell you to dump a whole tub of icing into the crumbled cake. I just know there are women who would like to throw the whole batch of it in the trash can.
That must make the sloppiest dough in the world. Ewwww.

mommachris

wife to David for 25 years
mom to 13 blessings
Nine who are still living at home that range from 22 to 4 years old.
Holly, Amy, Aaron, Evelyn, Zebedee, Melody, William, Melissa and little Tobin
and four more sweet babies in heaven.

Reply

wife to David for 25 years
mom to 13 blessings
Nine who are still living at home that range from 22 to 4 years old.
Holly, Amy, Aaron, Evelyn, Zebedee, Melody, William, Melissa and little Tobin
and four more sweet babies in heaven.

Reply
post #26 of 29
Dipping the balls I.tried several utensils including toothpick and skewer . A regular dinner fork worked best . I see that they do make 2tined fork for dipping . I was also thinking a seafood fork might work ? .
I only add enough icing so it stick together well.
post #27 of 29
Dipping the balls I.tried several utensils including toothpick and skewer . A regular dinner fork worked best . I see that they do make 2tined fork for dipping . I was also thinking a seafood fork might work ? .
I only add enough icing so it stick together well.
post #28 of 29
How many time can I reheat the candy melt if I have some left from one week to another for example ? Actually, I don't use all the candy melt I've heated.

I also have sometimes the sweating pb, a drop of grease on the outside of the pop. My cake doesn't have oil in it and the candy melt is clearly sealing the cake, I usually don't add fat to thin the candy melt.

Any ideas ?
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

I made them once and I had a similar problem. It wasn't grease, but the actual cake portion that seeped out around the lollipop stick. It happened after the candy coating was hard.


So, if you do a 9x13 amount of cake, how much icing is correct to add? Also, I noticed Bakerella uses cream cheese icing a lot. It's ok to use buttercream, right?



The cake mixture seeping out will happen if you coat them when they are too cold. They contract in the freezer, then after they are coated and sit out they warm up (to room temp) and expand, and the only place the cake mixture has to go is out any tiny holes. The other thing that can happen is that instead of oozing cake, the coating will crack as they warm up and expand. I've had both things happen...

I agree with whoever said that these cake balls and pops are not as easy as they look!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Disasters
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Disasters › cake pops problems