Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › how to handle this question correctly...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how to handle this question correctly... - Page 4

post #46 of 265
what a silly thread. if a customer ask whether you used a box or bake from scratch, simply answer the question. some things are a no-brainer...
Pray The Rosary
Reply
Pray The Rosary
Reply
post #47 of 265
Could we agree that the op did not mention or hint or attempt to lie about anything? Could we delete those extreme comments from the rest of this thread?

It makes as much sense to say, please don't break any other of the other ten commandments if someone asks scratch or mix.

Please don't kill me because you might go to jail.

Please don't clean out my gargage again because stealing from me is wrong.

We mostly get the ten commandments.

Let's grow up this tiny little bit and stop preaching extremes--not that telling the truth ain't important--btw--yes I do look fat in these jeans--happy now?

If you're not getting it--when you say "Don't lie." You've preconcluded that the person does lie or is considering perpetrating a lie--breaking a moral code of honor and commiting a jailable offense.

I for one grant that our op was not even remotely contemplating lying about it.
love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
post #48 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I bake from "scratch" all the time.....just not cakes. I do artisan breads.....how many of you would ask if your bread was made from a mix or not? Jeesh.

(and another FYI, I have only been doing cakes for sale for about 4 years now, and have NEVER been asked that question)

Now, as far as the pre-made fondant/scrach cake thing, again, why go into the details? IF they ask if it is all scratch, taking the advice of some on here - you would have to answer no. (There are some here that don't want us to go into the "details" of I start with a mix) just the FACTS - in which case, those who use premade fondant would have to HONESTLY answer NO - it isn't all from "scratch". Double standard?



If someone asks if EVERYTHING you made was from scratch and it isn't, then say no. It's not about mix or scratch is better. It's about just answering the question truthfully. that's all I'm trying to say. I never said anything about taste, quality, or anything like that. Just answer the question truthfully. like Daily said,"This is a no brainer. Just answer the question".
post #49 of 265
I don't think I called the OP a liar. I think my point was you can answer in a round about way all you want, you'ld be lieing. What this has to do with stealing and murder is beyond me. That is just such a ridiculous point.
post #50 of 265
Quote:
Quote:

It's about just answering the question truthfully



Exactly.....only now, since the premade fondant thing is there, we can explain exactly which PARTS of the cake are not from scratch?

(whereas before that was brought up, it was NO, you HAVE to tell them the truth, don't skirt around it, don't try to sugar coat the fact it isn't from "scratch" - you have to just say NO it isn't)

Yep, double standard, if you ask me.
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
post #51 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor


If someone asks if EVERYTHING you made was from scratch and it isn't, then say no. It's not about mix or scratch is better. It's about just answering the question truthfully. that's all I'm trying to say. I never said anything about taste, quality, or anything like that. Just answer the question truthfully. like Daily said,"This is a no brainer. Just answer the question".



I agree, and I especially like IndyDebi's way of including how many other businesses use mixes as well. Many times the brides are asking because of information they read or have a list of questions they memorized from a website to ask. Educate them on how the taste doesn't depend on whether it's made from scratch or built upon from a mix. icon_biggrin.gif

If you start with a mix, be proud of it! Simply telling the customer that use your own special recipe is deceiving! Like I said before, I prefer not to eat cake mixes not because of a taste difference, but because of the ingredients.
post #52 of 265
If your child was cross eyed or had a majorbreak out on their face and someone mentions it and says sincerely to you in front of the kid, "Oh I'm so sorry your poor child has such an unsightly skin problem."

Dude, just being honest. What's a matter with sincere emphathy and honesty?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd say, I do not exclude any methods or ingredient you get the benefit of over 30 years of experience~~it all depends on the job at hand. I can provide you with an ingredients list when you place your order.

Of course we'd need to add a clause in our contracts that we are polygraph ready. Please initial and date it here ___________

Or you could say, "Yes I use toxic waste but I put some other ingredients in there so to kind of cover up the nasty taste. What date did you want to poison your friends & family at your party?
love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
post #53 of 265
Quote:
Quote:

I'd say, I do not exclude any methods or ingredient you get the benefit of over 30 years of experience~~it all depends on the job at hand. I can provide you with an ingredients list when you place your order.



LOVE that one, I am saving it. (for if I am EVER asked the ridiculous question!)

Thanks K8!
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
post #54 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda


Exactly.....only now, since the premade fondant thing is there, we can explain exactly which PARTS of the cake are not from scratch?

(whereas before that was brought up, it was NO, you HAVE to tell them the truth, don't skirt around it, don't try to sugar coat the fact it isn't from "scratch" - you have to just say NO it isn't)

Yep, double standard, if you ask me.



But the customer isn't asking about the fondant. My buttercream is made from scratch, and I have been practicing making fondant from scratch as well.

However, at the moment, if a customer asked me, "Is everything made from scratch?" I would be honest. I would reply that while the cake and buttercream are, I am currently shipping in Satin Ice fondant. (and I would definitely be sure to explain that it doesn't taste like Wilton's! lol icon_lol.gif)
post #55 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

If your child was cross eyed or had a majorbreak out on their face and someone mentions it and says sincerely to you in front of the kid, "Oh I'm so sorry your poor child has such a horrible skin problem."

Dude, just being honest. What's a matter with sincere emphathy and honesty?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd say, I do not exclude any methods or ingredient you get the benefit of over 30 years of experience~~it all depends on the job at hand. I can provide you with an ingredients list when you place your order.

Of course we'd need to add a clause in our contracts that we are polygraph ready. Please initial and date it here ___________

Or you could say, "Yes I use toxic waste but I put some other ingredients in there so to kind of cover up the nasty taste. What date did you want that?



icon_confused.gif Just when I thought you couldn't top steeling & murder. What does being rude & cruel to a child have to do with a client asking if the cake is from scratch? If you see those as the exact same thing, well, heck, I just don't know what to think of that.
post #56 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda


Exactly.....only now, since the premade fondant thing is there, we can explain exactly which PARTS of the cake are not from scratch?

(whereas before that was brought up, it was NO, you HAVE to tell them the truth, don't skirt around it, don't try to sugar coat the fact it isn't from "scratch" - you have to just say NO it isn't)

Yep, double standard, if you ask me.



But the customer isn't asking about the fondant. My buttercream is made from scratch, and I have been practicing making fondant from scratch as well.

However, at the moment, if a customer asked me, "Is everything made from scratch?" I would be honest. I would reply that while the cake and buttercream are, I am currently shipping in fondant. (and I would definitely be sure to explain that it doesn't taste like Wilton's! lol icon_lol.gif)



Do you make your vanilla? Check the ingredients on your flour bag lately?
love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
love me some cake buzzzzz

 

Reply
post #57 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I only bake from scratch and I make my own fondant. BUT if I bought pre-made fondant and a client asked, I would tell them it was pre-made and bought. Once again, I feel everyone is missing the point. No, you don't have to advertise your a mix baker, but if your client asked, why can't you just tell them you start with a base mix. That doesn't have nothing to to do with trade secrets or anything you guys are trying to say. And we're not talking Coca-cola. That's just silly. I'm sorry, but you are talking about lieing. This is not the same thing as buying soda, a Big Mac, or a Cadillac, or anything else. Like the OP said, the lady was upset about paying for a boxed mix cake when she wanted a scratch cake. If your client ask, they are asking for a reason. If it's just as good, then tell the truth. If it's what you don't do & it's what they want, then don't take the order and lie to get their money. Leah_s had the perfect answer, period.




is your high horse named "Trade Secret" icon_smile.gif
God Bless Everyone
Reply
God Bless Everyone
Reply
post #58 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-Dreams

This topic reminded me of a commercial I saw on AOL earlier this week:
icon_lol.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RLqLx1iYI




OMG! I never laughed so hard in all my life! This was too funny!
post #59 of 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I only bake from scratch and I make my own fondant. BUT if I bought pre-made fondant and a client asked, I would tell them it was pre-made and bought. Once again, I feel everyone is missing the point. No, you don't have to advertise your a mix baker, but if your client asked, why can't you just tell them you start with a base mix. That doesn't have nothing to to do with trade secrets or anything you guys are trying to say. And we're not talking Coca-cola. That's just silly. I'm sorry, but you are talking about lieing. This is not the same thing as buying soda, a Big Mac, or a Cadillac, or anything else. Like the OP said, the lady was upset about paying for a boxed mix cake when she wanted a scratch cake. If your client ask, they are asking for a reason. If it's just as good, then tell the truth. If it's what you don't do & it's what they want, then don't take the order and lie to get their money. Leah_s had the perfect answer, period.




is your high horse named "Trade Secret" icon_smile.gif




No. By they, I have two and their called "Perfection" & "Know It All".
post #60 of 265
Thread Starter 
you guys have been busy while i was gone! icon_biggrin.gif
please know i was not intending to mix up a controversy... i wasn't trying to dodge the question...it was her comment on money that i was afraid of insulting.
i use cake mixes...i doctor them...i have made things from scratch too.
i simply took all's advice and said...i do start with a mix. but i don't finish with one.
happy monday!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › how to handle this question correctly...