I got the PME people moulds yesterday and was really pleased with how my first attempt came out. I used fondant with tylose mixed in supported by toothpicks. The instructions are really good and explain how to make sitting figure etc.
So, I began with 1/4 cup filled with flesh colored fondant (mixed w/ tylose)...from that, I removed a Tablespoon for the head, 1/4 tsp. for each boob, and 1 tsp. for the stomach, (for the boobs and bump, I filled the spoons and pressed them against parchment paper on a table...the flat back, and the rounded fronts were perfect to glue to the body once I popped them out...I didn't have to shape them at all, the spoons did all the work).
What was left of the 1/4 cup, I shaped into a torso. It was kind of flat, which worked great for the back, because it looked how it should when a person is sitting, you can see it better in the photo where the body is dressed and in the background.
Each (capri) pant leg was 1-1/2 tsp. of brown fondant (mixed with tylose). Those ARE the tops of the legs, I didn't cover legs with the brown.
The shirt had a front and back piece...they were joined at the shoulders and down the sides of the torso...next time I want to make a shirt that has a seam under the boobs, so the stomach stands out more.
I didn't measure the amounts for the arms & legs..I just started with a small ball for each, shaped, and trimmed as needed.
I used an extruder for the curly hair.
Her eyebrows and lashes are fondant...most people, even Lorraine, paint those on...but there was no way I was attempting that with a tiny brush!
Oh yeah, she doesn't have toes or ears !
By the way, this was just for fun, so she was already in the trash when I thought to take some undressed photos, to help me next time...that's why her pants & shoe are sweating and messy, part of one leg is missing, and you can see the color of her shirt still stuck to her torso.
One last thing...if you click on all the red X's below (after the photos), you can see each one a little bit bigger.
Thank you LateBloomer...and here you go, AfordRN....
I discovered that my MMF was going to need tylose if I wanted the hair to be curly...when I made 20 test curls without it...every single one broke...some while removing from the toothpicks, some while just handling.
The problem though...MMF w/ tylose does not do well when used with an extruder...it looks terrible, no matter how pliable it is going in.
After some experimenting, I decided to extrude the (tylosed) strands a little larger than I wanted, then use my fondant smoother to roll them down to size (on parchment). That process made each one shiny and smooth...then I wrapped them on toothpicks to take shape and dry.
(This seems like alot of work, but it wasn't that bad really...they were already in the snake shape...it would've been much worse rolling each curl from the starting point of a small ball, let's say).
I placed curls on the back of the head, then the sides.
Oh, on the sides, I put down a layer of "hair" flat to the scalp first (it might have been 5 or 6 strands - close together, on each side of the part), then I put curls on top...I didn't want any flesh color showing through (you can pretty much see this if you click on the red X, of the 4th photo above).
By the way, that photo shows the almost completed head...but I had to trim the neck, and at the last minute I thought she needed one final wavy curl on each side of the part, and one strand right on the part, LOL!... I had left that opening too wide.
Oh also...don't forget to make a hole in the neck of your torso (for the head) when you're finished forming it. If you do forget (like me)...use another toothpick, not the one connected to your head, and basically screw it down in...each turn will make the hole deeper, and it won't distort any of the work you've done, like jamming it down might.