Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Customer tossed my cake??!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Customer tossed my cake??! - Page 6  

post #76 of 97
The OP is not responding, because she didn't care for the turn the thread took. She did offer her customer a 10% refund, which was refused, because of the LONG hair they found, after they cut the cake. For the record, the OP has short hair. SO, yeah, this was buyer's remorse. Everyone handles their business their way. We don't have to agree. And on that note, happy cakeing everyone.
post #77 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

..... which was refused, because of the LONG hair they found, after they cut the cake. For the record, the OP has short hair.


Just as a side story, way back when, I worked in fast food in high school. A dining room customer returned his fries because there was a black hair laying on top of them. We gave him a new fry, but ......

I was working (long blonde hair); my best friend was working (long blonde hair); my sister was working (long red hair); a guy from our school was working (short blonde hair).

Customer? Had short black hair.

Things that make ya go "hmmmmmmm......!" icon_rolleyes.gif
post #78 of 97
Your cake was darling and well worth the money!!!

I just got finished writing a check for $119.00 to a guy for cleaning my carpets. He was here for 45-55 minutes!
...talk about your childhood wishes, you can even eat the dishes!
"Come inside", said the bird to the mouse. I'll show you what there is in a treathouse.
(licensed and inspected home kitchen)
...talk about your childhood wishes, you can even eat the dishes!
"Come inside", said the bird to the mouse. I'll show you what there is in a treathouse.
(licensed and inspected home kitchen)
post #79 of 97
There are two specific business blunders I have done because I didn't think before I spoke.

I told one bride to pull her head out of her asp (but used the real word that I won't type here) and to stop talking to and treating me like I was a toddler because if she wanted to do business in my shop that she wasn't going to be my boss and tell me what to do.

The second one was telling a customer they had their head so far up their asp that they needed a window installed in their belly if they had a chance of ever seeing the light of day again.

Both were in the middle of my shop, during business hours in front of other customers. I was beyond fed up with them, they were screaming at me and I remember a sense of calm coming over me and then my mouth opened up and words came out.

Was it unprofessional? Absolutely! Should I have done it? Nope.

So OP if you read this, and are questioning if you should have sent what you did worded...I've been there and share my story so you don't feel so alone with the "you shouldn't have done that".

I can bet you many others who have posted here can share a story or to where they've done something similar. We can laugh now but not when it was happening. You'll laugh too over this some day.

*hugs to you* Dealing with this side of business stinks.
post #80 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by amielyn

I just have to chime in regarding some of the responses. We can all put in our two cents regarding how we would have responded, or even how we think the OP should have responded, but we really should keep our postings civil and polite. In particular, Janette, your reply was very juvenile, and un-called for. You can certainly state your opinion, but doing so ina manner thet belittles others is more than unprofessional, it is just plain rude. Let's try to maintain the happy, family atmosphere that makes this site so special!



Ok, let's back up here for a minute. "I" did not attack anyone here. I had something nice to say about another members post. Someone else came out of the woodwork and came after "me". I read that post over and over and could not take it any other way.

You want to talk about being civil and polite? What do you call the person who attacked me? Did I say anything that justified that remark - no. My response was juvenile, I couldn't say what I really wanted to say. Uncalled for - I don't turn the other cheek.


"I" belittled someone? What was it you call that was done to me? I suggest before you throw my name around you have good reason.
legal, not legal, I don't care
legal, not legal, I don't care
post #81 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

..... which was refused, because of the LONG hair they found, after they cut the cake. For the record, the OP has short hair.


Just as a side story, way back when, I worked in fast food in high school. A dining room customer returned his fries because there was a black hair laying on top of them. We gave him a new fry, but ......

I was working (long blonde hair); my best friend was working (long blonde hair); my sister was working (long red hair); a guy from our school was working (short blonde hair).

Customer? Had short black hair.

Things that make ya go "hmmmmmmm......!" icon_rolleyes.gif



That was an old trick used back when I worked in a resturant. Usually it was after they ate most of it and was looking for a full refund.
legal, not legal, I don't care
legal, not legal, I don't care
post #82 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Quote:
Originally Posted by amielyn

I just have to chime in regarding some of the responses. We can all put in our two cents regarding how we would have responded, or even how we think the OP should have responded, but we really should keep our postings civil and polite. In particular, Janette, your reply was very juvenile, and un-called for. You can certainly state your opinion, but doing so ina manner thet belittles others is more than unprofessional, it is just plain rude. Let's try to maintain the happy, family atmosphere that makes this site so special!



Ok, let's back up here for a minute. "I" did not attack anyone here. I had something nice to say about another members post. Someone else came out of the woodwork and came after "me". I read that post over and over and could not take it any other way.

You want to talk about being civil and polite? What do you call the person who attacked me? Did I say anything that justified that remark - no. My response was juvenile, I couldn't say what I really wanted to say. Uncalled for - I don't turn the other cheek.


"I" belittled someone? What was it you call that was done to me? I suggest before you throw my name around you have good reason.




AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THE OP ISN'T RESPONDING.

GET OVER YOURSELF AND MOVE ON PEOPLE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT IS BEING POSTED THEN GO TO ANOTHER THREAD!!!!!!!!!

I hope the OP got everything worked out. OP you should just ignore all the rudeness and childlike behavior and always do what you feel is best for you, screw everyone else. Blunt but true.
Mean People Suck, Cool People Rock
Mean People Suck, Cool People Rock
post #83 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by amielyn

I just have to chime in regarding some of the responses. We can all put in our two cents regarding how we would have responded, or even how we think the OP should have responded, but we really should keep our postings civil and polite. In particular, Janette, your reply was very juvenile, and un-called for. You can certainly state your opinion, but doing so ina manner thet belittles others is more than unprofessional, it is just plain rude. Let's try to maintain the happy, family atmosphere that makes this site so special!




I think that you can also put "your two cents" in without having to single one person out in this whole thread. That my dear is JUVENILE. icon_smile.gif
FTP!
FTP!
post #84 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I would probably tell her,"Good thing my hair is red, so we both know it's not mine. I noticed your husband's hair is brown & he excepted the cake. How unfortunate you through the cake away as it was your husband's hair". Yup, play nice & sweet & dumb...since that's what she thinks you are. Trust me, she's gonna write you again. She's just waiting for you to say,"I'm so sorry. Let me give you a refund".





Very good response




you think?? this is an unacceptable response from a legit business...



Looking at the above I wrote a positive post. Who is this person that can tell me "you think" and is not being told that was rude.
legal, not legal, I don't care
legal, not legal, I don't care
post #85 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell


Also, objecting to the wording can serve as a reminder to all of our fellow CCers that no matter how direct you might want to be and no matter how "right" you may KNOW you are, and no matter how many of your peers at CC may agree with you, diplomacy, tact and detachment will generally get you farther and demonstrate your professionalism far more than the approach used. Of course won't this all be a hoot if the email DID "work" and put the customer in her place?! icon_biggrin.gif I will admit that some customers themselves are impervious to professionally worded correspondence--I've surely read about enough of those around here. So who knows, maybe the attitude of the OP was just what the doctor ordered and perhaps worked after all. It still doesn't make it "professional" though.



I was very interested in this entire thread until I started reading what everyone has written in the responses in the last three pages. I have had similar situations and I think she handled it just fine. I'm very eager to here how it went with the customer but I certainly don't expect her to want to reply. Honestly, if you all think your not sounding cruel or mean, put yourself in her shoes, and re-read EVERYTHING here. Then tell me how you feel. I did such and ya know what, I got a lot of feelings of shame and embarrassment. Is this what we want to make our fellow cakers feel?

To the OP: I sincerely hope everything worked out well for you and your customer. If I were in your shoes I would have sent that email as well and stand behind it! thumbs_up.gif
post #86 of 97
Melhoneybee,
I truly hope you are having a better day today than yesterday and have been able to put this behind you, either as a learning experience or a unsatisfied customer...imo you can't make everyone happy everyday and sorry but yesterday was your day to receive the backlash. I loved your cake, I also love the book and I thought you captured Max perfectly, I can't wait until the movie comes out.
All the best to you and keep your chin up, we have all been there and back again. Big hugs to you today!!
post #87 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynlovescake

There are two specific business blunders I have done because I didn't think before I spoke.

I told one bride to pull her head out of her asp (but used the real word that I won't type here) and to stop talking to and treating me like I was a toddler because if she wanted to do business in my shop that she wasn't going to be my boss and tell me what to do.

The second one was telling a customer they had their head so far up their asp that they needed a window installed in their belly if they had a chance of ever seeing the light of day again.

Both were in the middle of my shop, during business hours in front of other customers. I was beyond fed up with them, they were screaming at me and I remember a sense of calm coming over me and then my mouth opened up and words came out.

Was it unprofessional? Absolutely! Should I have done it? Nope.

So OP if you read this, and are questioning if you should have sent what you did worded...I've been there and share my story so you don't feel so alone with the "you shouldn't have done that".

I can bet you many others who have posted here can share a story or to where they've done something similar. We can laugh now but not when it was happening. You'll laugh too over this some day.

*hugs to you* Dealing with this side of business stinks.



I've seen much worse than that from business owners who I've worked for. Everybody has their limit.

But you reminded me of my MIL, who once, as a deputy sheriff, pulled a man over for "driving with his head up his a$$" and that's what she told him too icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
post #88 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupcakenameddesire

...what about doing the whole "customer is always right"

I think the only people who honestly believe this anymore are the people who are trying to get a refund for some bogus reason.

I'm starting to agree with what I saw in another thread in the last couple of days: What the heck is going on? There's seems to be a lot of buyer's remorse syndrome going around!




I don't think that's buyers remorse thats predisposition!...I think some people plan for this!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Visit my website.. www.designmeacake.com
Blog: http://designmeacake.wordpress.com/
Check my Gumpaste  and recipe Tutorials in You tube
http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1
Check my store with DVD's and materials that I love
http://designmeacake.biz/DVD...


Visit my website.. www.designmeacake.com
Blog: http://designmeacake.wordpress.com/
Check my Gumpaste  and recipe Tutorials in You tube
http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1
Check my store with DVD's and materials that I love
http://designmeacake.biz/DVD...


post #89 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupcakenameddesire

...what about doing the whole "customer is always right"

I think the only people who honestly believe this anymore are the people who are trying to get a refund for some bogus reason.

I'm starting to agree with what I saw in another thread in the last couple of days: What the heck is going on? There's seems to be a lot of buyer's remorse syndrome going around!




I don't think that's buyers remorse thats predisposition!...I think some people plan for this!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif



You're right Edna and I think we all know someone like this.

We used to go out with a few couples from time to time and one of the husbands made a point of finding something wrong every single time we went.

Whether it be a "hair in his food" or "fish tasted off" or "dirty silverware" etc. He would ALWAYS try to get his meal taken off the bill. He would be so proud of himself when he succeeded.....it was so embarrassing to the rest of us.

It got so uncomfortable going out with them that we've distanced ourselves from them.

I've PM'd the OP and the e-mail she sent did NOT generate a bitter attack from her client. As LaBellflor said above, she offered the client 10% which was declined. So all turned out OK.
post #90 of 97
Maybe this could explain what may have happened... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifImage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating Business
This thread is locked  
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating Business › Customer tossed my cake??!